• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,889 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2023 at 7:14 PM, Courageous Cat said:

I can attest to this being true. I have 2 adult children 21, 32 living back at home. I'm 55 and when I turned 16 I couldn't wait to get the %$#$ out from under my parents rule. Left for service at 18 and never looked back. This world has turned nucking futs

The problem is that parents nowadays want to be their kids' "friends" and won't force them to take responsibility for anything. I moved away from home permanently at 23, and even that was considered old back in the 90s. (I had been away at college on and off for several years before that.)

On 4/24/2023 at 4:19 AM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 4/23/2023 at 4:14 PM, Courageous Cat said:

I can attest to this being true. I have 2 adult children 21, 32 living back at home. I'm 55 and when I turned 16 I couldn't wait to get the %$#$ out from under my parents rule. Left for service at 18 and never looked back. This world has turned nucking futs

The problem is that parents nowadays want to be their kids' "friends" and won't force them to take responsibility for anything. I moved away from home permanently at 23, and even that was considered old back in the 90s. (I had been away at college on and off for several years before that.)

Kids now days cannot afford not to live with their parent's.

I live in California all the stores have self-checkout there goes a lot of jobs gas is almost $6 a gallon. I go out to eat for 2 and its almost $100.

A college degree only means that someone hiring you knows that you spent years getting to school on time and showing up so the odds are good that you will show up in time to work not that He/She cares about anything else.:preach:

Edited by woowoo

On 4/23/2023 at 7:32 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I still don't understand this kind of bidding.  This just sold a year ago. On Heritage.

image.thumb.png.005bfb472e9bcef6b394629dbf7ff5d9.png

Somebody stop the insanity!

What part don't you understand here?  ???

Haven't we seen this exact same scenario played out out with respect to speculative stocks and movie hyped related comic books where the unbridled hope and expectations are always so much greater than the confirmed and certified reality itself?  hm

As clearly evident by the slew of raw and even some restored copies of pre-hero Adventure and More Fun in the lower profile Sunday/Monday weekly auctions from February and March of 2022 that sold for higher mutiples to condition guide than their certified graded copies were able to fetch in the subsequent higher profile Signature Auctions later that same Spring and summer.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/24/2023 at 12:35 PM, lou_fine said:

What part don't you understand here?  ???

Haven't we seen this exact same scenario played out out with respect to speculative stocks and movie hyped related comic books where the unbridled hope and expectations are always so much greater than the confirmed and certified reality itself?  hm

As clearly evident by the slew of raw and even some restored copies of pre-hero Adventure and More Fun in the lower profile Sunday/Monday weekly auctions from February and March of 2022 that sold for higher mutiples to condition guide than their certified graded copies were able to fetch in the subsequent higher profile Signature Auctions later that same Spring and summer.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Yes that makes good sense. (Warning: Long winded post ahead).

I have a natural inclination to always try to understand the reasons why things are the way they are, with prety much everything, especially pertaining to society and trends. Why are people heavier today? Why do so many people get tattoos? Why does nobody stop at stop signs anymore?  Why have most Silver Age hero books gone down in prices little by little since way back in 2021/22 while Golden Age books just keep going up up up up up with each sale? I guess the simple answer is because more people than ever want them.

One factor could be people are getting tired of the (mostly Marvel) heroes in general and also of all the never ending and in my opinion mostly not very good hero movies. I haven't watched many the past decade so maybe I'm wrong that most are just awful. Could it be more new collectors? I'm sure that's a factor but then again I believe most people who get into comics don't jump right in to GA stuff but maybe some who got into comics during 2020 to 2022 are now going after them. 

People are realizing maybe it's better to "invest" in books with under 100 graded copies than in books that have thousands, even if it is a 1st appearance of whoever. 

Big money investor types and groups could also be part of it like they seem to have done with the big Silver/Bronze keys a couple years ago. I think mostly current and even long time Silver/Bronze collectors are waking up more and more to how cool GA books are. I'd include myself in that list just a few years ago I say with regret and little bit of shame. If you think about it using a random book as an example, say Ghostly Weird 122 which has been on fire the past bunch of auctions, how many new collectors does it really take to drive the price of that book up? I think not many. Even if only 100 new people in the world in the past year started going after GA stuff, that can really drive prices up considering most books only come around every few months or years especially with the high demand really cool books. Just that little extra competition is all it takes as opposed to books that are always available even if they are expensive. The restored Wonder Comics 1 that went for 19K a few weeks ago. A year or two ago it  most likely would have sold for half that. Only takes a few people out there to make that happen.

Take that More Fun 45, if 2 years ago 20 people seriously wanted to add one to their collection and yesterday 40 people did, well there goes the neighborhood. doh!

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 4/23/2023 at 11:48 AM, waaaghboss said:

It is pretty iconic to my age group.  I read that first issue to death, and all my friends had a copy.  I think it might have been given out as a promo or something because that first issue was everywhere.  I'd love a clean copy for nostalgia,  just not at 6 figures.

There is a promo copy as well aside from the regular #1 copy. I heard the promo version is even rarer

On 4/24/2023 at 8:13 AM, woowoo said:

I live in California all the stores have self-checkout there goes a lot of jobs gas is almost $6 a gallon. I go out to eat for 2 and its almost $100.

A college degree only means that someone hiring you knows that you spent years getting to school on time and showing up so the odds are good that you will show up in time to work not that He/She cares about anything else.:preach:

I live in Boulder, CO where a 2 bedroom condo can be had for $450k to $2 million, dinner at a so-so place for 3 is $150, Sushi is $250 for the same 3 (and we aren’t eating the expensive options) and a steakhouse trip is $600 (but it is a really good place).  Mid grade gas is $4.50 with a lot of wiggle up or down.  My son is 20 and living at home but going to school (trade school).  If he gets a job in the area after he is done he will likely move into one of our condos because no way he can afford rent in the area. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:19 PM, batman_fan said:

I live in Boulder, CO where a 2 bedroom condo can be had for $450k to $2 million, dinner at a so-so place for 3 is $150, Sushi is $250 for the same 3 (and we aren’t eating the expensive options) and a steakhouse trip is $600 (but it is a really good place).  Mid grade gas is $4.50 with a lot of wiggle up or down.  My son is 20 and living at home but going to school (trade school).  If he gets a job in the area after he is done he will likely move into one of our condos because no way he can afford rent in the area. 

I moved out a few months shy of my 18th birthday. My parents were pretty cool but they had rules I chose not to comply with.

I was working and finished High School. Wasn’t always easy and would have been a lot easier in my parent’s house. But I wanted to drive my own train. After high school, I traveled the country and out of country for a couple years before I came back and went to college. Holding down many full time jobs. I have zero regrets and have fond memories of those times.

We made both our daughters get part time jobs when they turned 16. And made sure they kept their education. We instilled a solid work ethic in them. Both were on their own and taking care of themselves at 20 and 21. Both have excellent, well paying jobs now and are both very happy. And yes, we paid for their college educations. 

Not speaking of you but so many parents spoil and do everything for their kids. They don’t prepare them for the real world. Several of our friends have kids in their middle 30’s still living at home. These kids are missing out on so many great experiences. 

On 4/23/2023 at 7:32 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I still don't understand this kind of bidding.  This just sold a year ago. On Heritage.

image.thumb.png.005bfb472e9bcef6b394629dbf7ff5d9.png

Somebody stop the insanity!

I don't see this sale as particularly insane- less than 1k above last years sale for a very scarce book.  And this one's a beauty.  For the seller, 25% profit is a nice return, but at this price, hardly a windfall.  Perhaps there were underbidders last year determined not miss another chance.  I've lost auctions for very cool scarce books, which I now regret not throwing down at least another grand for.  If those books showed up at auction next week, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.  

On 4/24/2023 at 10:13 AM, woowoo said:

Going out to eat isn't a necessity. I've gone out to eat maybe 5 times in the past year (and never spent more than $20 or $25, including taxes and the tip). I buy groceries: potatoes, sacks of flour, lentils, onions, tomatoes, etc. I rarely buy anything pre-packaged. I spend about $200 per month on groceries for myself. For many years before I saved up for a down payment on a house, I rented rooms—small ones. The times I rented an apartment or condo, I always had at least one roommate.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/24/2023 at 4:27 PM, Robot Man said:

I moved out a few months shy of my 18th birthday. My parents were pretty cool but they had rules I chose not to comply with.

I was working and finished High School. Wasn’t always easy and would have been a lot easier in my parent’s house. But I wanted to drive my own train. After high school, I traveled the country and out of country for a couple years before I came back and went to college. Holding down many full time jobs. I have zero regrets and have fond memories of those times.

We made both our daughters get part time jobs when they turned 16. And made sure they kept their education. We instilled a solid work ethic in them. Both were on their own and taking care of themselves at 20 and 21. Both have excellent, well paying jobs now and are both very happy. And yes, we paid for their college educations. 

Not speaking of you but so many parents spoil and do everything for their kids. They don’t prepare them for the real world. Several of our friends have kids in their middle 30’s still living at home. These kids are missing out on so many great experiences. 

My oldest brother and his wife were renting a decent house in the same town as my mom.  The owner defaulted on the loan and they had to move out.  They moved in with my mom for a few months while they got a new place.  That was over 30 years ago.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:19 PM, batman_fan said:

Have you tried Uchi yet? 

On 4/24/2023 at 6:06 PM, Robot Man said:

BA and SA are the gateway drugs to GA. Once one realizes how easy (if you want to spend the money), it is to obtain even the top keys in BA/SA and you seek the challenge, GA is so much more fun. And once you open your eyes and mind to the myriad of great genres in GA, it’s hard to go back.

I, luckily realized this early. Wasn’t hard to complete the later stuff but I found my money and efforts were more rewarding in GA. All about the “thrill of the hunt”…

Yep. And I envy a respect you guys and girls here who did that. That leads me to another thought. Well there might be 20, 50, 100 plus of any particular book out there, thing is people ain't selling them very much. Maybe now a little more that with the prices they are going for but for the most part old time collectors just aren't selling their precious gems. 

On 4/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, batman_fan said:

My oldest brother and his wife were renting a decent house in the same town as my mom.  The owner defaulted on the loan and they had to move out.  They moved in with my mom for a few months while they got a new place.  That was over 30 years ago.

:facepalm: unless they are taking good care of her, they should have gotton the boot years ago.

My younger brother raised his kids with an iron fist. No video games, no rap music, no dating until they were 17 and no working.

His son went to college where my brother has a vacation home in MT. He promptly, got his girl friend pregnant and dropped out of school. Living in my brothers house. 8 years later he has 3 kids and is delivering pizzas. His still girlfriend is on welfare. He wrecked my brother’s truck and trashed the house and pays no rent. My brother wants to sell the house but he can’t bring himself to put out his grandkids. What a mess. I feel for him…

On 4/24/2023 at 4:49 PM, Professor K said:

Yep. And I envy a respect you guys and girls here who did that. That leads me to another thought. Well there might be 20, 50, 100 plus of any particular book out there, thing is people ain't selling them very much. Maybe now a little more that with the prices they are going for but for the most part old time collectors just aren't selling their precious gems. 

I have sold off some stuff but keep the good stuff. I don’t need the money and still enjoy my collection. The stuff I sell now finances my old car and motorcycles and more important, traveling. Experiences are worth more to me now. 

On 4/24/2023 at 6:18 PM, Robot Man said:

:facepalm: unless they are taking good care of her, they should have gotton the boot years ago.

My younger brother raised his kids with an iron fist. No video games, no rap music, no dating until they were 17 and no working.

His son went to college where my brother has a vacation home in MT. He promptly, got his girl friend pregnant and dropped out of school. Living in my brothers house. 8 years later he has 3 kids and is delivering pizzas. His still girlfriend is on welfare. He wrecked my brother’s truck and trashed the house and pays no rent. My brother wants to sell the house but he can’t bring himself to put out his grandkids. What a mess. I feel for him…

For probably 30 years of that time they did some maintenance on her house (mow grass, etc).  My mom is in very bad health now and they take care of her which is very comforting on my side.  When my mom passes, her house goes to them which is fine in my book.  I don't need the money and figure they have been taking care of her for about 2 years.

On 4/25/2023 at 12:27 AM, Robot Man said:

2023 is a world away from 1970. The 70s and 80s were the golden earning years for the workforce. I just heard an interesting point about international money flows from Hugh Hendry: China deflects all the Dollars earned from exports back to the USA not letting them into China via buying US government bonds. This makes everything in the US ever more expensive up to the point of unaffordability.

Interesting also: there is much much more money in the world than things to buy with it. What does that mean?

On 4/25/2023 at 3:42 AM, GermanFan said:

2023 is a world away from 1970. The 70s and 80s were the golden earning years for the workforce. I just heard an interesting point about international money flows from Hugh Hendry: China deflects all the Dollars earned from exports back to the USA not letting them into China via buying US government bonds. This makes everything in the US ever more expensive up to the point of unaffordability.

Interesting also: there is much much more money in the world than things to buy with it. What does that mean?