• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

I've been following the discovery and progress with what is now called "The Feed Store Collection"  on Reddit for a few months, and it seems to be coming to a culmination of sorts as quite a few of the comics are going on sale in a Heritage Auction in a couple of months.

Here's how it kind of started on Reddit (somewhat "officially", anyway) : Story Time - How I came across hundreds of GA comics.

Here are some of the grades received.

Here is a link to the comics up for the coming auction on Heritage.

I believe there are around 800 comics in the collection, and most, if not all are Golden Age, and the kicker is a lot of them are in really good condition for the era.

I guess it should be no real surprise to us by now, but looks like this GGA classic cover book here is continuing to do swimingly well:  :luhv:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/seven-seas-comics-4-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/40233-81100.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #4 (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white pages....

Sold for what I believe is a record $19,200 for this condition grade in today's earlier Matt Baker auction.  :applause:

On 8/18/2023 at 12:08 AM, lou_fine said:

I guess it should be no real surprise to us by now, but looks like this GGA classic cover book here is continuing to do swimingly well:  :luhv:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/adventure/seven-seas-comics-4-universal-phoenix-feature-1947-cgc-fn-55-off-white-pages/a/40233-81100.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Seven Seas Comics #4 (Universal Phoenix Feature, 1947) CGC FN- 5.5 Off-white pages....

Sold for what I believe is a record $19,200 for this condition grade in today's earlier Matt Baker auction.  :applause:

Lou, Is this considered the most sought after/popular Matt Baker cover? Or is there even a cover that collectors would agree on for that designation?

On 8/18/2023 at 9:21 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Lou, Is this considered the most sought after/popular Matt Baker cover? Or is there even a cover that collectors would agree on for that designation?

Giant Comics Edition #12 would be up there - and I believe Phantom Lady #17 continues to be attributed to him (although regularly debated)?

On 8/18/2023 at 3:08 AM, lou_fine said:

I meant to bid on a couple of the romance books in that auction but completely forgot about it. They have too many auctions now; it's impossible to keep track of all of them.

On 8/18/2023 at 2:40 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Giant Comics Edition #12 would be up there - and I believe Phantom Lady #17 continues to be attributed to him (although regularly debated)?

Two of my favorite top 10 in my collection. So glad to have bought them when I did and hung on to them! 

On 8/18/2023 at 6:26 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I meant to bid on a couple of the romance books in that auction but completely forgot about it. They have too many auctions now; it's impossible to keep track of all of them.

The live auction timing is also different than the weekly auctions, or maybe it's just because there are fewer books. I tuned in around 8 PM EST like I usually do for the Sunday night auctions, but nearly everything was already sold.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, Point Five said:

The live auction timing is also different than the weekly auctions, or maybe it's just because there are fewer books. I tuned in around 8 PM EST like I usually do for the Sunday night auctions, but nearly everything was already sold.

The Showcase comic auctions are generally Thursday nights at 6PM CT. Some of them are short and sweet and over within 2 hours.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:11 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Phantom Lady 17

Giant Comics Edition 12 

Cinderella Love 25

Seven Seas 4

Those are the most desired/valuable Baker covers in order. The GCE 12 and C Love 25 are pretty even. A 5.5 of any of the first three would bring more than that Seven Seas 4 from what I’ve seen. 

You'd better put an asterisk next to that PL 17! Some of us aren't convinced that Matt Baker had a hand in that cover. Others think that he did the face and maybe the hair but nothing else.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:33 AM, Point Five said:

That's because you are tuning in about a hour too late for the beginning of the auction as both the Sunday-Tuesday weekly and Thursday Showcase auctions start at 7 PM EST or 4 PM PST.  :gossip:

I believe the Matt Baker Showcase went quickly this time becasue it had something like only 168 individual lots.  (thumbsu

The one which I am looking forward to is the upcoming Fox Showcase Auction since it seems to feature a relatively deep run of both the Mystery Men and Wonderworld runs, albeit not in the type of condition which would attract the more deep pocketed bidders like our very own @tth2 which means we might just have a shot here:  :luhv:  :bigsmile:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+794+793+792+4294936607&limitTo=4294936607&ic=homepage-search-A-Y-071316

On 8/18/2023 at 11:42 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

The Showcase comic auctions are generally Thursday nights at 6PM CT. Some of them are short and sweet and over within 2 hours.

I'm usually working till about 7PM CT (8PM ET where I am), so I wouldn't be able to put in any live bids on the earlier lots. I could always put in proxy bids, but I don't ever remember being the high bidder on a book when using a proxy bid.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:36 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You'd better put an asterisk next to that PL 17! Some of us aren't convinced that Matt Baker had a hand in that cover. Others think that he did the face and maybe the hair but nothing else.

Oh, I’m aware. I nearly did the asterisk. 

Hmmmmm.............this upcoming Showcase Auction appears to be rather intriguing from the POV of who the consignor potentially might be:  hm

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+794+793+792+4294935913&limitTo=4294935913&ic=homepage-search-A-Y-071316

From the Spectacular Collection of Dr. Dave Anderson and is this the same Dave Anderson that we all seem to know or NOT know so well here? (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/18/2023 at 1:39 PM, lou_fine said:

The one which I am looking forward to is the upcoming Fox Showcase Auction since it seems to feature a relatively deep run of both the Mystery Men and Wonderworld runs, albeit not in the type of condition which would attract the more deep pocketed bidders like our very own @tth2 which means we might just have a shot here:  :luhv:  :bigsmile:

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=52+794+793+792+4294936607&limitTo=4294936607&ic=homepage-search-A-Y-071316

Nice!  (thumbsu

On 8/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Is it just me or has HA's shipping gone up again?

The shipping for a single slab in the last auction has now come back to me as costing $100usd, while my previous single slab order of similar value last year was only $75. Yikeeess.

I think I know why. USPS insurance price went up really high. Maybe other carriers have as well. The past few books this year that I was going to send usps insured I instead sent registered mail because it was much less expensive. It used to be the opposite. 

Some really great books in this months auction event. Gonna be Fun Fun Fun.

On 8/26/2023 at 5:18 AM, Professor K said:

The past few books this year that I was going to send usps insured I instead sent registered mail because it was much less expensive.

Aren't insurance and registered different things?  If the plane or truck carrying your registered but uninsured books goes up in flames, are you going to be reimbursed?

Wow.. I cannot recall back to back auctions where the ultra rare tales of terror annual #1. First comicconnect just closed at almost 25k for a 5.0 and now a more affordable 1.8 on ha with bidding under 2k still. 
This has always been a tough book, no Gaines file copies etc ….any predictions… 5k minimum for me