• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I was interested, but not at that price. That 7.5 could easily be surpassed eventually. Mid-grade copies of that issue are common. How rare can high-grade copies really be?

My copy of #10 is still the highest-graded copy in the census. I paid $300 for it. My #19 is tied for highest-graded; that one was $180.

2304161508441.jpg

0201171137581.jpg

Well, if that 7.5 got that price, we may find out how rare high-grade copies can be. :D  I was interested in it, as well, but, yeah ... not at that price.  But I didn't think I had a chance going into it, anyway, so was just watching it to see what it would sell for.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:54 PM, Telegan said:

Well, if that 7.5 got that price, we may find out how rare high-grade copies can be. :D  I was interested in it, as well, but, yeah ... not at that price.  But I didn't think I had a chance going into it, anyway, so was just watching it to see what it would sell for.

I think there are a lot of guys who just have no interest in slabbing. Heck, some of the guys who built their collections decades ago have probably never heard of CGC.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/16/2023 at 8:02 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think there are a lot of guys who just have no interest in slabbing. Heck, some of the guys who built their collections decades ago have probably never heard of CGC.

This is true, but how many situations will there be where their relatives (or estate) are going to inherit some of these comics once they pass on?  That's basically what happened with the Feed Store Collection.  Then came the higher-graded slabs from that collection.  All it takes is one or two of these type of situations.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:28 PM, Telegan said:

This is true, but how many situations will there be where their relatives (or estate) are going to inherit some of these comics once they pass on?  That's basically what happened with the Feed Store Collection.  Then came the higher-graded slabs from that collection.  All it takes is one or two of these type of situations.

I agree; it's just a matter of time.

On 9/16/2023 at 6:02 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Are you referring to long time collectors who have multiple copies of some of these latest hot PCH titles and the likes in their personal collection?  hm

Because if you are, believe me, they are well aware of CGC and also what's been happening with these auctions.  They simply want to sit back and watch the show as prices continue to accelerate as they have absolutely no reason at all to do something that might potentially devalue their books going forward. :gossip:  :popcorn:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/17/2023 at 12:19 AM, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to long time collectors who have multiple copies of some of these latest hot PCH titles and the likes in their personal collection?  hm

Because if you are, believe me, they are well aware of CGC and also what's been happening with these auctions.  They simply want to sit back and watch the show as prices continue to accelerate as they have absolutely no reason at all to do something that might potentially devalue their books going forward. :gossip:  :popcorn:

Some, maybe. Guys who wait too long are running a risk. The guy with an 8.0 would be better off selling now; once somebody else's 9.0 shows up, his 8.0 will be worth much less.

I have no doubt that some collectors who retired from actively buying years ago have never heard of CGC. Others may have heard of it yet have no idea that horror books have skyrocketed the way they have. I took a 10-year break from collecting from 2002 to 2012, but I still had a collection sitting in my closet. How many times do you think I checked comic book prices during that 10-year period? I'll tell you: zero.

On 9/16/2023 at 9:42 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The guy with an 8.0 would be better off selling now; once somebody else's 9.0 shows up, his 8.0 will be worth much less.

Unless the 9.0 copy sells for a stunning record price which might just propel the 8.0 copy to a even higher price point, instead of a lower one.  hm  (thumbsu

On 9/16/2023 at 11:05 PM, szav said:

Don't think PL17 loses much of its value, if any at all, even if they took Baker's name off it anyway.  It's got a special place in comic history due to its prominent feature in SOTI, and just for being as risqué as it was back in the 1940s.  I think it was highly prized and regarded long before most people began to really care who Matt Baker was circa 2010.  At the time you could get a CL 25 for 100$ but not a PL17.

Speaking of Phantom Ladies, the title is about the hottest there is in GA, sales of the regular issues in all grades having gone above and beyond even the 2022 pandemic sales peak recently.

image.png.9b21dc6a07978631d232a01c771ddeb5.png

image.png.c7df98a870fddd0301f18b6f25c76179.png

All very valid. I hadn't considered SOTI. But I will say the Baker boom certainly didn't hurt its value!

How much were Phantom Ladies worth in the 90s?

On 9/17/2023 at 2:05 AM, lou_fine said:

Unless the 9.0 copy sells for a stunning record price which might just propel the 8.0 copy to a even higher price point, instead of a lower one.  hm  (thumbsu

I don't think so. With these horror books, it's all about having the highest-graded copy to guys paying the insane prices. It may only be a small number of guys competing for the highest-graded copies. If that's the case, it might only take one or two guys dying for prices to collapse.

I care more about having white pages than having the highest grade, and fortunately for me these number-in-the-corner guys don't seem to care about page quality, so mid-grade copies with white pages are often still affordable.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/17/2023 at 3:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

With these horror books, it's all about having the highest-graded copy to guys paying the insane prices. It may only be a small number of guys competing for the highest-graded copies. If that's the case, it might only take one or two guys dying for prices to collapse.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem to be the case for the high flying in-demand horror books like Punch 12 and Chamber of Chills 19 amongst others, since even the non-highest mid grade copies seems to be going for crazy prices.  hm  (shrug)

On 9/17/2023 at 1:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, it certainly doesn't seem to be the case for the high flying in-demand horror books like Punch 12 and Chamber of Chills 19 amongst others, since even the non-highest mid grade copies seems to be going for crazy prices.  hm  (shrug)

You're comparing bananas and pomegranates.

Punch 12 is a relatively scarce book that has long since established itself as a classic cover/key.

As for CoC 19, prices on that book really don't make sense considering how common the book is, but it has become a sought-after book—why I don't know.

For random horror books, the gap between highest-graded copies and mid-grade copies remains quite wide.

On 9/17/2023 at 3:41 AM, LadyDeath said:

All very valid. I hadn't considered SOTI. But I will say the Baker boom certainly didn't hurt its value!

How much were Phantom Ladies worth in the 90s?

I got my PL 17, cgc 4.5, for $2400.00 in 2009. Comics were depressed along with everything else. I got it on a lowball offer.

On 9/17/2023 at 2:33 PM, comicnoir said:

I got my PL 17, cgc 4.5, for $2400.00 in 2009. Comics were depressed along with everything else. I got it on a lowball offer.

Yours is somewhat on par for its time. What blows my mind is as late as 2014 prices were nowhere near what they are now.

The "best" most recent price I can find is a 3.0 in 2019 for $4320.

This past April, a 3.0 sold for almost 17k. Absolutely insane spike.

Capture.JPG

Edited by LadyDeath

On 9/17/2023 at 3:41 PM, LadyDeath said:

Yours is somewhat on par for its time. What blows my mind is as late as 2014 prices were nowhere near what they are now.

The "best" most recent price I can find is a 3.0 in 2019 for $4320.

This past April, a 3.0 sold for almost 17k. Absolutely insane spike.

Capture.JPG

My copy is the first one shown. I was an underbidder. Next year the winner was selling it on ebay for what he paid. I offered him a lowball which he grudgingly took.

On 9/17/2023 at 8:55 PM, Telegan said:

Gotta ask, but ... how often does a comic go for $1 (+$29 BP) on Heritage?  I don't watch Heritage auctions that closely, but geez.  I almost put a bid on it out of sympathy, but couldn't reach the trigger fast enough. :D

image.thumb.png.fea3b5f42cb9131a8fe527546ced5350.png

I've slabbed some low-dollar-value books when I had a CGC grading credit that was about to expire, but even I wouldn't have slabbed that.

On 9/16/2023 at 5:19 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

The Actions went a little low the first time. I recall that there was very little action (no pun intended) in the first few minutes of one of the Saturday Promise auctions, and with few live bidders the auctioneer burned through the Promise Actions within minutes. Anybody who logged in a few minutes late would have missed the opportunity to bid on them.

I am sorry but I have to disagree that the reason the Action Comics did relatively well compared to the Detective Comics in the last Signature Auction was  due to a few bidders logging in late.  If we look at how Wonder Woman did in the last Signature Auction, 18 were offered for auction.  7 showed about 20% losses.  2 were about the same but 9 showed increases in winning bids.  A pattern similar to the Action Comics.  Yet all 12 Detectives offered for auction showed declines.  I have to think that there were more "deep pocket" Batman buyers during the first go around.