• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,938 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2023 at 3:53 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

It's supply and demand. The strong prices on low-grade copies were the result of a handful of passionate collectors trying to get their hands on copies when copies where scarce in the marketplace. Those strong prices brought other copies out of the woodwork, so now the lower-grade copies aren't going to fare particularly well.

All depends on the book. There are a lot of GA books I am looking for that just never turn up in ANY grade. Guide? I just bid the most I am willing to pay. I usually lose. It’s not that I am cheap but more that the demand is so high. The lower grade market is and always be strong on the right material. 

On 10/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, tth2 said:

If everything sells at multiples of Guide, then what's the point of Guide?

The Guide is just what the word means. A Guide. At one time, it was the Gospel. If you sold Church books at multiples, you were a rip off. Time and the market have changed. Big money has changed everything.

But, conversely, there are many books that are worth less than guide. Sometimes multiples less.

Serious collectors study the market and pay accordingly now. They know the Guide is just a bench mark and use it accordingly. 

On 10/10/2023 at 6:07 AM, tth2 said:

Why, dear Sir.........................it would appear that you've got the equation only half right.  :gossip:

You need the guide values as the base to determine the discount to guide you are willing to pay when buying a book and then as the base to determine the multiple to guide that you are willing to take when selling a book.  (:

On 10/10/2023 at 7:36 AM, lou_fine said:

Why, dear Sir.........................it would appear that you've got the equation only half right.  :gossip:

You need the guide values as the base to determine the discount to guide you are willing to pay when buying a book and then as the base to determine the multiple to guide that you are willing to take when selling a book.  (:

My heirs know that when they sell my collection that if anyone pulls out a guide, throw them out the door…:fear:

On 10/10/2023 at 10:24 PM, Robot Man said:
On 10/10/2023 at 9:07 PM, tth2 said:

The Guide is just what the word means. A Guide. At one time, it was the Gospel. If you sold Church books at multiples, you were a rip off. Time and the market have changed. Big money has changed everything.

But, conversely, there are many books that are worth less than guide. Sometimes multiples less.

Serious collectors study the market and pay accordingly now. They know the Guide is just a bench mark and use it accordingly. 

rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion
noun

1. a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

I had interest in the TAR 32, but the next bid increment would have taken it over $2K for me including shipping and sales tax. I understand we're used to nutty prices with Baker, but $2K for a 3.5 (albeit a really, really nice one) is still an awfully strong price in my book.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, tth2 said:
On 10/10/2023 at 9:24 AM, Robot Man said:
On 10/10/2023 at 8:07 AM, tth2 said:

rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion
noun

1. a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

The Guide

noun

1. a guide.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, Point Five said:

I had interest in the TAR 32, but the next bid increment would have taken it over $2K for me including shipping and sales tax. I understand we're used to nutty prices with Baker, but $2K for a 3.5 (albeit a really, really nice one) is still an awfully strong price in my book.

Hey! Did you know that was my book? I think you did. If I knew it was going to sell at the price It did I'da sold it here for 1,500......... No Paypal. :bigsmile:

On 10/10/2023 at 12:52 PM, Professor K said:

Hey! Did you know that was my book? I think you did. If I knew it was going to sell at the price It did I'da sold it here for 1,500......... No Paypal. :bigsmile:

Yep. I hear you! And even so, I don't blame you at all for rolling the dice with HA. Auctions are unpredictable and it did seem like a book with plenty of upside.  

Also, I don't track TAR 32 extremely closely, but it did weirdly seem like there were a bunch of similar copies in a row up for sale after being scarce for a long time. Funny how that can happen.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, Dark Knight said:
On 10/16/2023 at 1:38 AM, Professor K said:

Oh jeez 

Opera Snapshot_2023-10-16_013554_comics.ha.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-10-16_014053_gocollect.com.png

Expand  

Definitely an outlier lol.  It seems that the winning bidder was aiming for the "White Pages" for this book.

Yeah, I think it might have received a bit of a bump vs. prior sales for the white pages.

I do love that cover; probably my favorite Bats cover (either that or #1, although it's hard to compare any cover against the grails of the hobby, like Bats #1).

On 10/16/2023 at 3:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Wowza is right.........................this issue much be almost as common as dirt with a whopping 15 copies sold in a 5-month time period from mid-March through to mid-August.  :p  lol

On 10/16/2023 at 6:53 PM, Dark Knight said:

Definitely an outlier lol.  It seems that the winning bidder was aiming for the "White Pages" for this book.

On 10/16/2023 at 7:39 PM, Superman2006 said:

Yeah, I think it might have received a bit of a bump vs. prior sales for the white pages.

I do love that cover; probably my favorite Bats cover (either that or #1, although it's hard to compare any cover against the grails of the hobby, like Bats #1).

What about Number 9? Number 9? Number 9?

Yep, it was a battle for the White Pages. Not that anyone's asking but in my opinion it's not worth it. Little too much faith in the graders. I've submitted enough books in the past to know there is a fine line between OW/White and White. Fine line isn't exactly the best phrase for it. Sure some books are clearly White and some OW/White could be given White status and nobody would Bat an eye, and vice versa. 

It was a nice looking copy for the grade no doubt. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 10/16/2023 at 11:40 AM, LadyDeath said:

Lower grade Bakers are definitely commanding less, and I'm not complaining.

Untitled-2.jpg

That's great! This book was my one target from the auction and I completely forgot about it. Glad it's going to a good home.  :headbang:

On 10/16/2023 at 8:12 PM, Professor K said:
On 10/16/2023 at 6:39 PM, Superman2006 said:

What about Number 9? Number 9? Number 9?

I guess I've always been a big fan of the Joker covers and liked Batman #11 the best (second overall favorite Joker cover to Tec #69). I agree that Batman #9 is a great cover though!