• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,144 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2024 at 1:16 AM, Crowzilla said:
On 6/21/2024 at 1:13 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

That was a steal!

Wow, a Tec27 below guide!

The Great Post-Covid Crash--it's finally reached GA mega-keys! :ohnoez:

On 6/20/2024 at 6:36 PM, CentaurMan said:

On the flip side, I had bought that Mile High National 7 during the financial crisis for around $8k, and was hoping it would go for $30-35k.  $65k floored me.  So the two books combined exceeded my expectations, but not in an enjoyable way.  I’d rather have just gotten a combined $70k.

That Mile High National 7 was the one book in the auction that I was watching (not bidding on—I can't swim in that end of the pool until I find an heiress to marry). I was not surprised by the selling price. It's an old-school book, but I have a soft spot for those. I don't think there's any room for a flipper, so hopefully it went to a collector.

On 6/20/2024 at 5:36 PM, CentaurMan said:

No, by definition the one I thought had the best chance to be the worst (King Comics #1) had the least amount of room to fall short of my expectations.  The WAY worse one was one I didn’t see coming.

I had high expectations for the Mile High Air Fighters, but it never got going.  I’ve never sent a book to CGC before, but Heritage did before the auction and the 7.5 killed it.  I was thinking it was a $15k book and it went for 1/3rd of that.

On the flip side, I had bought that Mile High National 7 during the financial crisis for around $8k, and was hoping it would go for $30-35k.  $65k floored me.  So the two books combined exceeded my expectations, but not in an enjoyable way.  I’d rather have just gotten a combined $70k.

They say that winning money creates about 1/3rd the positive reaction, emotionally, than losing money subtracts (thus most people’s risk-aversion).  I’m logically very happy with how the day went but am bummed about the Air Fighters specifically.

The Airfighters 2 was CGC graded originally by John Verzyl. It was a 7.5 back then due to a water stain on the back. He was asking $15K for it then.

I am sorry that it went so far below expectations. I was thinking of bidding on it. The colors on that cover are blinding! But I passed simply because there is so much stuff in the Roger Hill portion of the auction that I am interested in.

On 6/20/2024 at 6:52 PM, adamstrange said:

Humans are more sensitive to loss than to good wins.

Playing poker will dull that sense.

On 6/20/2024 at 5:46 PM, CentaurMan said:

The difference is that equities represent ownership stakes in businesses which produce cash flow, and that cash flow can change over time (mostly grow, over longer time periods).  Same with real estate, same with bonds, etc., so there are formulas for estimating the value of those assets depending on the prevailing interest rate environment, forecasted macro factors, etc.  There’s clear record of what people were willing to pay for Nvidia 11 months ago, or any time period ago, in the stock charts/histories.

Collectibles of all types (artwork, coins, baseball cards, NFTs, etc.) are essentially only worth what people are willing to pay for them, and thus a book/record citing those values is especially relevant, as you can’t value them based on their intrinsic cash flows (there are none).  It helps to always have some sense for the market’s opinion of those assets.

I agree. There are thousands of trades in Nvidia stock per day while a certain comic changes hands perhaps once in a blue moon.

Moreover stocks were designed to be vehicles for investments. Comics were designed to be nothing but throwaway reading material for kids. Why some people now consider comics to be an investment vehicle is the real question.

(shrug)

On 6/21/2024 at 11:52 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 6/20/2024 at 7:52 PM, adamstrange said:

For better.... or worse?

On 6/21/2024 at 11:02 AM, adamstrange said:
On 6/21/2024 at 10:52 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 6/20/2024 at 6:52 PM, adamstrange said:

For better.... or worse?

You have to keep an even temperament to be successful, otherwise the swings up and down will drive you crazy.

On 6/20/2024 at 11:44 PM, tth2 said:

The Great Post-Covid Crash--it's finally reached GA mega-keys! :ohnoez:

Well now people have made some plausible justifications for why it sold for what it sold for. Some decent points. So I don't know haha. I mean some stuff sold pretty low, but seems like other stuff sold pretty well. The market is such a fickle thing.

On 6/21/2024 at 10:50 AM, MrBedrock said:

... there is so much stuff in the Roger Hill portion of the auction that I am interested in.

...and I won none of it.

On 6/19/2024 at 7:55 PM, The-Collector said:

Interesting. I  was surprised because I think BCM50 >>> CoC 19 and that later cover prompted lots of discussion in the GA forum. Any thoughts on whether this will crack the 174k CoC realised? I would have thought so. 

Did these stay under the radar? Assume most people just slept in today after yesterday's results...