• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2021 at 7:46 PM, jimjum12 said:

What do the grader's notes say on the Baffling ? GOD BLESS...

Even having the Grader's Notes might not necessarily help you since I've been told by many long time boardies here in the past that the notes are intended only as internal notes from one grader to another.  As such, the notes are not always complete and do not necessarily list all of the defects that goes into the determination of the final grade of a book.  :gossip:

If that's the actual case, then it kind of peeves me off that they actualy charge for these so-called internal notes when they know full well that it doesn't necessarily list all of the defects that goes into the determination of the final grade on a book.  :mad:  :censored:

On 10/17/2021 at 11:18 PM, lou_fine said:

My thinking is that if this book here had come from the Promise Collection, it would most probably have received a higher grade than 6.5:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/baffling-mysteries-8-aurora-pedigree-ace-1952-cgc-fn-65-off-white-pages/a/122142-11182.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|0

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Baffling Mysteries #8 Aurora Pedigree (Ace, 1952) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Baffling Mysteries #8 Aurora Pedigree (Ace, 1952) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages....

Any bets that the bidders were betting on a possible upgrade for this copy here as it sold for the rather astoundingly high price (relative to its assigned grade of CGC 6.5) of $3,600 including the BP juice, or close to 25X the condition guide price and also multiples higher than the $552 that a CGC 4.0 graded copy was able to fetch on HA back only a few short months ago.  :whatthe:

PCH is scalding hot.  GGA is scalding hot.  This particular book, having both, has become a key to the newer generation of collectors.  I'm never surprised at a price like this for one of these books.  

On 10/19/2021 at 12:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Even having the Grader's Notes might not necessarily help you since I've been told by many long time boardies here in the past that the notes are intended only as internal notes from one grader to another.  As such, the notes are not always complete and do not necessarily list all of the defects that goes into the determination of the final grade of a book.  :gossip:

If that's the actual case, then it kind of peeves me off that they actualy charge for these so-called internal notes when they know full well that it doesn't necessarily list all of the defects that goes into the determination of the final grade on a book.  :mad:  :censored:

Again I'm posting two in a row. Sorry for the clutter. I need to start using that multi-quote option more.

I did not know this. I always thought the graders notes , well let me start over. I always thought that the final grade a book gets was the average grade given by three graders, each of which had no clue what grade the other two deemed it worthy of. So I guess I just assumed that graders notes were a combination of all defects found by all three graders. 

If what you say is true, that the three graders (assuming 3 graders actually grade each book) are permitted to see/read what defects the other graders found, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the three grader system. I'm so confused:frustrated:

On 10/23/2021 at 3:45 PM, Professor K said:

Again I'm posting two in a row. Sorry for the clutter. I need to start using that multi-quote option more.

I did not know this. I always thought the graders notes , well let me start over. I always thought that the final grade a book gets was the average grade given by three graders, each of which had no clue what grade the other two deemed it worthy of. So I guess I just assumed that graders notes were a combination of all defects found by all three graders. 

If what you say is true, that the three graders (assuming 3 graders actually grade each book) are permitted to see/read what defects the other graders found, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the three grader system. I'm so confused:frustrated:

My understanding of their grading process is they have three graders that give it a grade and not defects, but there is one primary grader that assigns a final grade.  He/she doesn’t average anything.  The final grader chooses the number.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:33 PM, szav said:

However the most universal comic collecting truth is that everything I own is undervalued, and that everything I’m trying to acquire is overpriced… until the moment after I acquire it, the instant at which it becomes undervalued.

Fact check: true

On 10/23/2021 at 6:27 PM, eschnit said:

My understanding of their grading process is they have three graders that give it a grade and not defects, but there is one primary grader that assigns a final grade.  He/she doesn’t average anything.  The final grader chooses the number.

This reminds me of a scene from Office Space. 

On 10/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, buttock said:

PCH is scalding hot.  GGA is scalding hot.  This particular book, having both, has become a key to the newer generation of collectors.  I'm never surprised at a price like this for one of these books.  

I don't really collect GGA per se, but I never considered that cover a GGA cover.

Time will tell if other issues sell for comparable prices.

I suspect it will prove to be an outlier, but we'll see.

PS—What isn't scalding right now?

Edited by jimbo_7071

Was scrolling through the HA Sunday offerings and although I am sure it's all to do with the Hitler et al cover, it looks like there's now another early World's Finest that's going for big dollars besides just the WF 3 with the first appearance of the Scarecrow:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/world-s-finest-comics-9-dc-1943-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122143-17979.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F9%2F5%2F4%2F24954934%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already sitting at $5,760 with still another day to go for a mid-grade copy in this grade range just touching on 4-figures only a few short years ago.  (thumbsu

On 10/24/2021 at 11:43 AM, lou_fine said:

Was scrolling through the HA Sunday offerings and although I am sure it's all to do with the Hitler et al cover, it looks like there's now another early World's Finest that's going for big dollars besides just the WF 3 with the first appearance of the Scarecrow:  :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/world-s-finest-comics-9-dc-1943-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122143-17979.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F9%2F5%2F4%2F24954934%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Already sitting at $5,760 with still another day to go for a mid-grade copy in this grade range just touching on 4-figures only a few short years ago.  (thumbsu

I was looking at this book, too. I love those 100 pagers anyway, and the fact that it’s a war cover is the icing on the cake

On 10/23/2021 at 3:33 PM, szav said:

However the most universal comic collecting truth is that everything I own is undervalued, and that everything I’m trying to acquire is overpriced… until the moment after I acquire it, the instant at which it becomes undervalued.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, batman_fan said:

Fact check: true

And if you want to make money in life buy when no one else is buying and sell when everyone is buying. You can apply that universal truth to virtually anything too.

Human nature makes people emotional in their business choices and that can lead to less than desirable outcomes.

On 10/24/2021 at 12:02 PM, N e r V said:

And if you want to make money in life buy when no one else is buying and sell when everyone is buying. You can apply that universal truth to virtually anything too.

Human nature makes people emotional in their business choices and that can lead to less than desirable outcomes.

So why don’t you guys indulge me by quitting all your buying. To make it more palatable , we can put a 2 month moratorium on it. You can start back up after the holidays. 2 months is all I ask

image.gif.e5e69b87dcfb27e28b7aeb8f6cbeb690.gif

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

You don’t need that. There’s always buying opportunities. It’s just to what degree should you be buying and WHAT you should be buying. There’s never anything wrong with overpaying for a good investment as long as you understand it will take a bit longer to recoup your investment but in general it’s better to stay away from the herd and pay attention to what’s undervalued. Right now in our COVID world pretty much everything is getting a premium and at some point even if prices remain in place the demand won’t be. I’m applying that to everything now, not just comics. Buying and investing at this moment in time should require careful thought but not everyone is doing that so try not to follow to much because everything now from auto sales to gas to food to collectibles including comics is strictly a sellers market…

On 10/24/2021 at 9:54 AM, buttock said:
On 10/24/2021 at 3:41 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

PS—What isn't scalding right now?

Fox funny animals.

Remember the old axiom........buy low and sell high, although we might all be in the big LCS in the sky by the time funny animals gets hot again. :taptaptap:

Then again, there just might be a glimmer of hope as some of those Bugs Bunny books seems to be selling for record amounts on HA Sunday auctions and didn't @tth2 's Four Color 386 sell for $90K in the Spring HA Signature Auction.  :wishluck:  :applause: