• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 8:24 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Yours, I assume? I personally wouldn't bid on a book if hoarding has affected the value in recent years—that's a bubble that could pop at any time, in my opinion—but I'm sure it will sell for more than guide.

I'm certain that Catman 15s are being hoarded, too. I don't know who's doing the hoarding, but it's been going on for quite a while. The reason why I say that is because in the past 20 years, I've never seen the same copy offered for sale a second time. That's pretty unusual, even for rare books. I've also seen enough raw copies to know that even though it isn't a common issue, it isn't nearly as scarce as the census would suggest. So either multiple copies are being hoarded by the same person, or every single copy that has sold in a public auction has been locked away in a different private collection with little to no turnover. My money is on the former scenario. Others are free to disagree.

Wow, that's my old copy...sold it to Andy (Golddust) here on the boards many years ago. :cloud9:

On 11/2/2021 at 3:54 PM, drbanner said:
On 11/2/2021 at 3:04 PM, tth2 said:

FTFY :baiting:

Actually, I think I sold him my upgraded copy later on as well...mebbe I'm the flipper as I no longer own a copy. 

Hey Mike,

I still have the upgraded copy that you sold me eight years ago (it ain't going anywhere, Tim - thanks for the "flipper" comment  :mad: ).

I don't recall buying the 4.0 copy from you (although I may have done), but yes, I did own it and then sold that copy as I had upgraded it. And yes, I sold it to West. Do I regret selling it? I've made worse mistakes, but not many. :cry:

On 11/2/2021 at 4:26 PM, szav said:
On 11/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, sagii said:

Any of you PCH guys excited about the Black Cat collection on HA?

Been surprised not to see much chatter.  3 of the Harvey classics look like 40-50k books each… but I dunno how the old school PCH guys feel about those file copy NM+ books.

They're fabulous and I wish I'd filled my boots when they weren't so absurdly expensive. As a certified PCH head I have a copy of every book in that auction, although admittedly not all in those grades, and I'm certainly interested. Maybe with all the stuff that has come down the pipeline this year I've become a bit blase, but many of those books are awesome.

Maybe the chatter is down to the fact that many of those books will go for crazy money. They're certainly beyond my reach.

Edited by goldust40

On 11/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, szav said:

Been surprised not to see much chatter.  3 of the Harvey classics look like 40-50k books each… but I dunno how the old school PCH guys feel about those file copy NM+ books.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, goldust40 said:

They're fabulous and I wish I'd filled my boots when they weren't so absurdly expensive. As a certified PCH head I have a copy of every book in that auction, although admittedly not all in those grades, and I'm certainly interested. Maybe with all the stuff that has come down the pipeline this year I've become a bit blase, but many of those books are awesome.

Maybe the chatter is down to the fact that many of those books will go for crazy money. They're certainly beyond my reach.

LOL, yeah, maybe folks just playing it close to the chest

On 11/2/2021 at 3:12 PM, Terry JSA said:

I keep looking at this book and I want it. The temptation to bid on it is there but I have this feeling that’ll it go for more than what I’m willing to pay for it. 

This book is high up there on my grail list. 

39F81417-3586-4E52-99EF-617E94427822.jpeg

With extensive resto, my guess would be $20—$30K. What's your prediction?

On 11/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, sagii said:

I'm watching a bajillion books, but most will certainly be out of reach.

The ones I *actually* have a shot at look like stuff that washes up in the regular weekly auctions and is not really worth posting about.  lol 

On 11/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, Point Five said:

I'm watching a bajillion books, but most will certainly be out of reach.

The ones I *actually* have a shot at look like stuff that washes up in the regular weekly auctions and is not really worth posting about.  lol 

I’m the same way right now. The books I do want are out of reach (for now at least :devil:) but I’m bidding on the one(s) I do have a shot at and do want. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 11/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, szav said:

I know most will disagree but from an aesthetic standpoint AA16 is my favorite cover of all the GA mega keys.   I like the layout and the motion you can almost feel with it. 

Given the rarity and relative discount compared to the others, if I had the money it’d be the one I’d try to grab first if the circumstances allowed.

That’s the thing. Due to its rarity, it could go for any amount.  That’s why I’m just watching the book for the time being to see if it’s something I’m willing to jump on. 

I want to see if it’s in my favor because I’m sure there’s someone who wants that book way more than I do. lol

On 11/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, szav said:

I know most will disagree but from an aesthetic standpoint AA16 is my favorite cover of all the GA mega keys.   I like the layout and the motion you can almost feel with it. 

Given the rarity and relative discount compared to the others, if I had the money it’d be the one I’d try to grab first if the circumstances allowed.

Nice color design as well.

It's the first GA key I owned;  though it was absolutely the worst copy in existence of the book.

Edited by adamstrange

On 11/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, Terry JSA said:

That’s the thing. Due to its rarity, it could go for any amount.  That’s why I’m just watching the book for the time being to see if it’s something I’m willing to jump on. 

I want to see if it’s in my favor because I’m sure there’s someone who wants that book way more than I do. lol

My take on it is that if I'm going to buy a book with extensive restoration, then I might as well just buy a reprint for $10.

On 11/3/2021 at 9:46 AM, tth2 said:

The poor PQ of some of the books puts me off.

Have to go back and look again now. Was so focused on the covers (and the number in the upper corner(: ) that i didn't pay as much attention to PQ 

On 11/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, sagii said:

There are a couple of my hoard books that are up and highest graded. I’m debating going after them but there are also SO many other great books coming up for sale in the next few auctions. Plus next year’s big goal is a an AA 61, so that is looming over any big money decisions.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:54 AM, drbanner said:

Actually, I think I sold him my upgraded copy later on as well...mebbe I'm the flipper as I no longer own a copy. :shy:

The actual term , I believe, is Filthy Flipper Scum .... but I may be off by a bit. Happy Holidays :foryou: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu