• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 11:53 AM, buttock said:

It's really a different animal to collect 1950s books.  If you're collecting SA you can wait for a 9.4 or a 9.6 with OWW or W pages.  Even WWII era books often at least have several copies in existence in NM, even if they're not available.  If you're collecting pre-code horror then you may have to settle for a VF with C/OW pages.  If you're collecting war, you'll be happy to find a copy in FN.  If you're collecting romance you hope to find one that's not missing pieces. 

Many of these books genuinely don't exist in NM due to the poor production quality and numbers.  Even the pedigrees often yield books that are at best VF/NM despite having never been read or handled.  Those that do exist are tightly held in collections.  I think that although these books aren't in 9.4 W, in a number of cases they're the best that have been offered in 20+ years.  The consigner got a large portion of them from another collector who has had them for years.  

Absolutely agree. Looking at top census for PCH (excepting Harvey and EC, for obvious reasons), there are a lot of issues where 7.0-8.0 is the top grade. And it isn’t like there aren’t tons of people looking for them. When I was putting runs of 50s war books together I was happy to get any copy of certain issues.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, IngelsFan said:

Absolutely agree. Looking at top census for PCH (excepting Harvey and EC, for obvious reasons), there are a lot of issues where 7.0-8.0 is the top grade. And it isn’t like there aren’t tons of people looking for them. When I was putting runs of 50s war books together I was happy to get any copy of certain issues.

From time to time I look at the CGC census of Atlas war comics.  As of last month, out of ~500 issues there were 8 in 9.4 and 3 in 9.6.  Most of the known pedigree issues aren't technically perfect, so while most of those aren't graded, if they were those numbers wouldn't go up a whole lot.  The printing was so poor on them, even Mile Highs are often 8.5-9.0 at best.  

On 11/3/2021 at 2:53 PM, buttock said:

It's really a different animal to collect 1950s books.  If you're collecting SA you can wait for a 9.4 or a 9.6 with OWW or W pages.  Even WWII era books often at least have several copies in existence in NM, even if they're not available.  If you're collecting pre-code horror then you may have to settle for a VF with C/OW pages.  If you're collecting war, you'll be happy to find a copy in FN.  If you're collecting romance you hope to find one that's not missing pieces. 

Many of these books genuinely don't exist in NM due to the poor production quality and numbers.  Even the pedigrees often yield books that are at best VF/NM despite having never been read or handled.  Those that do exist are tightly held in collections.  I think that although these books aren't in 9.4 W, in a number of cases they're the best that have been offered in 20+ years.  The consigner got a large portion of them from another collector who has had them for years.  

There are high grade horror books out there with nice pages, but many of them are still raw. Doesn't Flex Mentallo—is his name Michael? I can't remember—have a collection of killer high-grade horror books with nice pages?

Early 50s romance, on the other hand . . . those seem to be genuinely rare. Maybe the print runs were small to begin with.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:50 AM, IngelsFan said:

There are a couple of my hoard books that are up and highest graded. I’m debating going after them but there are also SO many other great books coming up for sale in the next few auctions. Plus next year’s big goal is a an AA 61, so that is looming over any big money decisions.

AA61 is certainly a book to sacrifice for :wishluck:

On 11/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There are high grade horror books out there with nice pages, but many of them are still raw. Doesn't Flex Mentallo—is his name Michael? I can't remember—have a collection of killer high-grade horror books with nice pages?

Flex can weigh in, but the key horror books he has shared publicly are now part of the Heritage Sale, having been sold years earlier.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:06 PM, IngelsFan said:

I almost bought the Black Cat 35 Mile High copy from cheetah several years ago, but then my brother went into the hospital because of a suicide attempt, and I got distracted from comics for a few weeks. I guess Gabe must have bought it. I was thinking about bidding on it, but it's already at $6K! I never dreamt that it would go that high, I'm definitely out of the running.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:31 PM, october said:

I barely even looked, let alone bid. Heritage + Top Census = Andy isn't going to own it.

I mean, there are some nicer VG and Fine range copies... but yeah, not going cheap unless it's a dog of a cover.

Some random notable sales:

Haunted Thrills #5 CGC 1.8 (looks better) -- $1800

Mystic #18 CGC 7.0 -- $3800

Perfect Crime #23 CGC 4.0 -- $3840

Strange Mysteries #11 CGC 6.0 -- $2160

Unseen #9 CGC 6.0 -- $1800

Unseen #15 CGC 7.0 -- $1980

Wanted #52 CGC 5.5 -- $1800

Witchcraft #5 CGC 4.5 -- $1500

Worlds of Fear #9 CGC 4.5 -- $2400

On 11/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, Point Five said:

Any Black Cat Collection winners here tonight? Me, I'm coughing up hairballs.

See my post in the pre code thread!!!! :frustrated:

But I did get this, "good PQ" but the whites on the cover look  like old butter- oh well tough book in decent shape:  

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.20.02 PM.png

Edited by Black Bat