• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,144 posts in this topic

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but have you seen what's coming in September? 

I nearly exploded with wonder at the fact it even exists! :whatthe:

I'd sell the farm for it, but I'm not sure it would be enough! 

What's the story behind this timeless artifact? 

amaze.JPG

On 7/19/2024 at 1:36 PM, newshane said:

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but have you seen what's coming in September? 

amaze.JPG

I don't know the book's story, but that printing mistake (?) on the guy's lower arm is super odd. At the strong price this is going to fetch that would bug me forever.

On 7/19/2024 at 9:50 PM, Point Five said:

I don't know the book's story, but that printing mistake (?) on the guy's lower arm is super odd. At the strong price this is going to fetch that would bug me forever.

This is one of those times how a "comic" is graded bugs me.  Still pretty incredible for a pulp.

And I'd also like to add that I recently got my first copy of a Buck Rogers comic book.... I think. :cool:

On 7/19/2024 at 10:36 AM, newshane said:

amaze.JPG

Wow.

On 7/19/2024 at 9:50 PM, Point Five said:

I didn't even notice that printing defect until you mentioned it, and I've looked at this pulp ten times.  Blinded by the light :D

On 7/19/2024 at 10:36 AM, newshane said:

amaze.JPG

Stunning but it looks like a reprint. Too nice. I need some 1928 dirt on that thing to make it more desirable 😃

On 7/21/2024 at 2:57 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 7/21/2024 at 12:24 AM, Silver Surfer said:

What’s the earliest 9.8 GA book again? This has to be in the top 3. 

This isn't GA, it's from 1928. It's platinum.

It's not a comic book, so the comic ages don't apply.

What it is is stunning.  To listen to all the old pulp collectors talk, 5.0 or 6.0 is the best you could ever expect from a pre-1940 pulp.  But CGC's been assigning a lot of much higher grades to pulps.

I'll be curious to hear whether this is because the really nice pulps always existed but simply never traded hands so the rank and file collectors came to believe that mid-grade was the best they could do, or that CGC is too loose with its grading, or both.

On 7/20/2024 at 8:23 PM, tth2 said:

What it is is stunning.  To listen to all the old pulp collectors talk, 5.0 or 6.0 is the best you could ever expect from a pre-1940 pulp.  But CGC's been assigning a lot of much higher grades to pulps.

I'll be curious to hear whether this is because the really nice pulps always existed but simply never traded hands so the rank and file collectors came to believe that mid-grade was the best they could do, or that CGC is too loose with its grading, or both.

Don’t leave home without it.

IMG_2306.jpeg

On 7/21/2024 at 12:28 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Don’t leave home without it.

IMG_2306.jpeg

Pulps have a completely different time scale from comics.  If you tried to apply the comic time scale to pulps, then there'd really only be Platinum and Gold pulps, with no Silver or later because pulps were essentially gone by the late 1950s.

On 7/21/2024 at 6:43 PM, tth2 said:

Pulps have a completely different time scale from comics.  If you tried to apply the comic time scale to pulps, then there'd really only be Platinum and Gold pulps, with no Silver or later because pulps were essentially gone by the late 1950s.

Yeah they essentially became magazines after the 50’s right?

On 7/22/2024 at 11:43 AM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 7/22/2024 at 9:43 AM, tth2 said:

Yeah they essentially became magazines after the 50’s right?

Did they?  I don't remember magazines with serial stories in the 1960s or 1970s.  My impression is that they just got replaced by paperbacks and TV.

On 7/22/2024 at 9:07 AM, tth2 said:

Did they?  I don't remember magazines with serial stories in the 1960s or 1970s.  My impression is that they just got replaced by paperbacks and TV.

I have to profess ignorance here. How many of the stories in pulps were of the serial variety (as opposed stand-alone short stories)? I know that Buck Rogers and The Shadow, for instance, were recurring characters, but I don't know the extent to which the storylines continued from one issue to the next.

On 7/20/2024 at 11:23 PM, tth2 said:

this is because the really nice pulps always existed but simply never traded hands so the rank and file collectors came to believe that mid-grade was the best they could do

This. My thought is people of that era were often meticulous how they maintained hard earned purchases and they were scooped up by collectors from the 70’s on. With CGC now grading them and some crazy prices being paid nice ones are being dislodged. 

IMG_0376.jpeg

On 7/20/2024 at 8:23 PM, tth2 said:

Pulp grading is really pretty different grading than comics. They are stapled and perfect bound with thick spines. There is also the over hang aspect. I have always thought CGC should have different standards for saddle stitched vs perfect bound comics.

GCG is smart. We are accustomed to 9 grades. If pulps only graded 7.0-8.0 like the Bookery guide, some folks would probably be upset. Lot more money involved when we see 9.0+ grades. And money seems to be the most important factor to many.

To me, anything above 8.0 is a unicorn when it comes to pulps.

On 7/22/2024 at 9:37 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I have to profess ignorance here. How many of the stories in pulps were of the serial variety (as opposed stand-alone short stories)? I know that Buck Rogers and The Shadow, for instance, were recurring characters, but I don't know the extent to which the storylines continued from one issue to the next.

Shadow stories were one and done, with some villains returning for another round.  Buck Rogers was a syndicated newspaper strip with stories that stretched across weeks.