• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a “ top “ INDIVIDUAL grader in the hobby ?

42 posts in this topic

In a place far away... and a long time ago... there was a man named BOROCK. It was a long time ago and in a place far away that he invented ALL this . But really... it took a nobody like me to mention HIS name. Wow... y'all are really f'd up. I guess crossing the street strips your cred. Pity...

He bought a few books from my table at Greenberg shows back when... he was a tough grader then and all but WOW what a poor reception for his grading up in here... There is NO free speech here so i guess i'll see ya'll later or not at all. I have nothing invested here, just a saying...

12 hours ago, N e r V said:

I worry when people start answering their own comments...

Bedrock is head and shoulders above everyone, myself included.  (thumbsu

11 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

In a place far away... and a long time ago... there was a man named BOROCK. It was a long time ago and in a place far away that he invented ALL this . But really... it took a nobody like me to mention HIS name. Wow... y'all are really f'd up. I guess crossing the street strips your cred. Pity...

He bought a few books from my table at Greenberg shows back when... he was a tough grader then and all but WOW what a poor reception for his grading up in here... There is NO free speech here so i guess i'll see ya'll later or not at all. I have nothing invested here, just a saying...

Some folks here have a tendency to wear their CGC jerseys a couple of sizes too big, IMO, ...especially after the NR and “creep engine” cluster-fiasco, but board moderation of speech isn’t quite as Draconian as you’re suggesting.  Steve’s & West’s grading has always been tight even though appraisal of their work in it’s current context is probably discouraged under forum guidelines.  

556c9ee4-0b5a-470f-94a3-f413a580480a_zps

On 7/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, bronze johnny said:

Simply put, Bob Storms is the best grader I've ever experienced. A sweet guy too!

Is there another Bob Storms out there?? :)

His grading is good. The times he's significantly missed, he's been willing to do a make-good by discounting another purchase.

@MrBedrock has been spot on or a half grade low in my experience.

And a shoutout to the board's @Ricksneatstuff who may, in fact, be the best grader around these days.

There's a well-known dealer whose name I used to put forward in these threads, but not no more! 

Edited to add: Given my next post, I just wanted to add that the dealer I'm referring to in the last sentence is NOT Harley.

Edited by Sqeggs

On 7/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, N e r V said:

Everything so far I’ve had slabbed from Bedrock was within a half point. Harley Yee is usually the same but I got a few from him that CGC put a bit higher (8.5’s getting a 9.2 for example). 

Can we talk about those out there with more mixed results?

Is there another Harley Yee out there?? I bow to no one in my love for Harley, but in my experience he's prone to, ah, irrational exuberance when grading raw books. He undoubtedly knows how to grade, but I think he doesn't always put the time in to go over the books carefully. 

But I'm quibbling about a guy who is a pillar of the hobby; may he live forever!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Is there another Harley Yee out there?? I bow to no one in my love for Harley, but in my experience he's prone to, ah, irrational exuberance when grading raw books. He undoubtedly knows how to grade, but I think he doesn't always put the time in to go over the books carefully. 

But I'm quibbling about a guy who is a pillar of the hobby; may he live forever!

You may very well be right but my experience has almost always gone in my favor. At worst I might buy a 5.0 that ends up 4.5 or 6.0 that gets a 5.5 but I don’t believe I have ever bought a book from him with anything larger than half a point hit. Not to say that couldn't change in the future. I have a lot of stuff from him with full point plus gains. I gave a friend 5 books a year ago from Harley. 3 8.0’s, 2 8.5’s. Out of that I ended up with 4 9.0’s and 1 9.2.

I do spend my time looking at his books carefully and he’s a joy to do business with. 

He’s a well traveled dealer that I imagine gets a lot books so how much time he has with them is debatable. I love hitting his booth though.

There are at least a couple of dealers I can think of that I will almost guarantee be a half point to a full point over-grading their books. Doesn’t stop me from buying but I automatically deduct from the grade listed before buying anything.   

The advantage of buying stuff regularly from certain dealers you kind of know what to expect one way or another...

Another dealer I’m going to actually look into again is James Payette. I have not bought anything from him in years but according to some posters he’s pretty good.

The reason I’m surprised is many years ago I remember him being mentioned as one of those dealers who had many shades of the same grade. By that I mean books could be in 8.0 to 9.4 but have 9.0 on all of them. Very broad grading. I will try him again at some point...

On 7/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, N e r V said:

Everything so far I’ve had slabbed from Bedrock was within a half point. Harley Yee is usually the same but I got a few from him that CGC put a bit higher (8.5’s getting a 9.2 for example). 

Can we talk about those out there with more mixed results?

This book was purchased from Worldwide as a VF 8.0/VF+ 8.5 and came back as a 7.0:

0201171131211.jpg

15 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

THIS !!!!!!!

I remember at a Phoenix comic show many years ago, A larger dealer was set up (I bought a raw Batman 3, restored from them, fully disclosed).  Some guy was at the both talking to one of the people working the booth.  He didn't agree with with the pricing and kept asking "what do you grade that".  The person at the booth kept replying "I don't grade books, I price them".   lol

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

You may very well be right but my experience has almost always gone in my favor. At worst I might buy a 5.0 that ends up 4.5 or 6.0 that gets a 5.5 but I don’t believe I have ever bought a book from him with anything larger than half a point hit. Not to say that couldn't change in the future. I have a lot of stuff from him with full point plus gains. I gave a friend 5 books a year ago from Harley. 3 8.0’s, 2 8.5’s. Out of that I ended up with 4 9.0’s and 1 9.2.

I do spend my time looking at his books carefully and he’s a joy to do business with. 

He’s a well traveled dealer that I imagine gets a lot books so how much time he has with them is debatable. I love hitting his booth though.

There are at least a couple of dealers I can think of that I will almost guarantee be a half point to a full point over-grading their books. Doesn’t stop me from buying but I automatically deduct from the grade listed before buying anything.   

The advantage of buying stuff regularly from certain dealers you kind of know what to expect one way or another...

Harley must like you better than me! :cry:

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Is there another Bob Storms out there?? :)

His grading is good. The times he's significantly missed, he's been willing to do a make-good by discounting another purchase.

@MrBedrock has been spot on or a half grade low in my experience.

And a shoutout to the board's @Ricksneatstuff who may, in fact, be the best grader around these days.

There's a well-known dealer whose name I used to put forward in these threads, but not no more! 

Edited to add: Given my next post, I just wanted to add that the dealer I'm referring to in the last sentence is NOT Harley.

There's only one Bob Storms. His grading is much, much better than good.

Edited by bronze johnny

3 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

There's only one Bob Storms. His grading is much, much better than good.

More the sweetness than the grading I was wondering about!