• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder Appreciation Topic
1 1

270 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

Short "funny" story: Best friend's wife, who I also consider a good friend, her birthday was last week. I bought her a bottle of wine called Director's Cut (a cabernet). I wrote "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut" on the label. lol

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

Short "funny" story: Best friend's wife, who I also consider a good friend, her birthday was last week. I bought her a bottle of wine called Director's Cut (a cabernet). I wrote "#ReleaseTheSnyderCut" on the label. lol

The rumor from many sites now is the assumption at the end of the Man of Steel watch party there is going to be an announcement concerning the Snyder Cut. How they assume this, I just don't know.

But there is a lot of chatter on the topic now from multiple reporting sites.

Ok... I am curious to see what it is all about. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel and felt it could have been shoehorned into the Nolanverse.  However, I was disappointed by Batman v Superman.  After BvS I waited to watch Justice League at home.  It was not as bad as BvS as far as I was concerned but it was not great. 

I would love to see the Snyder cut of Justice League just to see what mistakes Snyder learned from BvSand to give a chance to what might have become.  It is terrible as to what happened to his daughter.  I want to emphasize that as first and foremost and with what suddenly happened in his personal life he had no choice but to put family first.  However, again, this is a real passion of his and I would like to see his work. 

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Ok... I am curious to see what it is all about. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Man of Steel and felt it could have been shoehorned into the Nolanverse.  However, I was disappointed by Batman v Superman.  After BvS I waited to watch Justice League at home.  It was not as bad as BvS as far as I was concerned but it was not great. 

I would love to see the Snyder cut of Justice League just to see what mistakes Snyder learned from BvSand to give a chance to what might have become.  It is terrible as to what happened to his daughter.  I want to emphasize that as first and foremost and with what suddenly happened in his personal life he had no choice but to put family first.  However, again, this is a real passion of his and I would like to see his work. 

What happened to his daugher?

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

What happened to his daugher?

She committed suicide at age 20 during production of the film.  This is why he and his wife dropped out and Whedon took over.  Details surrounding her death have never been made public other than the fact that she committed suicide. 

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

She committed suicide at age 20 during production of the film.  This is why he and his wife dropped out and Whedon took over.  Details surrounding her death have never been made public other than the fact that she committed suicide. 

Oh my gosh.  Heartbreaking

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Oh my gosh.  Heartbreaking

Yeah, that's why I really feel that this guy has a personal interest in seeing his vision released.  I think there is a lot more riding on it than 'just a movie.'  For that alone, I want it to succeed.  He really deserves a 'win' with this. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-steps-down-justice-league-deal-family-tragedy-1006455

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Which is why with the much more positive side of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut movement it raised so much money to support suicide prevention services.

Justice League’s Snyder Cut Campaign Has Raised A Ton Of Money For Charity

As part of the campaign's attempt to draw notice and support, those calling to "Release the Snyder Cut" have held a variety of fundraising events on behalf of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Yesterday on twitter, prominent Snyder Cut member @TPZMickD revealed that in total, since November of last year, the movement has raised an impressive $156, 613.

:gossip:

Snyder was actually fired. They used his daughter's passing as a cover-up to save face with the coinciding tragedy. This is partially why the Snyder Cut movement was/is so passionate. We were mislead for months after the split that "Snyder is still in creative control; Whedon requires his approval for changes to his vision." Blatant lies.

A 'random' comment sparked this thought:

Appreciation: Zack Snyder puts meaningful characters in dangerous situations to elicit a visceral reaction. Perry White and Co. in Man of Steel. Lois and Martha in Batman v Superman.

Depreciation: Joss Whedon puts random people in danger that you don't care a lick about. Like that Sokovian family in Age of Ultron. That Russian family in Josstice League.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

A 'random' comment sparked this thought:

Appreciation: Zack Snyder puts meaningful characters in dangerous situations to elicit a visceral reaction. Perry White and Co. in Man of Steel. Lois and Martha in Batman v Superman.

Depreciation: Joss Whedon puts random people in danger that you don't care a lick about. Like that Sokovian family in Age of Ultron. That Russian family in Josstice League.

Your thought sparked this thought:

Man of Steel was a Superman movie. It was as much about developing Superman's family and friends as it was about developing Kal El himself. Batman v Superman was essentially Superman II with, again, substantial focus on the people close to Superman. In this way, it makes sense to focus on and imperil Perry White, Louis Lane, and Martha Kent, because it's about Superman and his family and the emotional throughline connected with that.

On the other hand, Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, and Justice League were pure ensemble movies. With so many main characters to juggle, it wastes film space to focus so much on supporting players. The emotional throughline in these three ensemble films is how these individuals work together or don't work together and need to figure out how. So it makes sense that the people they save are more faces that represent a population of people, and less supporting characters of any one main character, in order to show the coming together of these individuals was needed to save a very large amount of people.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Your thought sparked this thought:

Man of Steel was a Superman movie. It was as much about developing Superman's family and friends as it was about developing Kal El himself. Batman v Superman was essentially Superman II with, again, substantial focus on the people close to Superman. In this way, it makes sense to focus on and imperil Perry White, Louis Lane, and Martha Kent, because it's about Superman and his family and the emotional throughline connected with that.

On the other hand, Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, and Justice League were pure ensemble movies. With so many main characters to juggle, it wastes film space to focus so much on supporting players. The emotional throughline in these three ensemble films is how these individuals work together or don't work together and need to figure out how. So it makes sense that the people they save are more faces that represent a population of people, and less supporting characters of any one main character, in order to show the coming together of these individuals was needed to save a very large amount of people.

Bad scapegoat is bad.

See: The topic title.

15 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I didn't mention The Avengers in my prior post, either. Funny how 1 movie didn't have stupid unemotional character moments, but AoE and JL did?

One thing I didn't appreciate in Avengers is how Joss Whedon seemed to side with Tony Stark over Steve Rogers. He wrote Mr Rogers to be some sort of old fashioned ninny jerk and a straight man to Stark's ribbing. I thought Rogers deserved better than that, though it worked for the movie to focus more on Stark. Rogers didn't really get his time to shine until Winter Soldier. IMO. I thought he was a little too dorky in First Avenger.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

One thing I didn't appreciate in Avengers is how Joss Whedon seemed to side with Tony Stark over Steve Rogers. He wrote Mr Rogers to be some sort of old fashioned ninny jerk and a straight man to Stark's ribbing. I thought Rogers deserved better than that, though it worked for the movie to focus more on Stark. Rogers didn't really get his time to shine until Winter Soldier.

Because that was continuous of his character from The First Avenger... The Avengers did a fine job of saving people while not having unnecessary moments of the same meaningless characters.

Either way, I'm looking forward to character moments from Zack Snyder with Silas Stone, Iris West, etc. People who aren't shoehorned in for no good reason.