• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder Appreciation Topic
1 1

270 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 7:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Same.

I kinda use Sucker Punch as a reel to fish out whether someone is a Snyder fan or a true DCEU fan.

Someone gave me a screen pass recently telling me I had to watch Sucker Punch The Extended Cut as it helped flesh out the story more.

Sucker Punch Comparison: Theatrical Version vs. Extended Cut

Sure, you got a singing routine between Oscar Isaac and Carla Gugino where they perform 'Love Is The Drug' which is quite good.

Sucker_Punch_Love_Is_The_Drug.jpg.ea0a88349606c70a4bd632f1caf46369.jpg

And you get some additional scenes with the action spots. Including more 'Wise Man' coaching scenes.

Sucker_Punch_Fight1.jpg.0061375652ce65d4dcebe652f7fe9173.jpg

Sucker_Punch_Fight2.jpg.9989cb16487bfb834d7f5b39d06b8c0a.jpg

Sucker_Punch_Fight3.jpg.4f8c969e406b6398d9b5d550d96a90a4.jpg

But it is still a troubling story. Especially any story about mass female abuse like that. And I think that is what pulls people out of this mental escape narrative rather quickly. Though the -script was written that way to cause audiences to acknowledge such cruilty occurs around the world.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Someone gave me a screen pass recently telling me I had to watch Sucker Punch The Extended Cut as it helped flesh out the story more.

Sucker Punch Comparison: Theatrical Version vs. Extended Cut

Sure, you got a singing routine between Oscar Isaac and Carla Gugino where they perform 'Love Is The Drug' which is quite good.

Sucker_Punch_Love_Is_The_Drug.jpg.ea0a88349606c70a4bd632f1caf46369.jpg

And you get some additional scenes with the action spots. Including more 'Wise Man' coaching scenes.

Sucker_Punch_Fight1.jpg.0061375652ce65d4dcebe652f7fe9173.jpg

Sucker_Punch_Fight2.jpg.9989cb16487bfb834d7f5b39d06b8c0a.jpg

Sucker_Punch_Fight3.jpg.4f8c969e406b6398d9b5d550d96a90a4.jpg

But it is still a troubling story. Especially any story about mass female abuse like that. And I think that is what pulls people out of this mental escape narrative rather quickly. Though the --script was written that way to cause audiences to acknowledge such cruilty occurs around the world.

Sucker Punch is also the tool that I use as an attempt to bridge the gap. People criticize Snyder's ability to write, and hey that's fine, because Sucker Punch isn't that well-written and neither is the Knightmare Epilogue (why Snyder received a credit on ZSJL). That being said, he did not write MoS or BvS, or 97% of ZSJL. Attributing the writing in those movies to Snyder is ultimately baseless, and just another attempt to disparage the director.

What Snyder is responsible for during his direction of movies, he is very good (if not great) at. Planning, framing, choreography, camera movement, etc. He's the guy that I want directing a comic book or sci-fi movie. His eye for bringing ideas to life visually is maybe second-to-none right now.

He receives unfair criticism overall. As you have mentioned before, it takes hundreds of people to bring a project to life. There's usually a few people involved in every aspect, including directing. Without competent cinematographers, Snyder's movies may not look so perfect.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

He receives unfair criticism overall.

You wouldn't be shocked some of the reviews from 'professional critics' couldn't help but fixate on Zack Snyder. Including this Vulture movie reviewer that gets unhealthily fixated on Snyder over the years.

To say there isn't a clear bias out there against the man would be going through life with blinders on.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

You wouldn't be shocked some of the reviews from 'professional critics' couldn't help but fixate on Zack Snyder. Including this Vulture movie reviewer that gets unhealthily fixated on Snyder over the years.

To say there isn't a clear bias out there against the man would be going through life with blinders on.

Wtf? :facepalm:

I can't think of a single Snyder film that feels like it came off a conveyor belt. What a f^&*in' joke. Even in the comic book movie genre, they're all quite unique, with the exception that ZSJL is somewhat cookie-cutter in its basic plot. Even then, it's visually striking and contains moments that transcend the genre.

I can guarantee you that when I see The Batman I will not have Snyder living in my head rent-free.

On 3/2/2022 at 8:57 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Wtf? :facepalm:

I can't think of a single Snyder film that feels like it came off a conveyor belt. What a f^&*in' joke. Even in the comic book movie genre, they're all quite unique, with the exception that ZSJL is somewhat cookie-cutter in its basic plot. Even then, it's visually striking and contains moments that transcend the genre.

I can guarantee you that when I see The Batman I will not have Snyder living in my head rent-free.

Yeah, I've never noticed Snyder's film to fill like they were made in a factory.  Now if he was talking about the MCU I'd agree, they have the formula down and while I enjoy most of them, they do seem alot alike.

"Zack Snyder just films other people's visuals"

The Hollywood Reporter did a sitdown with all the key studio heads to talk about film and what makes something amazing. And here they are talking about how 300 got away from a number of them and how amazing Zack Snyder made this film. And even how they couldn't find the right director to make this come together.

Talk about allowing bias to inform your opinion. But folks that know comics clearly know more.

:facepalm:

I specifically said, "visionary director of comic book movies", for this very reason. He is the best at making movies feel like a moving graphic novel. Comic books and directing film projects are 2 different niches and Snyder is the best at blending the mediums together. It's not all him, but it's his responsibility to manage everything and the results make it seem like it's effortless for him to pull these projects off.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, ▫️ said:

How all of us band nerds in high school imagined ourselves. Hot girls everywhere, some Viking rocking an electric guitar solo and Hans Zimmer literally has a cocktail shaker on his piano.

How could anyone hear that theme or see THAT MOVIE and think 'What a mess'??

Edited by Bosco685

On 3/10/2022 at 9:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

How could anyone hear that theme or THAT MOVIE and think 'What a mess'??

Throw on some decent headphones and listen to this concert and it will stir up some emotions in you. Unless you’re dead inside.

I HATE going to the gym but this track gets me in there. My gym playlist includes a lot of Zimmer including The Dark Knight, Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

How could anyone hear that theme or see THAT MOVIE and think 'What a mess'??

Uhhhhhhhhhh.  I like the music.  But a lot of that movie was a complete mess.

Looked good though.  

Oh man, I'd have to re-watch it for a full critique, it's been years.  

I do remember that I thought how Kevin Costner's Pa Kent died - meant to come across as this great noble sacrifice - was incredibly stupid.  And the reason the Kryptonians even came to Earth (something about Clark secretly carrying their "genetic history" or something like that) was also needlessly and stupidly convoluted.  And how Superman was "forced" to kill Zod at the end felt particularly artificial.

But I admit I am a nit-picker when it comes to plots.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, Axelrod said:

I do remember that I thought how Kevin Costner's Pa Kent died - meant to come across as this great noble sacrifice - was incredibly stupid.  And the reason the Kryptonians even came to Earth (something about Clark secretly carrying their "genetic history" or something like that) was also needlessly and stupidly convoluted.  And how Superman was "forced" to kill Zod at the end felt particularly artificial.

No worries. You're just sharing your opinions and what you personally like or don't like. These films are either going to work or not work for comic book fans, with in-between landing with grumbling.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. But there is always room to alter things here and there after-the-fact based on what we assume the story should have been. But I made sure to grab this on 4K I enjoyed it so much.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:38 PM, Axelrod said:

I'm not sure how it was needless or convoluted? Jor-El gave the codex to Kal so that Krypton's history didn't die with their planet. Zod went after it so that he could rebuild Krypton the same as it was.

All writing is convenience and/or happenstance. It's fair to say that most of Man of Steel has very tight writing within its own context, though.