• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, namisgr said:

It's not as hard as you may think for early Silver Age Marvels.

Wile pressing may lead to some cover shrinkage or alignment issues on older books, I believe most of the damage is not because the book was pressed, but because the book was PREPPED and pressed incorrectly. 

12 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I think he meant the making fun of others for their gender fluidity (shrug)

I’m not making fun of him at all for that.

I’ve worked around many different lifestyles in my time in the Adult Entertainment Industry. Whatever makes people happy is 100% cool with me as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else.

I think Rozanski’s a creep because of who he’s ALWAYS been, not because of what he’s into now. 

11 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I think he meant the making fun of others for their gender fluidity (shrug)

I did, and I imagine C_G knew that. 

I've watched board members pile on people ever since I joined. Chuck, for many here, has become a special point of ridicule. It's the sort of casual cruelty the internet specializes in, and I'm ashamed to be part of a community that so liberally engages in it.

2 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I've watched board members pile on people ever since I joined. Chuck, for many here, has become a special point of ridicule. It's the sort of casual cruelty the internet specializes in, and I'm ashamed to be part of a community that so liberally engages in it.

I like Chuck.  He is friendly and he does not force anyone to buy his books.  He paid all the money he could muster for the Church Collection, borrowing from several dealers in return for many of the books.  The collection was destined for the garbage dump-he stopped that.  If I remember right at least one other dealer was offered the collection and declined.  Also if I remember right they just wanted someone to haul the books away and Chuck may have been able to get them all for free.  When he finalized the deal they said 'ok but you'll have to take all the rest of the books too'-and thats when they opened the main trove in the closet.  

4 hours ago, comicwiz said:
7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The same topic was started in the Watercooler and I was personally attacked by several people even though I thought I stated my points pretty clearly and fairly.

I don't appreciate being accused of hyperbole, particularly because I've been here long enough to know when these words are thrown around as an attempt to discredit someone. I also made it clear what my stance was on the subject, so before playing victim, let's establish the order and accuracy of who made personal attacks first.

My post was pretty simple and pretty polite.

You were drawing a parallel between pressing paper and 'squeezing it to within inches of disintegrating' (your exact words). That's not hyperbole? ???

I simply asked for clarification. You lashed back.

31 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

That is literally hilarious. 

On a forum built around comic book 'fans' who specialize in finding the most perfect copy of any given comic in their collection, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Chucky's Mile High Comics doesn't rate very high with some people here. Whereas Lone Star took the lessons they learned from this forum to improve their grading, packaging, customer service and even their web site... MHC's is still over priced, over graded, and packaged poorly. Anyone who pays attention to their web site at all knows he RAISES his prices right before he has a codeword sale.

Not that any of that bothered me... I just chose to do most of shopping elsewhere, but still occasionally bought some drek that I'd find on his site.

UNTIL Hurricane Sandy. Once it hit New York, flooding the city and creating a disaster, Chuck's newsletter that week made a passionate plea to help Mile High out because his New York customers wouldn't be able to buy comics that week because of it!

Now THAT is the sort of (more than) casual cruelty I couldn't imagine a retailer would stoop to... but he did.

So yeah, go ahead and champion the guy... that's your choice. I'll never buy from the creep again. 

59 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I’m not making fun of him at all for that.

I’ve worked around many different lifestyles in my time in the Adult Entertainment Industry. Whatever makes people happy is 100% cool with me as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else.

I think Rozanski’s a creep because of who he’s ALWAYS been, not because of what he’s into now. 

Indeed. Chuck Rozanski will always, always hold a very dear place in my heart for his discovery and rescue of the Church collection. Always. For that, Chuck is a hero of mine.

I don't agree with some of the things he says or does, but I will uphold and support his right to say and do them...especially to say them. As for me....I've lived in urban California (Bay Area and LA) for 45 of my 47 years. It would be quite silly for someone to "make fun" of Chuck and his gender and sexuality issues. 

But it does provide a little insight into how others come to conclusions that aren't true. And that's really a shame, because it illustrates the wide, wide gulf there is between people, and based on nothing more than misconceptions and erroneous conclusions taken from casual, playful remarks on a message board.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Indeed. Chuck Rozanski will always, always hold a very dear place in my heart for his discovery and rescue of the Church collection. Always. For that, Chuck is a hero of mine.

I don't agree with some of the things he says or does, but I will uphold and support his right to say and do them...especially to say them. As for me....I've lived in urban California (Bay Area and LA) for 45 of my 47 years. It would be quite silly for someone to "make fun" of Chuck and his gender and sexuality issues. 

But it does provide a little insight into how others come to conclusions that aren't true. And that's really a shame, because it illustrates the wide, wide gulf there is between people, and based on nothing more than misconceptions and erroneous conclusions based on casual, playful remarks on a message board.

Chuck needs to get some tips from Eddie Izzard. 

18 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

That is literally hilarious. 

On a forum built around comic book 'fans' who specialize in finding the most perfect copy of any given comic in their collection, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Chucky's Mile High Comics doesn't rate very high with some people here. Whereas Lone Star took the lessons they learned from this forum to improve their grading, packaging, customer service and even their web site... MHC's is still over priced, over graded, and packaged poorly. Anyone who pays attention to their web site at all knows he RAISES his prices right before he has a codeword sale.

Not that any of that bothered me... I just chose to do most of shopping elsewhere, but still occasionally bought some drek that I'd find on his site.

UNTIL Hurricane Sandy. Once it hit New York, flooding the city and creating a disaster, Chuck's newsletter that week made a passionate plea to help Mile High out because his New York customers wouldn't be able to buy comics that week because of it!

Now THAT is the sort of (more than) casual cruelty I couldn't imagine a retailer would stoop to... but he did.

So yeah, go ahead and champion the guy... that's your choice. I'll never buy from the creep again. 

Yup. I don't condemn Chuck for his Sandy behavior as you do, but I totally understand why you and others would feel that way. 

Just now, mattn792 said:

Really?  Eddie knows how to wear it with style, Chuck still looks like a geriatric prostitute. 

Well, ok, yes, but...as you mentioned...the foundation is already there.

Send an e-mail to Chuck; I'm sure he could finagle his connections.

(And no, I'm not kidding.)

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Really?  Eddie knows how to wear it with style, Chuck still looks like a geriatric prostitute. 

thats not the way to get code words!

23 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

That’s some _hit.  I don’t recall that particular newsletter, but I know you wouldn’t make that up.