• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yay! Another pressing thread!

And regardless of how many pressing threads may abound, December will mark 20 years of CGC, 5,000,000 or so comics professionally and responsibly graded, IMO, their presence a major contributing factor to the continued popularity, prosperity, and continually active marketplace of this hobby. You can't make all of the people happy all of the time, but I don't foresee any shoes dropping any time soon. (worship)

Edited by James J Johnson

I love pressing threads it's like watching political or religious arguments. The passion on both sides is commendable. 

I don't remember seeing any of the big three auction houses listing a book as pressed or unpressed in their auctions. Do they (the auction site)even want to know ? I just assume if a book is slabbed it's been pressed. What I don't assume if a books been slabbed and it's in a blue label it's been cut on, disassemble and cleaned or as had foreign paper or color added to it. Looks like PSA was missing cards being cut on.

I dont understand the view that pressing is ok if it's 'disclosed'.  Disclosed by who?  If I buy a book on ebay that was pressed 3 owners ago, who is gonna 'disclose' it to me?  Or are we just to assume that any book might be pressed, so that's 'disclosure'.  Seems like a justification type deal.

As far as 'oh god another pressing thread' if someone doesnt like pressing threads dont go to pressing threads.  I dont go to the NFL thread and I would think the same topics come up again and again.  But even if it was all new material I have no interest whatsoever in football. I dont go in there and say "oh god you guys are talking about FOOTBALL?

It's ok to discuss something that has already been discussed.  There's always a new 'wrinkle' to talk about.  

Undisclosed pressing to make a book look better has been going on forever, it's just done more professionally now. Most collectors just want the best looking copy of a book they can get. It's the same now as it was back in the day.

Some used encyclopedias, some used books, some used other methods...

Untitled-1.jpg

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Undisclosed pressing to make a book look better has been going on forever, it's just done more professionally now. Most collectors just want the best looking copy of a book they can get. It's the same now as it was back in the day.

Untitled-1.jpg

Shouldn't you be at a street market drumming up some delicious pho?

4 minutes ago, kav said:

As far as 'oh god another pressing thread' if someone doesnt like pressing threads dont go to pressing threads.  I dont go to the NFL thread and I would think the same topics come up again and again.  But even if it was all new material I have no interest whatsoever in football. I dont go in there and say "oh god you guys are talking about FOOTBALL?

It's ok to discuss something that has already been discussed.  There's always a new 'wrinkle' to talk about.  

We need a checklist of which specific topics have been discussed, so that we never, ever discuss them again. That's just now how dialogue works.

1 minute ago, DavidTheDavid said:

We need a checklist of which specific topics have been discussed, so that we never, ever discuss them again. That's just now how dialogue works.

I guess it's an "I'm better than you-I dont talk about that stuff" type deal.

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

When Steve Borock used to sell here, he would put a disclaimer on his sales threads that read "consider all books pressed"

And I give him hell about it.  For a while.  Then I realized, almost NO ONE care about pressing.  If they do, they'll ask.  That is what I have realized.  Here, I say the same thing Steve did, now.  On Ebay, I don't even mention it.  

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

Teeth gnashing threads about pressing are like a siren song for me. And pho is Vietnamese! LOL

Where are you now, North Korea?

31 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

"Missing" implies randomness. There seems to be a very distinct pattern as to when misses were more likely to occur..

Yeah that may be correct but CGC was missing Ewert's micro trimming. Where they just missing his or were they missing everyone's (the card guy not Ewert). How much trimming is going on in the card world. Maybe this guy was the one that got focused on and was the one being investigated. Are people cutting cards like crazy and getting a lot of AA cards back from grading?

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

Untitled-1.jpg

Is that Chuck/Bettie...?

52 minutes ago, Transplant said:

And I give him hell about it.  For a while.  Then I realized, almost NO ONE care about pressing. 

Are you typing this with your feet...? I could say more, but I'll get in trouble...