• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yup. I don't condemn Chuck for his Sandy behavior as you do, but I totally understand why you and others would feel that way. 

Yeah...Even the following week when he did his Free Comics for Hurricane Sandy Victims (cheapy comics of course), he started the newsletter off with: 

I want to start off today by thanking everyone who has helped us to keep our sales intact during the disruptions of Hurricane Sandy. Thanks to your generous support, we have been able to maintain our operations even though a significant percentage of our clientele were without power for the past week.

:facepalm:  The DISRUPTIONS of Hurricane Sandy....

I don't hate the guy for it... I just think it's in very poor taste. I appreciate his history. I just prefer to do business with others.

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Well, ok, yes, but...as you mentioned...the foundation is already there.

Send an e-mail to Chuck; I'm sure he could finagle his connections.

(And no, I'm not kidding.)

It might get me a feature in the next newsletter.  “The kind soul who took Bettie Pages to new heights!”

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

That’s some _hit.  I don’t recall that particular newsletter, but I know you wouldn’t make that up.

Yeah, it was pretty ugly. I'm sure someone's saved it. I have a copy of it somewhere in my e-mail, but I'm too lazy to try and find it.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

It might get me a feature in the next newsletter.  “The kind soul who took Bettie Pages to new heights!”

Seriously, though, if Chuck is really serious about this, there are some folks in LA who could totally make it work for him. Not even remotely my thing, but you don't hang out on Sunset in the early 00s and not see things. :D

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Seriously, though, if Chuck is really serious about this, there are some folks in LA who could totally make it work for him. Not even remotely my thing, but you don't hang out on Sunset in the early 00s and not see things. :D

Heck, I’m sure there’s some holdovers from the 80’s glam metal scene that could hook him up.

Edited by mattn792

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

A doorman that worked for me for almost a decade was married to a drag queen. One of the highlights of my time in the business was watching her (in full drag) whoop some hoosiers butt one night for talking chit. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

I’m not making fun of him at all for that.

I’ve worked around many different lifestyles in my time in the Adult Entertainment Industry. Whatever makes people happy is 100% cool with me as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else.

I think Rozanski’s a creep because of who he’s ALWAYS been, not because of what he’s into now. 

I think it was the "LOL, yep" that threw me off. My apologies.

8 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I think it was the "LOL, yep" that threw me off. My apologies.

LOL yeps always throw people off.

4 hours ago, JWKyle said:

Yeah that may be correct but CGC was missing Ewert's micro trimming.

Wasn't a reference to CGC missing anything. In the card hobby and card grading circles, missed trim, other aggressive and invasive procedures and out and out fake cards there are so far more numerous than any misses CGC ever made as to make comparison meaningless.

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

My post was pretty simple and pretty polite.

You were drawing a parallel between pressing paper and 'squeezing it to within inches of disintegrating' (your exact words). That's not hyperbole? ???

I simply asked for clarification. You lashed back.

And like I said, your bias and brainwashing prevent you from understanding, similar to what happened with the Cole Schave books, and that you were similarly called out for in that thread. When there's less of a book than you began with, maybe CGC awards those books because there's less of a cover they need to grade?!?. Perhaps you can squeeze these for a few dollars more - there might be less of a cover, perhaps half left, and you might be able to come away with 9.8's or even 9.9's! After all, it's about squeezing out the Benjamin's right, who cares that the comic is disappearing right before our eyes?

We need more @MasterChief

MasterChief said:

Here are a few more Costanzas from the Cole Schave collection for comparison.

JIM-88_costanza-compare.jpg

JIM-92_costanza-compare.jpg

JIM-93_costanza-compare.jpg

ASM-10_constanza-compare.jpg

ASM-16_costanza-compare.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Wasn't a reference to CGC missing anything. In the card hobby and card grading circles, missed trim, other aggressive and invasive procedures and out and out fake cards there are so far more numerous than any misses CGC ever made as to make comparison meaningless.

I'm not sure I can agree with this statement at wholesale. When the Ewart scandal occurred, there were a number of us trying to compile all the before and after scans, which I in turn plugged into an open source registry. At one point, there were over 300 scans. I should also point out that while I attended a convention the very year the scandal happened, I overheard Ewart and Brulato brag that they had over 600 comics in with CGC. There were also a handful of books Ewart bought off me prior to the scandal, in which he significantly overpaid on, and which sounded some alarm bells in my mind, but until the scandal happened, I couldn't possibly fathom he might have done what he was found to be doing. Back to the registry I posted, it was publicly available for all to search and lookup, with serial numbers and identifying characteristics. That server was constantly bombarded with attempts to deep six it over an 8 month period, and finally I had to take it down. Unless you were there, and went through what I and others did to provide this information for the community, and the seemingly demented minds and motives of those who badly wanted this information to disappear, you can't diminish the comparison just with a few words as you have. In other words, the issue was far bigger then, and after CGC opened the floodgates for other "undetectable" work, there are far more aggressive and invasive procedures than you or I could wrap our heads around. As such, a comparison might not be as easily made, because many of us simply gave up the detective work efforts, no pay, openly criticized, and worse, that 8 month period to host that content was on my dime. Don't confuse my unwillingness (and many others who have been discredited over the years for doing the same) to stick my neck out to help raise awareness for a bunch of ingrates, as a hobby that's all hunky dory, and free from future scandals.

Edited by comicwiz

14 hours ago, kav said:

As far as 'oh god another pressing thread' if someone doesnt like pressing threads dont go to pressing threads.  I dont go to the NFL thread and I would think the same topics come up again and again.  But even if it was all new material I have no interest whatsoever in football. I dont go in there and say "oh god you guys are talking about FOOTBALL?

It's ok to discuss something that has already been discussed.  There's always a new 'wrinkle' to talk about.  

Actually, if a conversation is done properly, there shouldn't be any wrinkles.

12 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

That is literally hilarious. 

On a forum built around comic book 'fans' who specialize in finding the most perfect copy of any given comic in their collection, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Chucky's Mile High Comics doesn't rate very high with some people here. Whereas Lone Star took the lessons they learned from this forum to improve their grading, packaging, customer service and even their web site... MHC's is still over priced, over graded, and packaged poorly. Anyone who pays attention to their web site at all knows he RAISES his prices right before he has a codeword sale.

Not that any of that bothered me... I just chose to do most of shopping elsewhere, but still occasionally bought some drek that I'd find on his site.

UNTIL Hurricane Sandy. Once it hit New York, flooding the city and creating a disaster, Chuck's newsletter that week made a passionate plea to help Mile High out because his New York customers wouldn't be able to buy comics that week because of it!

Now THAT is the sort of (more than) casual cruelty I couldn't imagine a retailer would stoop to... but he did.

So yeah, go ahead and champion the guy... that's your choice. I'll never buy from the creep again. 

I worked with k-12 kids too long to turn a blind eye to internet bullying. I'm not sure how dissatisfaction around his business practices redeems the ridicule, if not derision, people here direct at Chuck. People here treat him as a pinata, and when challenged, they claim respect for the man, or that it's light teasing.

Myself, I didn't know I could tease people in their absence. To me, that's just trash talking.

From the little I know about the man, he's a good deal braver with his life than the people here who've made themselves crass apologists for the ridicule directed at him.

6 hours ago, comicwiz said:

And like I said, your bias and brainwashing prevent you from understanding, similar to what happened with the Cole Schave books, and that you were similarly called out for in that thread.

More - what are the words you used? - attempts to discredit someone. Is what is good for the goose also good for the gander? It appears so. Or you're just unable to stick to a polite discussion?

When there's less of a book than you began with, maybe CGC awards those books because there's less of a cover they need to grade?!?.

More sarcasm (and hyperbole)

Perhaps you can squeeze these for a few dollars more - there might be less of a cover, perhaps half left, and you might be able to come away with 9.8's or even 9.9's!

After all, it's about squeezing out the Benjamin's right, who cares that the comic is disappearing right before our eyes?

Edited by VintageComics

2 hours ago, Bookery said:

Actually, if a conversation is done properly, there shouldn't be any wrinkles.

A proper conversation is a rare thing these days.

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I worked with k-12 kids too long to turn a blind eye to internet bullying. I'm not sure how dissatisfaction around his business practices redeems the ridicule, if not derision, people here direct at Chuck. People here treat him as a pinata, and when challenged, they claim respect for the man, or that it's light teasing.

Myself, I didn't know I could tease people in their absence. To me, that's just trash talking.

From the little I know about the man, he's a good deal braver with his life than the people here who've made themselves crass apologists for the ridicule directed at him.

I somehow doubt that any of those K-12 students were notorious public figures because of their own endless self-promotion. Which isn't to say that people can't sometimes go too far in their criticism or ridicule of Chuck, but they are not the same thing at all.