• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Then what's with your garbage avatar..?

It's not garbage. I'm a canine. That's the way I see myself when I look into the mirror. On my page picture, running on the beach, I'm the one in front! :whatthe:

Edited by James J Johnson

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Wait... What..?

My rods and cones work differently than yours. I have a real hard time looking through most panes of glass, and I see everything in varying shades of black and white. It all looks like the picture on a old Black and white TV to me! That's why my snout is so much longer and more receptive than yours. For identification purposes.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I never would have guessed about the connection to Sue. As far as I know, Sue isn't a collectible, she's not 100 years old, and she's probably never been pressed.

fSJJVaO.jpg

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My rods and cones work differently than yours. I have a real hard time looking through most panes of glass, and I see everything in varying shades of black and white. It all looks like the picture on a old Black and white TV to me! That's why my snout is so much longer and more receptive than yours. For identification purposes.

But... You could have this:

JJJ.png

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s not so much that “people” are chopping them up, it’s that CGC is.

It's not just with resto removal. A collector friend just shared with me that CCS tore the back cover off his friends AF 15 when he sent it to them to be pressed.

9 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It is disingenuous to imply anything other than what has transpired over the past 15 years: an explosion of pressing businesses into the cottage industry it has become today performed by hundreds upon hundreds of people, and on several orders of magnitude more books than were ever subjected to the procedures in all the years prior.  Third party grading and their blind eye to the practice brought forth the avalanche - as little as a year before CGC opened its doors, major pedigree collections were still coming to market with nary a single issue having been pressed.

Well said. From the beginning, If CGC considered pressing to be restoration and thus PLOD, we likely wouldn't even be talking about this in 2019.

Edited by Jeffro™

12 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It is disingenuous to imply anything other than what has transpired over the past 15 years: an explosion of pressing businesses into the cottage industry it has become today performed by hundreds upon hundreds of people, and on several orders of magnitude more books than were ever subjected to the procedures in all the years prior.  Third party grading and their blind eye to the practice brought forth the avalanche - as little as a year before CGC opened its doors, major pedigree collections were still coming to market with nary a single issue having been pressed.

Thank-you.

We need this more than normal to clear the air of contextual laziness, which to me is far more mind-numbing than the Dennis Miller drive-by's to remind us of the old "pressing thread" rerun that's airing.

Edited by comicwiz

22 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It is disingenuous to imply anything other than what has transpired over the past 15 years:

OK. For the record, I stand corrected. Sue has never pressed anything. She wouldn't have even tolerated being a witness to it. Her partner did all the pressing, and sparingly, while she wasn't present. CCS/CGC. There's your culprits. Nobody else ever picked up an iron or heated a press with a comic book in the same room, except for those fiends destroying books for money and dropping shoes.

:roflmao:

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

OK. For the record. Sue has never pressed anything. Her partner did all the pressing while she wasn't present.

Your comment misses the forest for the trees.

Ninety-nine percent of those who press comics began doing so within the past 15 years.

Edited by namisgr

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Your comment misses the forest for the trees.

Ninety-nine percent of those who currently press comics began doing so within the past 15 years.

Yes. Who press now. But pressed books already existed in abundance, long before the past 15 years, other than of course, Sue, who we all know never pressed a comic.

26 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

It's not just with resto removal. A collector friend just shared with me that CCS tore the back cover off his friends AF 15 when he sent it to them to be pressed.

Tell me more :popcorn:

30 minutes ago, namisgr said:

It is disingenuous to imply anything other than what has transpired over the past 15 years:

I'm going to assume that in that Restoration Lab advertisement, in 1985, that Sue was part of that company. And the "We" that heads the text refers to Bill and Sue.

The ad mentions "wrinkles and creases" and "spine roll revision", none of which would necessarily include having to disassemble the book and clean it with solvent, right? My knowledge of resto indicates and heat and pressure are the means to correct wrinkles and creases and to revise spine rolls. Am I wrong to assume that they pressed these books to mollify these mentioned defects? Am I wrong to assume that a book didn't necessarily have to have invasive procedures done to do this? Is it possible that Sue may have assisted her partner in revising spine rolls using heat and pressure?

25 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

Well said. From the beginning, If CGC considered pressing to be restoration and thus PLOD, we likely wouldn't even be talking about this in 2019.

They had no choice.  Their slabs were causing damage via SCS, and they had to be able to fix that damage.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I hate this place.

What's the alternative?

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

They had no choice.  Their slabs were causing damage via SCS, and they had to be able to fix that damage.

SCS can negate a pressing and necessitate pressing it again!