• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the other shoe drop with CGC and the 'crack, press, and resub' game?
3 3

873 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

They had no choice.  Their slabs were causing damage via SCS, and they had to be able to fix that damage.

I remember seeing a Restoration Lab certificate detailing procedures, signed by Sue. One of the many boxes that was checked was the spine roll revised box.

I now know that Sue has never pressed. How did she revise a spine roll without heat and/or pressure? And why hasn't anyone else working independently from Sue been able to discover her process without heat, moisture, or pressure pressing? Shouldn't that be the standard way comics are pressed? As opposed to exposing them to heat, moisture, and pressure?

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The AF 15?

Yup... 

I was wrong... the conversation was in the Restoration area and not the PGM area.  I thought I posted this before while I was on my phone.  If the mods removed it then I apologize and remove this too.  However, if not then it was a posting on my phone issue.  I was down by the shore. 

27 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I remember seeing a Restoration Lab certificate detailing procedures, signed by Sue. One of the many boxes that was checked was the spine roll revised box.

I now know that Sue has never pressed. How did she revise a spine roll without heat and/or pressure? And why hasn't anyone else working independently from Sue been able to discover her process without heat, moisture, or pressure pressing? Shouldn't that be the standard way comics are pressed? As opposed to exposing them to heat, moisture, and pressure?

If you'd taken the time to listen to Susan herself interviewed by Vincent Zurzolo, you'd know Susan worked on spine rolls by disassembling comics, pressing the pages one by one, then the cover, then reassembling the book with its original staples.  In other words, as part of restoration.  Those books today receive purple labels, and aren't relevant to the current discussion of crack/press/resubmit.

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Why not read the opening post to the thread I linked?

6 minutes ago, namisgr said:

If you'd taken the time to listen to Susan herself interviewed by Vincent Zurzolo, you'd know Susan worked on spine rolls by disassembling comics, pressing the pages one by one, then the cover, then reassembling the book with its original staples.  In other words, as part of restoration.

Did you just say the dirty word. "Press"? In relation to Sue? How about wrinkles? How do you suppose she mollified them? Did she shout them out? And why would you assume that someone has to listen to the interview to know anything about Sue or/and restoration in general as it's existed before and during CGC years? I may be someone who has submitted dozens of books to Sue over a wide swath of time for various services.

Edited by James J Johnson

21 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

What's incredibly ridiculous is your claim that nobody ever pressed a book prior to CGC without performing major restoration as well..

You just made that up out of thin air.  Show me where I wrote such a thing.

I believe you've overstated by a very wide margin the amount of standalone pressing that took place prior to 2000.  I've been in the hobby since 1972, and have known hundreds of collectors and dealers.  I've pointed out that for every one who was pressing comics in the years prior to CGC opening, there are hundreds doing it now, and thousands of times more pressed books in the hobby as a consequence.  You disagree and called it "abundant" prior to the advent of CGC.  Are there any other 40 to 50 year collectors or dealers that support your view?

Edited by namisgr

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

When did the 1st shoe drop?

CCG Closes Its Doors in Comic Book Conservation

Industry News, Scoop, Friday, April 07, 2006

The Certified Collectibles Group, (CCG) has formally closed Paper Collectibles Services (PCS). Paper Collectibles Services was developed to meet the needs of hobbyists for reliable professional comic book conservation.

Because pressing can raise the grade of a book, PSC has been perceived by some collectors as being in conflict with Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC), also a member of CCG. Paper Collectible Services (PSC), which was originally developed for reliable professional comic book conservation, performed comic book pressing treatment, which reduces certain paper wrinkles, dents and creases in the outward appearance of comic books.

In response to PSC closing its doors, many of its key personnel will be transitioning to CGC's restoration detection division, including Chris Friesen and Cantie Brevard. Friesen, who is among the foremost experts in comic books restoration, conservation and certification, and Brevard, also a restoration and conservation expert, will join CGC's restoration detection team.

Steven Eichenbaum, CEO of the Certified Collectibles Group, comments on this move: "Our primary purpose has always been to act in a protective role to the collectibles fields in which we operate. While I feel the value that PCS brings to the market has been misunderstood, we have always listened to all sides of every argument and responded to collectors and hobbyist as a fundamental component of our business development. Ultimately we did not feel that we were serving in the collectors' best interest if there was a perception of conflict between CGC and PCS."

"I'm extremely happy about this move," said Steven Borock, CGC's President and Primary Grader, "I was very unhappy when CGC lost Chris [Friesen] as our top restoration detection expert. I, and many others, consider him to be the best in the world at what he does. Now, not only is he back in the position I originally hired him for, but he also brings with him to CGC another top expert, Cantie Brevard. This is not only good news for CGC, but for the entire hobby as well."

CCG is a group of independent companies which focus on the impartial, independent and expert certification and grading of the collectible market.

16 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

CCG Closes Its Doors in Comic Book Conservation

Industry News, Scoop, Friday, April 07, 2006

The Certified Collectibles Group, (CCG) has formally closed Paper Collectibles Services (PCS). Paper Collectibles Services was developed to meet the needs of hobbyists for reliable professional comic book conservation.

Because pressing can raise the grade of a book, PSC has been perceived by some collectors as being in conflict with Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC), also a member of CCG. Paper Collectible Services (PSC), which was originally developed for reliable professional comic book conservation, performed comic book pressing treatment, which reduces certain paper wrinkles, dents and creases in the outward appearance of comic books.

In response to PSC closing its doors, many of its key personnel will be transitioning to CGC's restoration detection division, including Chris Friesen and Cantie Brevard. Friesen, who is among the foremost experts in comic books restoration, conservation and certification, and Brevard, also a restoration and conservation expert, will join CGC's restoration detection team.

Steven Eichenbaum, CEO of the Certified Collectibles Group, comments on this move: "Our primary purpose has always been to act in a protective role to the collectibles fields in which we operate. While I feel the value that PCS brings to the market has been misunderstood, we have always listened to all sides of every argument and responded to collectors and hobbyist as a fundamental component of our business development. Ultimately we did not feel that we were serving in the collectors' best interest if there was a perception of conflict between CGC and PCS."

"I'm extremely happy about this move," said Steven Borock, CGC's President and Primary Grader, "I was very unhappy when CGC lost Chris [Friesen] as our top restoration detection expert. I, and many others, consider him to be the best in the world at what he does. Now, not only is he back in the position I originally hired him for, but he also brings with him to CGC another top expert, Cantie Brevard. This is not only good news for CGC, but for the entire hobby as well."

CCG is a group of independent companies which focus on the impartial, independent and expert certification and grading of the collectible market.

Why can't we fast forward to July, 2019?   Is pressing, done within the accepted blue label norms, restoration? I don't think so. Who else shares that opinion, if anyone?

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Why can't we fast forward to July, 2019?   Is pressing, done within the accepted blue label norms, restoration? I don't think so. Who else shares that opinion, if anyone?

I dont think so either.  Restoration can be defined as anything that is additive or subtractative done to enhance the appearance of the book.

The End

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, kav said:

I dont think so either.  Restoration can be defined as anything that is additive or subtractative done to enhance the appearance of the book.

The End

Moisture/heat/pressure added

NCB creases/bends subtracted

:baiting:

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Moisture/heat/pressure added

NCB creases/bends subtracted

:baiting:

no molecules have been added or subtracted.  Moisture leaves, heat leaves.  A bend is not a physical object but a topological feature.