• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does an autograph increase the value for resale?
1 1

58 posts in this topic

And as to the original question - an uncertified signature of a relatively accessible creator would increase the value of the book almost nothing. Graham Nolan may charge $5 each, and the added value would be about that...tops. 

I have several short boxes of signed books, from dozens of creators.  Several have passed on, but even those, I don't think, would have major added value.  

37 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Sure, it was only around 5 of them. Just the first issue of each title. He was just sitting a table with a few other artists by the pool at SDCC El Cortez. No lines, no hassle or money exchanged. He was happy to do it for a wide eyed kid. Times sure have changed...

in my case I was thumbing thru the dollar bin (well this was circa 1980 so it may have been the quarter bin) and saw a Demon 1.  Being a fan of the character I was happy to pick it up to pick it up so cheaply given all I had to spend was paper route $$$.  It wasn't until I got home when I saw a sig on page 1.  Unfortunately the kids aren't interested in any of them and at some point downsizing is in the future so it's time to start the process of finding new homes for them

3 hours ago, csaag said:

in my case I was thumbing thru the dollar bin (well this was circa 1980 so it may have been the quarter bin) and saw a Demon 1.  Being a fan of the character I was happy to pick it up to pick it up so cheaply given all I had to spend was paper route $$$.  It wasn't until I got home when I saw a sig on page 1.  Unfortunately the kids aren't interested in any of them and at some point downsizing is in the future so it's time to start the process of finding new homes for them

Lotta big kids still buying comics and getting in. The end is far from now...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Lotta big kids still buying comics and getting in. The end is far from now...

Hmm don't think I said that quite right.  My kids aren't interested in them and I can see the day when I start downsizing, so hopefully the end is indeed far from now as I'm sure if so take me quite a while to "find homes" for all of them.

Depends on the book and the signature and in some cases the buyer. 

I never wanted an original AF15 with a Stan signature.  I thought it would actually devalue the book.   To satisfy the Stan signature on an AF15 itch, I got that signature on a AF15 reprint so I would not mark up any originals. 

In some cases the creators are secondary to the character and many buyers would rather have an unmarked sample of the book. 

There is no specific formula to how much a book is worth with a signature.  A copy of Amazing Spider-man 175 is worth more with a Stan Lee signature on it than the writer, Len Wein's signature, even though Stan had nothing to do with that particular book. 

4 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I know for myself, autographed comics have less value than a copy without an autograph.

Maybe. Depends on the book, who it is signed by, where and what medium. 

Some modern guy signing with a fat sharpie all over the art. No thanks...

Alex Schomburg signing with a ball point pen neatly at the bottom of the splash page on nice vintage Timely. Gimmie! 

All the signed books I have were gotton by me. Nothing like opening up a book, seeing that autograph and remembering the experience. 

I’ve been collecting a LONG time so I have met most all the greats of the SA and GA. Never had to pay a dime either! :banana:

IMO any *verified* signed book from someone that worked on it while improving the visual appeal is great! To me it would command a premium. I probably wouldn't pay any extra for a sig that's not visible no matter who it was. 

Stan is an exception in the sense there are some books he didn't work on that I'd love his sig and others I wouldn't. It would have to be an appealing signature with the cover featuring a character he helped create.

Signatures = highly subjective/smaller market of interested buyers 

If you look outside of our narrow view on value (comic collecting fandom) a signature on a book (which comics are) increases value to collectors over time example Twain's signature or J.K.Rowling's. Some of us might not like them but they do increase value. The real question is how much? I feel that it is all based on time, how long ago the book was published and if the person signing is still around or signing. I have a verified Conan #1 signed by Barry Smith, I know his signature on the inside increased the value and I feel most on this site would agree. How much, I do not know, only listing it will tell me.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:09 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

The one I am having trouble finding though is a C.O.A Rai 0 signed by Jim Shooter.

Jim Shooter never charges for his signature (and there are lots and lots of them).  There is no official Rai #0 C.O.A. for Jim Shooter or any other signature, though it's always possible a dealer/collector/QVC host could make their own certificates, but in my opinion, those kinds of certificates are just curiosities not extra value.

Official CGC Signature Series 9.8 yellow labels for Jim Shooter on Rai #0 have sold for about $100 more than CGC 9.8 Rai #0 without signature (blue label), so there's a premium being paid for the "real thing" (CGC Signature Series) but not much increase (if any) for a raw copy with an authentic "Shoot" written on it. :grin:

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Jim Shooter never charges for his signature (and there are lots and lots of them).  There is no official Rai #0 C.O.A. for Jim Shooter or any other signature, though it's always possible a dealer/collector/QVC host could make their own certificates, but in my opinion, those kinds of certificates are just curiosities not extra value.

Official CGC Signature Series 9.8 yellow labels for Jim Shooter on Rai #0 have sold for about $100 more than CGC 9.8 Rai #0 without signature (blue label), so there's a premium being paid for the "real thing" (CGC Signature Series) but not much increase (if any) for a raw copy with an authentic "Shoot" written on it. :grin:

(thumbsu