• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Guys Get All The Breaks - 8.5 to 9.2

286 posts in this topic

None of this really changes anything. Those that have trusted CGC implicitly to this point will continue to and those that don't have more reason not to.

NEXT!

I don't agree. There are new collectors coming into the hobby all the time. They should hear discussions about the issues that are hot topics right now. What's the alternative, just shut down the discussion? I don't believe in that.

It's also a worthy topic for the reasons Jim has mentioned. Is CGC down-grading a half-inch tear differently than they used to?

We can talk about it all week, but what will we know in the end? Call Steve and ask, otherwise it's just a circle jerk.

I may have overstated when I said the tear must be a printing error. But I based that not on thousands of giant sized book sI have inspected, but on all the ones I have owned. Those square spines crimp the paper tightly in an unnatural right angle and I have seen th erips on my copies. but not after opening pages etc as suggested.

Aman,

With all due respect: tears, creases, and chips are not production related sumo.gif even on GS issues . . . (unless you're a dealer, of course wink.gifgrin.gif)

-divad

It's also a worthy topic for the reasons Jim has mentioned. Is CGC down-grading a half-inch tear differently than they used to?

NM,

btw, it doesn't look like a "1/2 tear" to me, perhaps 1/8" -- the grader notes only ID it as a "spine tear".

Notwithstanding, I'm shocked it graded any higher than a 8.0 sumo.gif

FWIW: JE bought my Incredible Hulk #162 raw and submitted it without any apparent pressing or cleaning, and received a 9.2 -- Frankly, I think he was short-changed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

None of this really changes anything. Those that have trusted CGC implicitly to this point will continue to and those that don't have more reason not to.

NEXT!

I don't agree. There are new collectors coming into the hobby all the time. They should hear discussions about the issues that are hot topics right now. What's the alternative, just shut down the discussion? I don't believe in that.

We can talk about it all week, but what will we know in the end? Call Steve and ask, otherwise it's just a circle jerk.

Pretty sure I said the same thing about 6 pages ago, but what the hell, it's a slow day at work.

NEXT!

Pretty sure I said the same thing about 6 pages ago, but what the hell, it's a slow day at work.

27_laughing.gif

We may disagree on somethings, but we have common ground here.

I think it's obvious the book is pressed, and that's one reason why it went up., Check the two scans; the first shows slight bends and imperfections on the cover edges, but you could cut a steak with the re-sub copy.

Maybe CGC believes wrongly that the rip might have been production-related, and CGC went soft on it both times. I also may be missing a post, but wasn't there something about a stain on the 8.5 notes, and nothing on the 9.2?? If so, where did it disappear to?

I do not believe the theory that "Jason gets better grades from CGC", but more that he uses pressing and dry cleaning technology to get those better grades. Simple as that, science wins again.

I think you hit it dead on

I don't see where this seller is unethical. I don't know this seller very well, but it sounds like the guy has been really active and successful in comics for a really long time. I look at his ebay feedback and he has 2287 positive feedbacks with raving reviews and no negatives. He has had a legion of people stand up for him on these boards and speak positively on his behalf, as it appears he is not active here.

So let me get this straight, this seller is unethical because (and if any of the following is incorrect, please let me know):

a.) He resubmitted this book and acquired a higher grade despite the book looking exactly as it did in the prior 8.5 holder (and that may not even be the case - does he still own it ? Did he maybe sell it to someone else who resubmitted it to acquire the higher grade ? Did he buy it back or have it consigned back to him in the higher grade ? - the original poster mentioned the book was purchased last year. It would seem like a strange mindset to hold a marginal potential undergraded book for over a year in hopes of resubmitting for a higher grade).

and

b.) (and this is based on a collection of old threads I tried to review here on these boards) he bought a Daredevil #11 like a year and a half ago, the seller of the book said he shipped it directly to someone else, the book got upgraded at some point , according to Pedigree the book was offered to Pedigree from another collector, Pedigree didn't need to buy if from this other collector as he already owned a Daredevil #11, it was then consigned back to this seller with the higher grade holder ,and then finally pulled from auction because the consignor gave him instructions to do so. Other threads have shown this seller's responses to questions directly emailed to him stating he is more than happy to reveal if he personally pressed a book he was selling.

No offense, but I just don't see the unethicalness (is that a word?)

E-bay feedback is virtually worthless. Go take at look at Gio72's positive feedback, yet I can assure you the seller acts fraudulently.

I don't fault anyone for ethical laps simply because they resubmit. Personally, I won't do it, and I don't like the practice, but if someone wants to roll the dice, go ahead. I think, as I said before, it harms the integrity and reputation of CGC by doing so. Therefore, if you support CGC, you should not resubmit.

The post after yours sets forth why people feel Jason and some other dealers are unethical.

BTW, Gert, welcome back to the discussion. You seem to pop up on some very specific topics. How about sharing some info on yourself since the majority of those of us discussing this thread know one another either personally or through multiple discussions.

This is now officially the EVERLASTINGGOBSTOPIC

And it looks like a select few have CGC's Golden Tickets to favorable grades... poke2.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

With everything else that has been said, I do not believe CGC goes easy or gives favorable grades deliberately to anyone. If this were true, it would show an incredible lack of ethics on CGC's part and I honestly do not think Borock runs his team that way.

you assume that Borock is running the show....

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sunny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentaveret, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.

Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentaveret?

Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went heads up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eye! And that smug look on his face, "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

Very VERY funny - there are some bits where he's playing his father that are fall down, laugh out loud funny. It drags a little at the end, but there's very good stuff in there.