• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SECRET INVASION show (2022?)
5 5

311 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2023 at 9:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

Yeah, throwing superspowers into a story is not an automatic panacea to a poorly written series. 

Even the kids can see through that.   The hero's journey is reduced to "hey dude, check out my pump". :facepalm:     Zero challenge, and buy-in for the viewing audience.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:05 PM, drotto said:
On 7/30/2023 at 9:49 PM, kimik said:

I just came across a set of Secret Invasion #1-8 while digging through some old boxes of comics. Is it too late to sell now?

Yes

Eff you DIS for ruining the MCU...........oh well, back to the boxes the set goes.

Edited by kimik

On 7/31/2023 at 12:08 AM, kimik said:

Eff you DIS for ruining the MCU...........oh well, back to the boxes the set goes.

The writer of the series was explicitly told not to read the comic by the higher ups, just to build a story with Fury off the idea that the Skrulls had infiltrated the US government.

During the MCU's Skrull-centric streaming series, Don Cheadle's armored Avenger was revealed to have been kidnapped by the shape-shifting aliens, with the version fans had seen for years secretly being a Skrull in disguise. 

1.) Tony & Rhodey’s Confrontation

Fans will know this sequence for its tense argument that takes place between Robert Downey Jr.s Tony Stark and Chris Evans' Captain America. After Tony comes back to Earth after three weeks adrift in space, he makes the case yet again for his "suit of armor around the world," pointing to the fact the Avengers failed. Toward the end of the scene, Rhodey grabs Tony, something that was once read as a longtime friend reaching to help his compatriot as he is clearly spiraling. However, the reveal that this was, in fact, the Skrull version of Don Cheadle's simply cheapens the moment.

2.) Rhodey & Nebula on Vormir

As Avengers: Endgame sends its team of heroes on an adventure across space and time, Cheadle's War Machine is paired with Karen Gillan's Nebula and is sent back to 2014 to retrieve the Power Stone before Chris Pratt's Star-Lord can get his hands on it. 

As the unlikely duo comes across the Stone on the mysterious planet of Vormir, Nebula and Rhodey share a short-but-touching conversation. Gillan's Marvel hero tells the armored Avenger, "I wasn't always like this," to which Rhodey responds, "Me neither, but we work with what we got." This was always taken as Rhodey describing no longer being able to walk on his own after fracturing vertebrae during the events of Civil War.

However, the whole context of this interaction is changed following Secret Invasion's Skrull Rhodey storyline. Could this have actually been the first indication that the hero was not who he said he was? If it was, it feels a little on the nose and would be the only allusion to such a twist in anything prior to Secret Invasion. 

3.) Rhodey's Reaction to Tony's Sacrifice

While some of the other moments discussed here could be brushed off, these next two genuinely feel like a slap in the face coming off of Secret Invasion. After more than 10 years together in the franchise, Rhodey gets one final moment with his best friend Tony Stark before the likes of Peter Parker and Pepper Potts come in to mourn their loved one. Before it was revealed that Rhodey was actually a Skrull during Endgame, this was a touching scene in which no dialogue was spoken. Rhodey reaches for a dying Tony with a look in his eyes knowing that, yes, it is sad he is losing someone he considered his brother, but Tony can now finally rest.

4.) Tony Stark's Funeral

After his universe-saving sacrifice, Tony Stark gets a funeral march fit for an Avenger to close out Avengers: Endgame. The scene sees the entire super-powered universe gather to say goodbye to the hero that started it all. Part of this gathering is Tony's closest loved ones, Pepper Potts, Tony's daughter Morgan, Happy Hogan, and Rhodey. During this sequence, Rhodey is seen mouthing something to Happy, as the two comfort each other. Of course, with their good friend now passed, everyone is visibly broken up.

What a well planned alteration of MCU history.

:facepalm:

I'm not finishing the series. Where is the real Rhodey? Is it possible that the real one was at Stark's funeral? You know what, now that I think about all this, there's no way that if Rhodes was working with a Skrull he wouldn't tell Tony. Sounds like a bad retcon.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:18 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not finishing the series. Where is the real Rhodey? Is it possible that the real one was at Stark's funeral? You know what, now that I think about all this, there's no way that if Rhodes was working with a Skrull he wouldn't tell Tony. Sounds like a bad retcon.

The director noted later Rhodey was captured during or right after Civil War.

"A lot of people have asked about, 'Definitively, when did Rhodey...?'" Secret Invasion director Ali Selim said in an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com.

"I think his legs not working in the end of episode six and him being in the hospital gown points to [Captain America: Civil War]. And, from there, does it have to be definitive, or is it more fun for the audience to go back and revisit every moment, every Rhodey moment and look at it with a different lens now that they think, 'Oh, he might've been a Skrull there.' And make the decision for themselves, or it'll be answered in Armor Wars."

On 8/1/2023 at 8:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ok, so from what I gather the whole "Secert Invasion" storyline is because some skrull kid got pissed Fury didn't find them a home planet and now wants to kill all humans.  So, if Rhodey has been a skrull since shortly after Civil War, why didn't that Rhodey Skrull tell all the other Skrulls about the awesome planet that they killed Thanos on?  I mean the Rhodey Skrull was there.  Looked pretty freaking fertile to me.  

And these guys are striking when they put out dung like this.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:45 AM, media_junkie said:

Ok, so from what I gather the whole "Secert Invasion" storyline is because some skrull kid got pissed Fury didn't find them a home planet and now wants to kill all humans.

A compelling premise that we can all relate to...

On 8/1/2023 at 8:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

Isn't the director speculating?  He explicitly qualifies his answer with "I think" and then explains why he thinks that.  He seems to be indicating that even he doesn't know when Rhodey was captured.

My guess would be that it's after we see him in the suit again and that the skrull impersonating him doesn't have the suit.  When's the last time we see him suited up--in Endgame?

I generally enjoyed it, but I didn't even know the series was over after this last episode until I just heard you all say it in the thread I caught up on this morning.  Not a terribly impactful ending.  It's not Secret Invasion without super skrull battles, and this one was pretty small compared to the ones I've seen panels for in the comics, so ah well.  Pretty underwhelming.

I thought the CGI was fine in the super skrull fight.  Which television series had better CGI than that battle?  The only other ones I recall were the Vision vs. Vision fight or the Wanda vs. Agatha fight, plus everything She-Hulk did.  I generally expect television CGI to be inferior due to the low budget, so I was glad we got at least some of it.  If it's below the standard of the other shows I'm curious as to why.  If the point is that it's worse than the movies then I agree, yes, it is.  And it was easy to guess it was going to be from the start giving the lower budget of television series.

Edited by fantastic_four

Has anyone seen a list of the powers the super skrulls were using during their battle?  Saw some Hulk, saw some Korg rocks, saw plenty of Captain Marvel...who else?  What was the ice sword hand that Emilia Clarke had, whose power was that?

On 8/1/2023 at 9:23 AM, fantastic_four said:

Isn't the director speculating?  He explicitly qualifies his answer with "I think" and then explains why he thinks that.  He seems to be indicating that even he doesn't know when Rhodey was captured.

My guess would be that it's after we see him in the suit again and that the skrull impersonating him doesn't have the suit.  When's the last time we see him suited up--in Endgame?

The director of the series speculating is the person working directly with Marvel Studios. If anyone is better informed about the influences to the series, it would be that individual (other than the producers). Right?

On 8/1/2023 at 9:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

The director of the series speculating is the person working directly with Marvel Studios. If anyone is better informed about the influences to the series, it would be that individual (other than the producers). Right?

I think that's wrong.  Pretty much all of the directors have indicated that there's a limit they know to the ongoing Marvel story, and this director is explicitly indicating he doesn't know in the text you cited and that if his guess is wrong then the real answer will emerge by Armor Wars.

Which begs the question of who DOES know what the ongoing story across series is?  With Star Wars that was George Lucas, and Kathleen Kennedy has done a VERY poor job of curating the story--or assigning someone else to the task--since Lucas gave it up.  That used to be the Marvel Creative Committee back when Marvel Studios was under Ike Perlmutter, but I'm fuzzy on who that is now.  Is it Feige himself?  One of his main reports?  I don't know, but it's clear it's not the directors of the individual works.  I've heard too many of them now state they don't know the elements of stories outside of their own specific movie or series.

But I really would like to know the names of the people curating the ongoing storyline.  Anyone know?

On 8/1/2023 at 9:31 AM, fantastic_four said:

Has anyone seen a list of the powers the super skrulls were using during their battle?  Saw some Hulk, saw some Korg rocks, saw plenty of Captain Marvel...who else?  What was the ice sword hand that Emilia Clarke had, whose power was that?

Oh, and it was clear Gravik was doing some Ebony Maw.  His arm turned into Maw's emaciated, gray-skinned arm, and he appeared to telekinetically hurl Emilia Clarke like Ebony Maw does.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:40 AM, fantastic_four said:

With Star Wars that was George Lucas, and Kathleen Kennedy has done a VERY poor job of curating the story--or assigning someone else to the task--since Lucas gave it up.

I read this as "good" and my eyes turned red. Then I re-read the sentence. lol