• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s SECRET INVASION show (2022?)
5 5

311 posts in this topic

Many pharmaceuticals alter our DNA effectively making us mutates.  I took Accutane as a late teen, and it altered the DNA of my skin cells so that they secrete less oil.  The skin cells with my old DNA were eventually replaced with new ones with coding that reduced oil production.  Do we need to know that for drugs to work?  No, but if we're curious we can always dig into it.

Same with the X-Men and whatever terminology we want to use to describe them and their origin--we can dig in, or not.  If we do want to dig in without knowledge of how DNA and evolution work then we will inevitably be just as confused as we would be digging into the specific function and effects of pharmaceuticals, or perhaps we'll give up and oversimplify it as convoluted, because that's how humans almost always by default deal with too much information for them to want to bother processing, myself included FAR more often than not.  :blush:  Which is normal and healthy because none of us have enough time to dig into everything.  :sorry:

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/1/2023 at 12:33 PM, valiantman said:
On 8/1/2023 at 10:04 AM, fantastic_four said:

the Iron Man 3 Extremis mutation (I missed this, so if anyone knows when they had an Extremis glow please share)

Fury shoots Gravik after Gravik kills Talos. Fury watches Gravik do Extremis glow healing.

So he already had Extremis DNA in addition to Groot's DNA mixed with his own before that final episode.

I think I missed it--how did he have some of "the Harvest," but not all of it?  Was that addressed at some point?

On 8/1/2023 at 2:09 PM, fantastic_four said:

So he already had Extremis DNA in addition to Groot's DNA mixed with his own before that final episode.

I think I missed it--how did he have some of "the Harvest," but not all of it?  Was that addressed at some point?

I think he was told that he was getting "the Harvest" from one of the earlier Skrull raids/heists but it wasn't the full Harvest. Fury had hidden the real Harvest and so Gravik first only had the "decoy DNA" that only contained a couple of other known powers, not the full set. I'm not sure though, maybe the Skrulls went to the Infinity War/Endgame battle field(s) and did their own dirt-DNA extractions.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/1/2023 at 6:31 AM, fantastic_four said:

Has anyone seen a list of the powers the super skrulls were using during their battle?  Saw some Hulk, saw some Korg rocks, saw plenty of Captain Marvel...who else?  What was the ice sword hand that Emilia Clarke had, whose power was that?

I saw this article last week that breaks down the powers used with some screenshots from the episode...

https://www.ign.com/articles/every-super-skull-power-in-secret-invasion

On 8/2/2023 at 3:05 AM, silverseeker said:
On 8/1/2023 at 9:31 AM, fantastic_four said:

Has anyone seen a list of the powers the super skrulls were using during their battle?  Saw some Hulk, saw some Korg rocks, saw plenty of Captain Marvel...who else?  What was the ice sword hand that Emilia Clarke had, whose power was that?

I saw this article last week that breaks down the powers used with some screenshots from the episode...

https://www.ign.com/articles/every-super-skull-power-in-secret-invasion

Seems comprehensive, thanks!  

If this is how your director feels about the fans and material, why would you hire them? Plus, if management excepts this type of attitude, is anything every get better?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/07/31/marvels-secret-invasion-director-admits-he-does-not-care-about-series-poor-fan-reception-is-it-our-job-to-fulfill-their-expectations-or-to-tell-the-story-that-were-telling/

Edited by drotto

On 8/2/2023 at 7:48 AM, drotto said:

If this is how your director feels about the fans and material, why would you hire them? Plus, if management excepts this type of attitude, is anything every get better?

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/07/31/marvels-secret-invasion-director-admits-he-does-not-care-about-series-poor-fan-reception-is-it-our-job-to-fulfill-their-expectations-or-to-tell-the-story-that-were-telling/

Fans don't write movies.  If they did, we'd miss out on a lot of good movies and shows. Star Wars universe is a great example.  We'd have a lot more fan service Obi Wan shows and not have Andor or Rogue. 

I applaud a studio for taking a risk instead of giving us what we expect.  Loki and Wandavision are other great examples.

Sometimes risks don't work for all fans.  That's ok.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/2/2023 at 1:33 PM, sfcityduck said:

Fans don't write movies.  If they did, we'd miss out on a lot of good movies and shows. Star Wars universe is a great example.  We'd have a lot more fan service Obi Wan shows and not have Andor or Rogue. 

I applaud a studio for taking a risk instead of giving us what we expect.  Loki and Wandavision are other great examples.

Sometimes risks don't work for all fans.  That's ok.

It's not thr taking risk part, it is the complete denial that maybe what you did was not good.  I know he is persona non grata now, but Joss Whedon once said you sometimes need to do what the fans need, not what they want.  The directors does not seem to be doing either. Both the fans and the critics for once agree on this show. It was not good.

On 8/2/2023 at 3:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

"This week's episode of Secret Invasion was the best of the series." 

"There was no new episode of Secret Invasion.  The series ended last week."

"I know..."

Like the old, "The best part of that movie was the end credits!"

:nyah:

On 8/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, drotto said:

It's not thr taking risk part, it is the complete denial that maybe what you did was not good.  I know he is persona non grata now, but Joss Whedon once said you sometimes need to do what the fans need, not what they want.  The directors does not seem to be doing either. Both the fans and the critics for once agree on this show. It was not good.

I'm not defending the show.  I'm just objecting to the notion that the job is to "fulfill fan expectations."  The real job is to put out a good product, whether the fans expect it or not. If this guy failed - so be it. But the notion that you just engage in fan service is a bad one.  "Secret Invasion" is very very low on the list of Marvel properties I'd adapt into a movie. (Maybe above Contest of Champions.) It was bad fan service as a comic, really just a publisher money grab fake event. I suspect you can't make a good version of this story. I applaud Marvel for putting out shows that took the risk of not being an adaptation of a comic - especially since they worked.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, sfcityduck said:

I'm not defending the show.  I'm just objecting to the notion that the job is to "fulfill fan expectations."  The real job is to put out a good product, whether the fans expect it or not. If this guy failed - so be it. But the notion that you just engage in fan service is a bad one.  "Secret Invasion" is very very low on the list of Marvel properties I'd adapt into a movie. (Maybe above Contest of Champions.) It was bad fan service as a comic, really just a publisher money grab fake event. I suspect you can't make a good version of this story. I applaud Marvel for putting out shows that took the risk of not being an adaptation of a comic - especially since they worked.

I really enjoyed the comic event and thought it would make a great movie/show, hell even a whole phase. The hook is clear: 'Who's real and who's a Sleuol) Skrull? Who's been fake this whole time?'. An interesting hook. There's a lot to play with there. 

On 8/2/2023 at 11:16 PM, Cat said:

I really enjoyed the comic event and thought it would make a great movie/show, hell even a whole phase. The hook is clear: 'Who's real and who's a Sleuol) Skrull? Who's been fake this whole time?'. An interesting hook. There's a lot to play with there. 

Then they played with none of it.

On 8/2/2023 at 9:16 PM, Cat said:

"i suggest we all prepare our own meals, and we should only eat from cans" - Fuchs (The Thing 1982)

Was the first time I saw the concept and loved the film.