• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I didn't really care if I got the product, my offer was a lowball, his offer was even lower

57 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

In the end my friend didnt submit an offer

She just inquired about the product

???

18 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Collusion: "secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others."

You'll have to explain the cheating end of it

The two products were

9.8 Edge of Spiderverse 002

9.8 SS Uncanny Xmen 266 Andy Kubert Signature 

Asking price $1300 for both plus $90.00 CDN 

My friend inquired, I offered

He sold at $1100 plus $90 shipping

I thought it was a fair deal

The manner in question is how I went about showing the seller how fair my deal was.

I also use gocollect and GPA to show sellers the Fair Market Value of their product when I feel they are selling at a considerable raise.

That's the difference between a set in stone price and a negotiable one and the tactics employed to get the product.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You'll have to explain the cheating end of it

The two products were

9.8 Edge of Spiderverse 002

9.8 SS Uncanny Xmen 266 Andy Kubert Signature 

Asking price $1300 for both plus $90.00 CDN 

My friend inquired, I offered

He sold at $1100 plus $90 shipping

I thought it was a fair deal

The manner in question is how I went about showing the seller how fair my deal was.

I also use gocollect and GPA to show sellers the Fair Market Value of their product when I feel they are selling at a considerable raise.

That's the difference between a set in stone price and a negotiable one and the tactics employed to get the product.

You assume this, the dealer has no idea..... you also assume the dealer doesn't mind, but based on this thread, that is not true.... just a little less tongue and cheek, but I would take it seriously if you asked the question and started this thread with "serious intent" :foryou: 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You assume this, the dealer has no idea..... you also assume the dealer doesn't mind, but based on this thread, that is not true.... just a little less tongue and cheek, but I would take it seriously if you asked the question and started this thread with "serious intent" :foryou: 

I don't mind the criticism.

I have employed that tactic once

I also snipe bid because it's pointless to bid 5 days out on closing bids

This seller sells things at a reasonable price, I have sent numerous buyers in his direction when people ask me about decent sellers.

I believe it's in the grey area of right and wrong

I also believe a seller that sells a book at an unreasonable price is acting somewhat unethical in their practices too, but at the end of the day it is the buyers choice on weather he wants to fork over the money or not.

I do not believe my friends actions influenced the seller.

I believe when someone comes to you with a reasonable offer for a product you are selling than "Sell"

And if it's a question of transparency 

Why would I make the post fully knowing I am at the behest of people on the boards?

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

In the end my friend didnt submit an offer

he just inquired about the product

Was the seller intended to believe your friend was truly an interested party?

Did your friend consider for even one millisecond actually buying the book, even if the seller (for some reason) accepted his/her offer? If not, he/she misrepresented his/herself with a specific purpose in mind of assisting you in getting a better deal. If you were aware of it, you were part of it. 

That's how I see it fwiw

4 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

Was the seller intended to believe your friend was truly an interested party?

Did your friend consider for even one millisecond actually buying the book, even if the seller (for some reason) accepted his/her offer? If not, he/she misrepresented his/herself with a specific purpose in mind of assisting you in getting a better deal. If you were aware of it, you were part of it. 

That's how I see it fwiw

My friend would have bought the books, then I would have sent my friend an e transfer for the books, so either way I was getting the books

But let's say the seller said "No" to both of us, what would I be guilty of?

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I have a simple solution for you OP

why not raise that question on the eBay forum. 

Use the words you describe here exactly:

youre calling your friends and instructing them to lowball a sellers item on eBay 

ask them if it’s ethical or not

I got mixed reviews

Same as here pretty much

But just like here my thread got moved by the moderators for being in the wrong place.:(

Edited by Hollywood1892

3 hours ago, mosconi said:

I'm very interested to hear which auction houses have been caught shilling their books?  Any links that can provide more info?  I have my suspicions on one auction house in particular hm

i can't remember which auction houses were caught , it was linked here on the the boards a few years ago ... you can probably google it

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

But why message them before actually making an offer?  What’s the point?  Make an offer, and see what happens.  If the seller counters, then you can open dialogue.

If you want deals on EBay,  maybe you should try to develop symbiotic relationships with the sellers who offer the stuff you collect.  

Yeah, I don't get that when there is a "Make an offer" option in the listing.

I get messages sometimes though on straight BINs asking if I would take a lower price. Then the ability to offer a different price is given to the seller when they respond.   Maybe he means that? 

30 minutes ago, greggy said:

I appreciate this.  Otherwise I would miss the interesting threads.  Lately it seems like all I do is paperwork all day, so I appreciate the notifications. lol 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, I don't get that when there is a "Make an offer" option in the listing.

I get messages sometimes though on straight BINs asking if I would take a lower price. Then the ability to offer a different price is given to the seller when they respond.   Maybe he means that? 

I don't understand it either, and yet it happens all of the time to me. I'll list an item, BIN OBO, and I'll get messages asking "What is your lowest?" or "Would you accept XYZ?" to which I can only reply "Feel free to use the Best Offer option to make an offer."

I mean, wtf?