• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shilling

213 posts in this topic

Just now, F For Fake said:

I don't understand it either, and yet it happens all of the time to me. I'll list an item, BIN OBO, and I'll get messages asking "What is your lowest?" or "Would you accept XYZ?" to which I can only reply "Feel free to use the Best Offer option to make an offer."

I mean, wtf?

I contact seller with my price

Than I submit it in offer

I thought if I submit offer and seller denies it than I cannot make another offer.

We ain't as smart as yer fellers down der

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I don't understand it either, and yet it happens all of the time to me. I'll list an item, BIN OBO, and I'll get messages asking "What is your lowest?" or "Would you accept XYZ?" to which I can only reply "Feel free to use the Best Offer option to make an offer."

I mean, wtf?

I live in the village not the town.  I had the option, as a perk of paying stooooopid high taxes, to have a sign put in so people do not park there.  I was tired of all the people parking and walking to the center of the village / town where all the fun is.  They would park right up to the lip of my driveway making it difficult to get in and out. 

A few weeks ago I am in the front working on something in the yard.  I car pulls up asking me if he can park there.  "I dunno, what does the sign say?"  He tells me he knows what the sign says but that he wants to know if it is okay for him to park there.  This exchange went back and forth until he got tired of it, raising his voice and screaming and yelling, and eventually left.  

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I live in the village not the town.  I had the option, as a perk of paying stooooopid high taxes, to have a sign put in so people do not park there.  I was tired of all the people parking and walking to the center of the village / town where all the fun is.  They would park right up to the lip of my driveway making it difficult to get in and out. 

A few weeks ago I am in the front working on something in the yard.  I car pulls up asking me if he can park there.  "I dunno, what does the sign say?"  He tells me he knows what the sign says but that he wants to know if it is okay for him to park there.  This exchange went back and forth until he got tired of it, raising his voice and screaming and yelling, and eventually left.  

But would you let him park there?

21 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I contact seller with my price

Than I submit it in offer

I thought if I submit offer and seller denies it than I cannot make another offer.

We ain't as smart as yer fellers down der

You get four offers, I believe. If you can't get it done in 4 offers, either you're too low, or the seller is too high, so it's probably not going to work out regardless.

Embrace Best Offer! Do it!

1 minute ago, GACollectibles said:

But would you let him park there?

What does the sign say? lol 

I've made mention of it before that I bought my grandmother's house after she passed.  It is disturbing how people took advantage of certain things.  People used to ignore the signs and it was very hard to get in and out of the driveway to get to her if she needed something or if we needed to pick her up to bring her to a doctor.  So when the option came to remove the sign, instead I opted to have everything updated and refreshed to make it clear not to park there. 

I get along very well with my immediate neighbors as they have helped me and I help them.  I have no problem shoveling or now snow-blowing their property as one of them should not be doing that.  For example, there was a couple that lives down the block and they used to walk the dog allowing it to poop on my grandmother's lawn or the sidewalk in front of her house.  When my grandmother was mobile she would plead with the woman not to do it but she would do it anyway.  I was also asked not to interfere.  Once I took possession that was stopped after the first incident.  Now that woman and her husband no longer walk their dog anywhere near the house.   

You should see what happened with the backyard neighbor.  This was the first summer I no longer have their teenage kids or college students hopping the fence and running through my yard after drunken pool parties.  "Someone" broke part of the extension of my detached garage and the hedge line when trying to hop the fence.  I was up at 2am doing paperwork and ran out of the house to go after them but they ran off.  I lost it after a caught the homeowner being stoooopid doing something else.  That involved a couple of fun conversations and threats with a shovel until they got it through their thick skulls to learn their place.  They have been quiet ever since. 

I have absolutely no problem with confrontation if the situation calls for it and all other avenues have been exhausted. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

What does the sign say? lol 

I've made mention of it before that I bought my grandmother's house after she passed.  It is disturbing how people took advantage of certain things.  People used to ignore the signs and it was very hard to get in and out of the driveway to get to her if she needed something or if we needed to pick her up to bring her to a doctor.  So when the option came to remove the sign, instead I opted to have everything updated and refreshed to make it clear not to park there. 

I get along very well with my immediate neighbors as they have helped me and I help them.  I have no problem shoveling or now snow-blowing their property as one of them should not be doing that.  For example, there was a couple that lives down the block and they used to walk the dog allowing it to poop on my grandmother's lawn or the sidewalk in front of her house.  When my grandmother was mobile she would plead with the woman not to do it but she would do it anyway.  I was also asked not to interfere.  Once I took possession that was stopped after the first incident.  Now that woman and her husband no longer walk their dog anywhere near the house.   

You should see what happened with the backyard neighbor.  This was the first summer I no longer have their teenage kids or college students hopping the fence and running through my yard after drunken pool parties.  "Someone" broke part of the extension of my detached garage and the hedge line when trying to hop the fence.  I was up at 2am doing paperwork and ran out of the house to go after them but they ran off.  I lost it after a caught the homeowner being stoooopid doing something else.  That involved a couple of fun conversations and threats with a shovel until they got it through their thick skulls to learn their place.  They have been quiet ever since. 

I have absolutely no problem with confrontation if the situation calls for it and all other avenues have been exhausted. 

I agree

Allow it to reach a head

Than deal with it...

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Weird

I'd rather enter dialogue with a seller before I just blindly submit an offer, and I do that all the time.

Check my Ebay feed back on the thread Good deals on Ebay. Never a complaint

Actually it's more weird to try and strike up a conversation out of the blue with a Feebay seller via messaging rather than just make a direct offer. He's not there to make friends, he's there to sell. And you're not "blind", you can plainly see what he's selling. If you need more pictures or have specific questions about the item, then ask. I mean, what else would you talk to him about? ???

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

lol

I'm not sure how you value the Kubert sig but the rest balances out

ya I'm just Joshin', I don't know what Josh ever did to result in his name being slang, but rest assured he is turning over in his grave :eek: 

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

My general advice in life would be if you THINK something might be unethical, don't do it. Erase all doubt, sleep better at night. Stuff is stuff. There's always more stuff.

4 hours ago, wombat said:

Hollywood - what eactly prompted you to make this thread?

He posted the incident casually in another thread and was surprised when others went after him a bit.  It confirms that he did not "think it might be unethical, but did it anyway".

Personally I have no issue with the practice.  I figure he didnt need to do it tho as sellers get loballs all the time anyway and this doesnt seem to prompt them to just sell.

What constitutes a lowball offer?  If the price was say $1000 (around FMV) and the offer was half of that, I highly doubt any seller would do the deal.  If the offer was $800 (20% off), is it still a lowball offer?

I never buy from eBay, just from shows and a few dealers I've known for a while.  During the summer I was at a show and there were two copies of a book I wanted, All-New Wolverine #2 CGC 9.8.  Both were initially priced the same, about 20% above FMV at the time. 

I offered 90% of asking to the first vendor and he got pissy, almost inferring I was a low baller.  Needless to say, I walked away, at the second vendor, I showed interest, examined the book and asked "Is there room to negotiate with this book?".  He immediately took 15% off and I bought it. Later the first dealer saw me with it in my hands and asked what I paid.

When I told him without any editorial, he went on a bender, accusing the second dealer of cutting the market on a book that was priced over what I found to be FMV at the time.

Needless to say, I will never buy anything from him, he's a regular vendor that has good stuff, but what an unpleasant tool, who thinks he sets prices.

Edited by Darth Floppy

32 minutes ago, kav said:

He posted the incident casually in another thread and was surprised when others went after him a bit.  It confirms that he did not "think it might be unethical, but did it anyway".

Personally I have no issue with the practice.  I figure he didnt need to do it tho as sellers get loballs all the time anyway and this doesnt seem to prompt them to just sell.

Thank you

If I had known I was doing something wrong I wouldn't have done it.

I thought it was savvy 

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:

What was illegal?  A necessary element of collusion according to the definition someone provided earlier. And no, before you ask, I’m not the “friend” who put in the lowball offer. :kidaround:

"secret or illegal..." 

I don't believe collusion or even outright shilling on feebay is actually "illegal", but shilling along with collusion are both unethical practices at best.