• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #184 All Detergent Has Anyone Seen This Version?
4 4

125 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

At least they didn't attempt to peel off the sticker like a lot of people did.doh!lol

I don't know what you mean Morganmi...

722852397_184allraw.thumb.jpg.6da087f1a4fe19580170a97c0e44dfb8.jpg

:eek:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't know what you mean Morganmi...

722852397_184allraw.thumb.jpg.6da087f1a4fe19580170a97c0e44dfb8.jpg

:eek:

There are a lot of these. Back in the day nobody really cared about variants and people thought that if they could get rid of the big ugly sticker it might be worth more. doh!

My take is that back in 1978, the sticker was probably easy (or at least easier) to remove from the comic without damaging it - this probably explains some / most of the copies with no sticker, and no signs of residue or damage from sticker being removed.

If I'm 10 or so, and my mom hands me a cool comic that came with her detergent with a "free with All detergent" sticker, I am peeling that sucker off before any of my friends see it! - if it comes off easy back then.

By the time it was considered more prestigious to have the sticker, it was probably impossible to remove and not leave a trace, let alone remove and put on another book and have it look legit.

I can more easily see someone back in 1978 needing to ship a certain number to a certain place, and grabbing a few with the price to round out a shipment.  Seems much more plausible than some devious dissection of a sticker to try to create a rarer anomaly - and if you were going to do that, wouldn't you pick a mint copy??

Conclusion is it is a legit no-price (with price) variant... with sticker!   

21 hours ago, comicjel said:

My take is that back in 1978, the sticker was probably easy (or at least easier) to remove from the comic without damaging it - this probably explains some / most of the copies with no sticker, and no signs of residue or damage from sticker being removed.

If I'm 10 or so, and my mom hands me a cool comic that came with her detergent with a "free with All detergent" sticker, I am peeling that sucker off before any of my friends see it! - if it comes off easy back then.

By the time it was considered more prestigious to have the sticker, it was probably impossible to remove and not leave a trace, let alone remove and put on another book and have it look legit.

I can more easily see someone back in 1978 needing to ship a certain number to a certain place, and grabbing a few with the price to round out a shipment.  Seems much more plausible than some devious dissection of a sticker to try to create a rarer anomaly - and if you were going to do that, wouldn't you pick a mint copy??

Conclusion is it is a legit no-price (with price) variant... with sticker!   

Seems plausible and the wear on the sticker looks symmetrical to the wear of the book. Hard to prove definitively though. Also not sure what the desirability of a regular 35 cent 184 with an All detergent sticker on it would be.

My understanding is that CGC does not downgrade for the sticker as they would a random sticker on a comic, nor do they downgrade for the sticker missing, since not all issues seem to have had the sticker originally.

So the good news is there is still a chance to one day see a universal CGC 9.6 or 9.8 with the sticker!

On 5/4/2021 at 11:44 AM, comicjel said:

My understanding is that CGC does not downgrade for the sticker as they would a random sticker on a comic, nor do they downgrade for the sticker missing, since not all issues seem to have had the sticker originally.

So the good news is there is still a chance to one day see a universal CGC 9.6 or 9.8 with the sticker!

Yes, but they don't differentiate (at least the last time I checked anyway) in the census if the All Detergent variant is stickered or non-stickered, so someone would have to share it.

On 3/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, Warlord said:

Here's my recent find of the Amazing Spider-Man #184 no price variant with the All detergent sticker!  When I came across it, I wasn't specifically hunting for it because I was just going through a box of random comics when it turned up.  It might have been the only ASM comic in the box.  It's been on my want list for quite a while, but I've never even seen a copy of the no price variant in person before.  I could not believe my luck to stumble across this at the local comic show!   Not just a no price variant but a copy with the All promo sticker intact!  Another cool piece of comics history that I'm very happy to have in my collection!  :cloud9:

1547094943_AmazingSpiderman184NoPriceVariantwithAllDetergentSticker-f.thumb.jpg.cb20cd1ff2a245bf91e63848360665e0.jpg

That's awesome! and a half way decent copy too. (thumbsu

One thing I recently learned is that there seems to be two versions, a white sticker and a yellow one. The Yellow one I've seen more of. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... a word of warning .... pressing one will often cause the sticker to come loose. 

On 3/11/2022 at 2:00 AM, jimjum12 said:

One thing I recently learned is that there seems to be two versions, a white sticker and a yellow one. The Yellow one I've seen more of. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... a word of warning .... pressing one will often cause the sticker to come loose. 

I believe the white sticker ones might actually be yellow. Some scanners change the yellow and light green colors to white. Might be wrong but that's what I've seen in many scans before. (shrug) 

On 3/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, Warlord said:

Here's my recent find of the Amazing Spider-Man #184 no price variant with the All detergent sticker!  When I came across it, I wasn't specifically hunting for it because I was just going through a box of random comics when it turned up.  It might have been the only ASM comic in the box.  It's been on my want list for quite a while, but I've never even seen a copy of the no price variant in person before.  I could not believe my luck to stumble across this at the local comic show!   Not just a no price variant but a copy with the All promo sticker intact!  Another cool piece of comics history that I'm very happy to have in my collection!  :cloud9:

1547094943_AmazingSpiderman184NoPriceVariantwithAllDetergentSticker-f.thumb.jpg.cb20cd1ff2a245bf91e63848360665e0.jpg

Great book! And from one of my assumed  distribution areas.  

On 3/11/2022 at 4:54 AM, Morganmi said:

I believe the white sticker ones might actually be yellow. Some scanners change the yellow and light green colors to white. Might be wrong but that's what I've seen in many scans before. (shrug) 

I have only seen yellow stickers.  I have seen faded yellow stickers that are close to white.

Here is the copy I previously owned.  It wasn't graded when I had it, but I traded it and the next owner decided to have it graded.  I haven't seen any higher graded stickered copies.  I don't regret trading this book, but I do regret selling the item I got for it.  Stupid.  :tonofbricks:

I just did a spot check on ebay and saw copies for sell from my assumed distribution areas.  The game has changed on tracking these, as finding these raw on ebay, with no variant description anywhere to be found, meant the odds were greater that the copy was purchased locally.  Now, with copies being graded, the seller may not have purchased it locally.

Probably another reason why I stopped tracking this issue.  I did own five or six non-stickered copies at one time, so I don't feel the book was rare, but the one's with the sticker still on them were very elusive. 

ASM184_all_detergent_sticker_graded.thumb.jpg.0f35e55b429c4662fe3382b5646cd29b.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 11:22 AM, Warlord said:

Time for the group shot of my All promo comics collection.  Side by side, the sticker on the Marvel Tales comic looks totally legit.  Makes me wonder if some young comics fan back in the day carefully peeled the sticker off of his free ASM 184 and put it on a different Spidey comic?    Makes for a nice set, I think!

IMG_20220310_093045.thumb.jpg.4cd92bdbda5e190bc4e2d3352269191b.jpg

IMG_20220310_093413.thumb.jpg.0a97cd8c64d8a42d9db9f802e847eca0.jpg

Coupled with the ASM 185 35 cent issue with a sticker, that's a nice set.

On 3/13/2022 at 8:22 AM, Warlord said:

Time for the group shot of my All promo comics collection.  Side by side, the sticker on the Marvel Tales comic looks totally legit.  Makes me wonder if some young comics fan back in the day carefully peeled the sticker off of his free ASM 184 and put it on a different Spidey comic?    Makes for a nice set, I think!

IMG_20220310_093045.thumb.jpg.4cd92bdbda5e190bc4e2d3352269191b.jpg

IMG_20220310_093413.thumb.jpg.0a97cd8c64d8a42d9db9f802e847eca0.jpg

Beautiful set Warlord!