• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How have label chasers affected the hobby

306 posts in this topic

What I'm saying is that most people's NM's ten years ago, are not CGC 9.4's.

This is NOT what you said.

Here's a refresher:

"Yes, the prices have gone up dramatically on HG books because of CGC, but that's because the POPULATION of what is TRULY High Grade has shrunk."

Do you really believe this? That the reason CGC books spiked in value is BECAUSE there are fewer CGC 9.4 than raw NM's in the pre-CGC world? You actually believe this whole speculator boom in based on a real-world rarity of CGC NM comics? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Go check the Census on Hulk 181.

In defense of you compared to me, I buy almost exclusively SA and you buy BA.

Oh this is classic. Yes, you buy Silver and I buy Bronze, so that makes you better than me? foreheadslap.gif

I collect what I like, and personally think that anyone investing their savings in any CGC slabs is a WORLD CLASS insufficiently_thoughtful_person with MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS.

I collect Bronze as a hobby, but I'd NEVER be stupid enough to invest any real cash in comic books, Gold, Silver, Bronze or otherwise, so Census numbers are irrelevant to my collecting purposes. It's just "fun money" for me, as you'd have to be brain-dead to fall for that "CGC comics=investment" scam.

Yes, the prices have gone up dramatically on HG books because of CGC, but that's because the POPULATION of what is TRULY High Grade has shrunk."

Do you really believe this? That the reason CGC books spiked in value is BECAUSE there are fewer CGC 9.4 than raw NM's in the pre-CGC world? You actually believe this whole speculator boom in based on a real-world rarity of CGC NM comics?

I'm not talking a speculator books. I don't consider buying HG early SA Marvels speculator books as these have had high collectible demand for over two decades and the census has not gone off the charts on any of these books (but I do feel that there are a few that have enough certified copies to keep prices stagnant for a long time).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In defense of you compared to me, I buy almost exclusively SA and you buy BA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh this is classic. Yes, you buy Silver and I buy Bronze, so that makes you better than me?

Not what I was implying at all. You point about speculators, pressing and uncertified HG books is probably more valid regarding BA then SA.

Not what I was implying at all. You point about speculators, pressing and uncertified HG books is probably more valid regarding BA then SA.

But if you're like me, and smart enough not to invest your life savings in over-priced, slabbed funny books, who cares what the Census looks like in a few years? confused-smiley-013.gif

And as an aside, I'd beg to differ that "pressing for CGC" is a worse problem with Bronze than Silver. Other than select books, there's no reason to press 1970's comics, as raw HG supplies are available.

There are probably more candidates for pressing in BA than SA because there are so many moe 9.2s and 9.4s that have a spot that can be fixed. And there are more in BA than SA because there just are! Youre taking this all way too poisanal Sonny.

I never said there weren't more Bronze pressing candidates, only that pressing is more prevalent in Silver right now, because of the enormous $$$ windfalls for a 0.2 increment and the relatively plentiful supply of HG books.

If you want to look at just the available supply, there are probably far more Modern pressing candidates, but who would ever pay to get a small corner bend out of an ASM 385?

JC maybe some people can afford to buy high grade slabbs much in the same way you buy your raw BA books so why keep harping on the same point over and over. For the time being those slabbs you speak of are probably more liquid than those raw books you purchase.

You talk like everyone who buys slabbs is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Who are you specifically trying to convince on these boards to do otherwise? I guess I could buy a brand new car for $40,000 today and watch it depreciate as I pull it off the lot and maybe get 40 cents on the dollar 5 years from now so why don't you take up that crusade as well?

You talk like everyone who buys slabbs is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? Who are you specifically trying to convince on these boards to do otherwise? I guess I could buy a brand new car for $40,000 today and watch it depreciate as I pull it off the lot and maybe get 40 cents on the dollar 5 years from now so why don't you take up that crusade as well?

The difference being that everyone who buys a car knows it will depreciate as they drive it off the lot, and that the resale value will be a fraction of the purchase price. juggle.gif

I guess I could buy a brand new car for $40,000 today and watch it depreciate as I pull it off the lot and maybe get 40 cents on the dollar 5 years from now so why don't you take up that crusade as well?

A car has a real-world USE, and is a means of transportation, so unless you're talking about rare, vintage cars, I doubt anyone is buying a new Honda Civic for "investment purposes". 27_laughing.gif

And no, not everyone who buys a slab is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. I own a few myself and for my purposes, they're just another angle for my hobby. Some on here buy CGC slabs and break them open.. as long as you're not buying with $$$ in your eyes, hoping to pay for your retirement with plastic slabs, just collect what you want.

But on the other hand, I do believe that anyone who is sinking a substantial portion of their savings into "CGC Investments" is a grade-A insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Everytime comics are hyped up as a "can't miss investment" is the exact moment these saps buying in lose their shirts.

JC maybe some people can afford to buy high grade slabbs much in the same way you buy your raw BA books so why keep harping on the same point over and over.

Trust me, I can AFFORD to buy pretty well any comic I want, but I CHOOSE not to be foolish with my money (which is why I have it in the first place) and not sink a significant portion into plastic-encased "funny books". foreheadslap.gif

I love collecting comics as much as the next guy, but that's all it will ever be for me, a pure hobby without any monetary influence at all. I don't even have the first clue exactly which books I own or how much my collection is worth.

Well, JC's been on relatively good behavior since his return, but I'm starting to see the manic side of his personality resurface again. Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take before we achieve total melt-down again?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I won't be melting down anytime soon, but at the same time, I'm not gonna just let the "slab investors" promote their special brand of retirement funds on the CGC boards.

Why is that someone like me, who preaches fiscal responsibilty and safe and careful investment, is viewed as a "whacko" compared to bozos hoping that CGC slabs will fund their retirement. screwy.gif

Why is that someone like me, who preaches fiscal responsibilty and safe and careful investment, is viewed as a "whacko" compared to bozos hoping that CGC slabs will fund their retirement. screwy.gif

It's not what you are saying, it's how you are saying it. Your posts generally come across as angry, bitter rants. Even people who agree with what you are saying (like me) about the future value of slabs, you method of delivery turns people off. Believe it or not people usually don't repond well to being called "bozos" and "". Perhaps you should try being a little more diplomatic. confused-smiley-013.gif

I won't be melting down anytime soon, but at the same time, I'm not gonna just let the "slab investors" promote their special brand of retirement funds on the CGC boards.

Why is that someone like me, who preaches fiscal responsibilty and safe and careful investment, is viewed as a "whacko" compared to bozos hoping that CGC slabs will fund their retirement.

Here's the problem.

I HAVEN'T READ anything on these boards lately about INVESTING IN COMIC BOOKS. I keep reading from you and KrazyKat how bad an investment they are, but no one, including myself has said, buy now, and retire early.

Plus you continue to harp on how many more HG books there are to be slabbed and how pressing is going to make HG books worthless, and while that might be somewhat the case with the books you collect (the ubiqutious BA X-Men books), that is definitely not the case with all books.

It's not what you are saying, it's how you are saying it. Your posts generally come across as angry, bitter rants. Even people who agree with what you are saying (like me) about the future value of slabs, you method of delivery turns people off. Believe it or not people usually don't repond well to being called "bozos" and "". Perhaps you should try being a little more diplomatic. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well said, Andy. thumbsup2.gif

to say these books will lose all their value is a little over the top the "crash" will be at most a stablization and drop to more realistic values on "most" books the ultra HG and Keys will retain most of their potential resale value, pressing or not how can you tell between books that are pressed by a dealer/collector or have been pressed in their collected state like the Church books being stacked from floor to ceiling?

I dont think it would be so hard to fund a retirement plan with comics

lets see 5000 comics current value $20.00 each x 30 years = beach front condo cloud9.gif

.... how can you tell between books that are pressed by a dealer/collector or have been pressed in their collected state like the Church books being stacked from floor to ceiling?

keep in mind that the 'pressing' that we here deride and are always discussing is NOT like putting an entire comic book into a press, thereby simulating the effect of the Church books piles. Todays pressing is localized to reduce or eliminate specific folds and creases that CGC deducts for. Try to read thru some of the threads here where this idea of comparing pressing to piling up books or using weights was finally debunked in th eminds of most of us... Thers some fun reads in those threads...though mostly in the first 5 or 6 times we all worked on them!!

Here's one JC might appreciate, BA high grade, square bound (therefore likely no pressing) and for the price of only a couple tanks of gas. Now if I dust off my bike and peddle to work for a few weeks, maybe skip those slurpees this weekend I won't feel bad that I wasted my money on this purchase. By hey screw that I remember buying this issue off the rack back in the day and its a big a rush now as it was then, maybe even more. cloud9.gif Did I chase the label, you betcha. thumbsup2.gif

T300.jpg

how can you tell between books that are pressed by a dealer/collector or have been pressed in their collected state like the Church books being stacked from floor to ceiling?

Unless your ceiling stretches to the moon, there is no way you can emulate the incredible PSI pressure of a book press, just using stacked comics.

Kids. tonofbricks.gif

...but thats not the point. Books that stay piled up untouched will be nice and flat..and prettier than most other forms of long term unplanned storage techniques.. But any corner folds or edge crimps will still be there. Piling doesnt eliminate them.

But localized tacking iron pressing does. THATS the 'pressing' that is loudly derided here.