• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How have label chasers affected the hobby

306 posts in this topic

to say these books will lose all their value is a little over the top the "crash" will be at most a stablization and drop to more realistic values on "most" books the ultra HG and Keys will retain most of their potential resale value, pressing or not how can you tell between books that are pressed by a dealer/collector or have been pressed in their collected state like the Church books being stacked from floor to ceiling?

I dont think it would be so hard to fund a retirement plan with comics

lets see 5000 comics current value $20.00 each x 30 years = beach front condo cloud9.gif

I disagree. ASSUMING, no methodolgy for the detection of pressing comes into existence,...than there will be a GREATER SUPPLY of books when they meet DEMAND. Economics 101 leads to the conclusion: The pressing of books will have the affect of bringing prices down.

I disagree. ASSUMING, no methodolgy for the detection of pressing comes into existence,...than there will be a GREATER SUPPLY of books when they meet DEMAND. Economics 101 leads to the conclusion: The pressing of books will have the affect of bringing prices down.

I didn't realize that DEMAND was a constant. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's one JC might appreciate, BA high grade, square bound (therefore likely no pressing) and for the price of only a couple tanks of gas. Now if I dust off my bike and peddle to work for a few weeks, maybe skip those slurpees this weekend I won't feel bad that I wasted my money on this purchase. By hey screw that I remember buying this issue off the rack back in the day and its a big a rush now as it was then, maybe even more. cloud9.gif Did I chase the label, you betcha. thumbsup2.gif

T300.jpg

One of my all-time favourite Thor books when I was young... cloud9.gif

Although....I probably would have just gone for a 9.6 with white pages & perfect QP instead. poke2.gif

to say these books will lose all their value is a little over the top the "crash" will be at most a stablization and drop to more realistic values on "most" books the ultra HG and Keys will retain most of their potential resale value, pressing or not how can you tell between books that are pressed by a dealer/collector or have been pressed in their collected state like the Church books being stacked from floor to ceiling?

lets see 5000 comics current value $20.00 each x 30 years = beach front condo cloud9.gif

Everyone's been taught economics 101 supply and demand 893blahblah.gif yaada yaada yaada but to affect prices to really affect prices downward you would have to have thousands of pressable copies and people willing to put the time, effort and money into pressing all of those potential pressable books into CGC gold. Do you think their are thousands of books that fit that bill for any perticular issue? Even books that show good numbers on the census (1000 or more) can command a multiple of guide while books with almost no representation on the census still not sell at guide or below. It has more to do with the collectors whims and perception then the actual supply and demand of a comic. I think Supply and demand are what dealers use to price books for collectors. The cheaper the supply the more collectable it is because more people can afford what they want. This is not OA where even mundane peices of vintage art cost an arm and a leg

Here's one JC might appreciate, BA high grade, square bound (therefore likely no pressing) and for the price of only a couple tanks of gas. Now if I dust off my bike and peddle to work for a few weeks, maybe skip those slurpees this weekend I won't feel bad that I wasted my money on this purchase. By hey screw that I remember buying this issue off the rack back in the day and its a big a rush now as it was then, maybe even more. cloud9.gif Did I chase the label, you betcha. thumbsup2.gif

T300.jpg

Although....I probably would have just gone for a 9.6 with white pages & perfect QP instead. poke2.gif

Hey don't be a hater. stooges.gif 9.6 BA books are for the common folk. poke2.gifdevil.gif

T300.jpg

Hey don't be a hater. stooges.gif 9.6 BA books are for the common folk. poke2.gifdevil.gif

I think that book would be considered 'Copper'.... poke2.gif

BTW- I no longer believe in CGC 9.8s gossip.gif

juggle.gif

Let's use an example:

ASM 307 CGC 9.6W

1ASM307100DPI.jpg

We all know that this book will sell for about $25-30....and the 9.8 version will sell for a multiple of this.

The question is:

What's the difference between a CGC 9.6 & a CGC 9.8?

Let's pretend that CGC is 100% consistent, and that this book will grade out no higher than 9.6 upon resubmission. What is it that seperates it from a 9.8? Well...if you look closely , you'll notice that the tips of the BC are slightly rounded.

1QPBC.jpg

Could this book receive a 9.8 upon straight resubmission? Possible

Could this book receive a 9.8/9.9 were the corners to be 'fixed' with the use of a tack iron? Probable

Were I to ship this book securely...is it possible it could incur damage that would knock it down to a 9.2 or less upon straight resub? Yes

The distinction between a CGC 9.6 & 9.8 in the current market is an illusion. juggle.gif

Good points, some 9.6's are clearly impossible to pick out from 9.8's but this is one book I just had to have. I also recently picked up an FF#195 in 9.8 (lone copy in the census) and it is ultra special because it was probably the first book I ever bought at an LCS. Could I flip it for double right now, probably, but this one is a keeper.

Some of these BA/CA 9.8's I have in my collection are my most cherished pieces simply because they connect me to my earliest days of collecting. cloud9.gif

Good points, some 9.6's are clearly impossible to pick out from 9.8's but this is one book I just had to have. I also recently picked up an FF#195 in 9.8 (lone copy in the census) and it is ultra special because it was probably the first book I ever bought at an LCS. Could I flip it for double right now, probably, but this one is a keeper.

Some of these BA/CA 9.8's I have in my collection are my most cherished pieces simply because they connect me to my earliest days of collecting. cloud9.gif

I understand the nostalgia... cloud9.gif

Was thinking more about collectors/speculators that will only collect 9.8W....regardless of the book itself. flowerred.gif

For purposes of discussion we MUST assume Demand is a constant because the variables we are trying to isolate are SUPPLY AND PRICE.

For purposes of discussion we MUST assume Demand is a constant because the variables we are trying to isolate are SUPPLY AND PRICE.

To be as accurate as possible, I would suggest you look at it as "potential" demand. Understand that a large percentage of buyers are snapping up books that they feel others will desire in the future. In the era of the speculator, I feel that supply & demand no longer rule the marketplace.

Everyone's been taught economics 101 supply and demand 893blahblah.gif yaada yaada yaada but to affect prices to really affect prices downward you would have to have thousands of pressable copies .......more people can afford what they want. This is not OA where even mundane peices of vintage art cost an arm and a leg

I disagree. Hypothetically, if you have 16 copies of ASM in 9.4's and 3 copies of ASM in 9.6,.....if you press even two of the 9.4's into 9.6's youve almost DOUBLED the supply of 9.6's. The effect this would have on price CAN NOT be denied. Pressing DISTORTS supply and DECREASES PRICES. Economic Fact !

I think it's great that you're buying books important to you from an emotional standpoint and just don't care about the $$$. It's refreshing.

Where did you pick up your copy of Thor 337? That's definitely one that I want to pick up. cloud9.gif