• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Covers Ever - Let's See 'Em!

721 posts in this topic

Don't waste your money on that book (especially just for the cover) buy another bottle of Dr. Pepper!
For those of you wondering, Kilt and I had a good round of PM's about Dr.Pepper yesterday... we were quite bored at the time. confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't waste your money on that book (especially just for the cover) buy another bottle of Dr. Pepper!
For those of you wondering, Kilt and I had a good round of PM's about Dr.Pepper yesterday... we were quite bored at the time. confused-smiley-013.gif
headbang.gif

Here's another Kaare Andrews you're sure to hate, it's one of my favorites!

hulk-49.jpg

Actually, I thought that one was pretty clever and almost got it for the cover alone.

I like that one as well. A nice play on the kiddie's classic.

every single window is lit up. what the hell is that all about? lots of late night workers? Spidey's visiting Fairbanks, Alaska in mid-winter, and it's really three in the afternoon?

confused-smiley-013.gif

And right in the center of the picture is a guy swinging on a web at the tops of the skyscrapers wearing blue and red pajamas.

So what's your point exactly?

oh, not this straw man again.

look, the very act of purchasing a comic requires some level of disbelief suspension. that's part of the fantasy aspect.

part and parcel in with that is the concept that if the story is going to be contained within an otherwise believable universe, certain precepts will be adhered to. so, while the Hulk can lift items that should actually either crush the ground under his feet, or shatter his bones, normal humans in the story won't be walking upside down or breathing water or whatever.

its the ability to finely meld the real and the unreal which separates the bad from the good. taking the unreal and placing them carefully among the real, and being seamless about it is a fine art. it is a demanding art. and those who disregard it, even for something trivial, insult those of us who choose not to give blind acceptance of everything beyond the guy in blue and red tights, swinging from an impossibly long and strong string.

that't my point. or points.

makepoint.gif

And right in the center of the picture is a guy swinging on a web at the tops of the skyscrapers wearing blue and red pajamas.

That you win the CGC Mr Modern Fanboy Award hands down? 893applaud-thumb.gif

I remember standing there....14 years old.....and wondering if Kirby had suffered a stroke...

uxmen053.jpg

But you know that's a Barry Smith cover, right? gossip.gif

In his Kirby Klone phase.

Oh, yeah....I know NOW! I think that was THE first professional work of his to appear. I think there was a Shield or Daredevil cover right around the same time. It was a dark day in Marvel Town. High school level art.

That you win the CGC Mr Modern Fanboy Award hands down? 893applaud-thumb.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

I don't belong here.

These are just reminders that Silver Age of Marvel had it's dogs a'plenty too. A few months after his debut, Marvel was letting Smith do two covers a month. I think this was the beginning of the end for me and Marvel at that time.....

What the hell is the guy in the background doing in the first cover.....and one of the cool things about hats is that they are supposed to be bigger than your head! The guy looks like a lawn jockey!

smithmonsters.jpg

smithmonsters.jpg
Well actually I don't care for the shoulder holster. I have one that has 3 straps, but Fury's there seems to just lie on his chest. Must be that Shield velcro pouch.

...I have no idea who this artist was , but boy he sucked....

96911632384.210.GIF

96911632384.209.GIF

Ric Estrada, with Colletta inks.

Wow,...how did he find the time to do comics and do CHiPS?... confused.gif

These are just reminders that Silver Age of Marvel had it's dogs a'plenty too. A few months after his debut, Marvel was letting Smith do two covers a month. I think this was the beginning of the end for me and Marvel at that time.....

I've never looked carefully at these covers before. That's about the time I started wandering off from Marvel -- comic books in general, really -- too.

Obviously Smith was trying too hard to be Steranko. Maybe he was under orders to do so. I suppose he deserves a break because these were some of his earliest work, right?

What the hell is the guy in the background doing in the first cover.....and one of the cool things about hats is that they are supposed to be bigger than your head! The guy looks like a lawn jockey!

Yeh, that's a truly amazing center of gravity stunt on the first cover.

I don't think these are bad enough to compete with some of the covers others have shown.

Jack