• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,038 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 8:31 PM, paqart said:

I got a big surprise today. I'd bought some ASMs based on a set of photos that indicated about 15 newsstands out of 30 comics. Turns out the seller didn't post photos of all the included comics. Instead of 15 newsstands out of 30, I received 35 newsstands out of about 60. The first photo of 4 comics is from my last purchase of NS ASMs, not posted at the time. I'd been looking for a copy of ASM 617 for a couple of years without luck. Now I have 3!

ASM 06.jpg

ASM 17 01 (2).jpg

ASM 17 02 (2).jpg

Result :grin:

On 4/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, paqart said:

I got a big surprise today. I'd bought some ASMs based on a set of photos that indicated about 15 newsstands out of 30 comics. Turns out the seller didn't post photos of all the included comics. Instead of 15 newsstands out of 30, I received 35 newsstands out of about 60. The first photo of 4 comics is from my last purchase of NS ASMs, not posted at the time. I'd been looking for a copy of ASM 617 for a couple of years without luck. Now I have 3!

ASM 06.jpg

ASM 17 01 (2).jpg

ASM 17 02 (2).jpg

^^ 

and if you're feeling generous lol:takeit: the #605 Lol :jokealert:

Congrats!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
edit to joke :) noice books!

One of the comics in the group I received this week looked awful. It looked so bad that I didn't take its picture or show it here. However, after looking at it more closely, I am wondering if it is a manufacturing defect as opposed to post-distribution damage. Either way, this comic is low grade but I am curious what others on the board may think. The problem is that it has a vertical streak of ink running all the way from top to bottom of the right side of the cover. It runs straight through the UPC box. It is a newsstand but that is a little tricky to see at first if you are looking at the bar code. Luckily, it also says "newsstand" in one corner of the box. 
When I first saw the comic, I thought that some kind of solvent had been wiped across the cover. That would have dissolved the ink and spread it in the direction of the wipe. However, on thinking about it last night, I realized the cover was undamaged in the area of the streak. The comic does show normal wear and tear but nothing that looks caused by whatever caused the streak. That makes me think it happened during the printing process before the ink was dry. That would allow the streak to happen and the cover to dry flat for delivery.

ASM streak.jpg

Edited by paqart

On 4/22/2022 at 10:19 AM, paqart said:

One of the comics in the group I received this week looked awful. It looked so bad that I didn't take its picture or show it here. However, after looking at it more closely, I am wondering if it is a manufacturing defect as opposed to post-distribution damage. Either way, this comic is low grade but I am curious what others on the board may think. The problem is that it has a vertical streak of ink running all the way from top to bottom of the right side of the cover. It runs straight through the UPC box. It is a newsstand but that is a little tricky to see at first if you are looking at the bar code. Luckily, it also says "newsstand" in one corner of the box. 
When I first saw the comic, I thought that some kind of solvent had been wiped across the cover. That would have dissolved the ink and spread it in the direction of the wipe. However, on thinking about it last night, I realized the cover was undamaged in the area of the streak. The comic does show normal wear and tear but nothing that looks caused by whatever caused the streak. That makes me think it happened during the printing process before the ink was dry. That would allow the streak to happen and the cover to dry flat for delivery.

ASM streak.jpg

Looks to me like the a dirty print roller ran right over it.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:47 PM, paqart said:

I sent 75 comics to CGC last March and April. Today, I just received the last 20 comics from those groups. Overall, each group took almost exactly a year to get through the grading process.

DP SW.jpg

BP ASM.jpg

Captain Spider.jpg

X Hulk.jpg

Bat 613.jpg

SuperG slabs.jpg

ASM 30 X2.jpg

W66.jpg

CloneWars.jpg

:takeit:

errr.. wait.. not that thread.  

Oh well.   

Congratulations !!!

On 4/26/2022 at 2:16 PM, ThothAmon said:

You’re en fuego. Probably not a good thing for overall value?  Maybe that’s why Lazyboy gave me the confused  emoji?

460B3A51-0912-4914-AE06-FD72357F5DD7.jpeg

Not great for overall value but it’s not worthless. All versions of Ultimate Spidey 1 sell for at least $10+