• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,025 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2022 at 7:34 PM, djzombi said:

Recent acquisitions!  Most are 9.0+, I would estimate. The ASM (date: Jan 2006) is a price variant, I noticed. Most recent Adv. of Superman is cover dated September 2004.

20220314_191638.jpg

20220314_191743.jpg

FYI: It isn't a "price variant" because the newsstand price is different from the direct. The reason is that all of the newsstand edition copies have the same price. A "price variant" is when the newsstand edition itself has multiple prices. Marvel did this for 36 issues between Nov '1999-Jan '00

On 3/14/2022 at 8:30 PM, paqart said:

FYI: It isn't a "price variant" because the newsstand price is different from the direct. The reason is that all of the newsstand edition copies have the same price. A "price variant" is when the newsstand edition itself has multiple prices. Marvel did this for 36 issues between Nov '1999-Jan '00

now even more to hunt down  :cry:

On 3/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, littledoom said:

2nd print newsie!

F0670D1F-59A2-43C5-B210-C9B61177C4DB.thumb.jpeg.c6ad8d98b5c4c5cb847d1c48e539aeb6.jpeg

I bought one of these at NYCC for $5.00 because I know some collectors will pay a good premium for it. That said, I really hate the cover because it is such obvious propaganda. This reminds me of some of the comics from the sixties when celebrities would be on the cover, thus completely breaking the fourth wall between the comic book world and the real world. A cover related to the story, in the style of a proper Spider-Man cover, would be much preferred. If the story is about SM meeting "the president" it shouldn't be whoever is really president, but a made up president. Making it a real president limits the narrative options considerably.

Edited by paqart

On 3/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, paqart said:

I bought one of these at NYCC for $5.00 because I know some collectors will pay a good premium for it. That said, I really hate the cover because it is such obvious propaganda. This reminds me of some of the comics from the sixties when celebrities would be on the cover, thus completely breaking the fourth wall between the comic book world and the real world. A cover related to the story, in the style of a proper Spider-Man cover, would be much preferred. If the story is about SM meeting "the president" it shouldn't be whoever is really president, but a made up president. Making it a real president limits the narrative options considerably.

They’ve done this multiple times. By they refer also to Spawn and Savage Dragon.. anything to get copies to sell. Cover cameos, variants, multiple prints 

Edited by littledoom

On 3/15/2022 at 8:02 PM, littledoom said:

They’ve done this multiple times. By they refer also to Spawn and Savage Dragon.. anything to get copies to sell. Cover cameos, variants, multiple prints 

Yep, and I hate them every time. It's like those sitcom episodes where they'd have a guest musician  who has to interrupt the already tiny 20 minute time slot with a five minute song and five minutes of all the sitcom actors praising the musicians for how wonderful they are.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, paqart said:

Making it a real president limits the narrative options considerably.

Not to mention seriously dates the book!  So much for "Marvel Time" if Peter Parker met The Beatles and President Obama  xD

At the risk of going off-topic, remember when Cap fought a serpentine Reagan?  LMAO
"Newsie" cover provided in a poor attempt to connect to OP:
See the source image

Edited by djzombi

On 3/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, djzombi said:

Not to mention seriously dates the book!  So much for "Marvel Time" if Peter Parker met The Beatles and President Obama  xD

At the risk of going off-topic, remember when Cap fought a serpentine Reagan?  LMAO
"Newsie" cover provided in a poor attempt to connect to OP:
See the source image

Oh brother. I didn't know about that one. Funny thing, I don't think there have been negative characterizations of certain presidents but I don't recall ever seeing positive portrayals of other presidents. 

Edited by paqart

On 3/16/2022 at 5:01 PM, ThothAmon said:

Don’t be so hard on yourself, you’re a tremendous slouch. The truth is Newsstands WERE handled more than direct editions and are harder to find un-marred by the ravages of time. These ASMs notwithstanding. 

D1799448-F797-4FAF-8447-1F533F69547A.jpeg

I'm curious if your #10, 11, and 13 are price variants?

On 3/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, ThothAmon said:

Do tell?  They look the same as the others to me. 

image.jpg

Yep, yours are all $1.99 prices (not variants". The ones in my photo are priced $2.49. I have a $2.29 variant of the #13 but that's it. The $2.29 issues are very hard to find.