• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,016 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2021 at 12:08 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Whenever I see a 9.8 newsstand issue, I think to myself "How in the heck is that possible?".  I would think that simple act of placing a comic book in a rack would keep it from remaining a 9.8.  I recall Waldenbooks was still placing comic books on the spinning racks in the early 2000's.  So to those folks who own 9.8 newsstand issues, I ask the following question.... How did you find that comic book?   Did you work at the store where they were sold, and were you able to get a copy before it was even placed on the rack?   

Way Back When, as a youngster, I bought plenty of new comics from spinner racks at 7-11, Pangles, or Lawson's stores and the comics at those stores were certainly prone to damage.  But I also shopped at the Rexall drug store where the comics got superior treatment.  At Rexall there was no spinner rack, instead they neatly stacked their comics on the same display shelves alongside the magazines where they were much less likely to suffer any bending damage.   So not every newsstand comic started off in a spinner rack, no doubt there were other venues such as Rexall where the comics had a better than average chance to avoid serious damage. 

1 hour ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Nice haul! Think that last FF is from the 2nd to last month that Marvel did newsstands, correct?

Thanks! I think there were Marvel Newsstands for about a year after that one though because I picked up Matt Fraction's Fantastic Four and FF up at Barnes and Noble through issue 10 if I remember correctly.

The 700 was $25 but I was more than happy to pay it since it’s probably a 9.2 newsstand. Only the second I’ve ever come across.

The Punisher is surprisingly low priced on eBay, you can get one for $15 shipped right now. But yeah, it’s definitely one I don’t see often. Honestly I don’t see any version of that book often, especially the variant.

Edited by BishopT

4 hours ago, BishopT said:

The 700 was $25 but I was more than happy to pay it since it’s probably a 9.2 newsstand. Only the second I’ve ever come across.

The Punisher is surprisingly low priced on eBay, you can get one for $15 shipped right now. But yeah, it’s definitely one I don’t see often. Honestly I don’t see any version of that book often, especially the variant.

I agree Hector had a couple of 100 variant which I have still never seen anywhere. 
@jsilverjanet

Any punisher around 95 and on is very hard to find mostly.