• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2023 at 4:38 AM, Lpgk said:

I give it a solid B. It was fun, the effects were well done and I loved MODOK.

Mid credits spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Mid credits scene has victor timely (Jonathan majors)  in the past and Loki and mobius are in the audience. 

Mid credits scene correction spoiler 

Spoiler

Loki is in the end credits scene. The mid-credits scene introduces the Council of Kangs and features Kang variants Rama-Tut, Immortus, and a future Tron-style variant. 

Saw it in 3D IMAX last night. Some things I didn’t like, but more that I liked.

As I said, MODOK was weird and very very distracting. I could have done with less of the Quantum people and revolutionaries. I’m not sure why Bill Murray’s character was in the movie. 

However, I liked that Hank and Janet actually did something action hero wise. Hope was also a better hero in this movie. Kang was charismatic  and terrifying when it counted. He reminds me a little of Khan from Star Trek. I loved the ants, who hardly had a role in the last movie, I mean the name of the franchise is Ant-Man. 

I still prefer the first Ant-Man, but the villain and better roles for Janet, Hank, and Hope elevated Quantumania over Ant-Man and the Wasp for me. I still can’t say enough how much MODOK nearly ruined the film for me. I did end up kinda liking him at the end tho’.

On 2/17/2023 at 5:04 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This will be one of those movies that, instead of re-watching it, you'll Google YouTube search, "All Kang Scenes in Ant-Man".

Also "All Modok Scenes in Ant-Man" :D It was not some unfinished fx in trailer Modok really looks like that. Damn I want Modok live action Disney+ show.

Saw the film last night with my family. I would give it a below average score of 3/10. My kids, ages 10 and 13, who are usually entertained by any mindless blockbuster even had issues with it.

I loved the comedic ground-level, heist action and supporting cast in the first Ant-Man, and the sequel that built upon the first film worked. But in the third instalment, the "Ant-Man family" is jettisoned off Jumanji-style to a micro-CGI quantum universe for two hours. Still not enough time to build any attachment to the characters introduced or care about any of the nonsense that goes on in that wasteland. The writing and pacing is definitely off in this film, as well as the jokes. I missed Luis and gang - I desperately wanted to hear La Cucaracha in the quantum realm. Jonathan Majors was a however a bright spot. Very charismatic actor who gave some dimension to Kang. But to consider Ant-Man in the same weight category as Kang is not convincing.

Lastly, at one point during the movie my son turned to me and said "Marvel wasted MODOK" - they sure did.

Just saw the movie today.  I was bracing for disappoinment given the reviews have been very mixed.  I was pleasantly surprised - I thought the movie flows pretty well and was quite entertaining.  Some of the jokes were quite bad (they need to stop trying to make every movie GOTG or Ragnorok).  I'd say solid B+ (borderline A-).  

Can someone please clarify for me the background of the big bad - I don't know his back story in the comics - and I've always found timelines confusing in any storyline.

Spoiler

How do all the Kangs know of each other if they are from different timelines?  In the main movie, it's said the Kangs worked together to banish the Conquerer to the QR.  Then in the mid-credits you see thousands of Kang variants gathered.  Is it just as simple as the variants all have the same power and knowledge and thus are aware of each other?  In my mind I was thinking maybe just one of the Kang variants unlocked some secrets/power and while the other variants may have been powerful in their own right, this one was a step above the rest and was going to abuse his powers.