• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, media_junkie said:

Also of note, on that list I saw two in theaters (Spider-man, Dr. Strange), one on streaming (Shang-chi), attempted two on streaming but turned them off after 15 mins (Eternals and Thor) and didn't see the rest, where as I saw all Phase 1, 2, and 3 movies in theaters when they came out.  Based on how poorly Marvel films are doing of late I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Pretty much the same. Saw Spider-Man 3 times. Saw DS2 twice. Saw AM3 once. The rest on D+, and nothing was good enough to complete and/or watch again. I can't think of a single person I know who is excited about CBMs anymore, thanks to all of these mediocre-to-bad MCU flicks, and DC 'rebooting'.

I'm really trying to get people hyped for Oppenheimer, as I am itching to see a good movie in theaters again. The CBM genre dominated my theater experiences over the past 15 years. Most of them were good/great. I just want to see good movies, but if this genre isn't going to produce them anymore, I'm moving on...

On 3/16/2023 at 1:18 AM, Microchip said:

It had a 15min credits section just for the CGI studio's.... 90% of them need to shown out along with Taika!

On 3/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Guessing you're out of the loop on Disney vs VFX Studios?

On 3/17/2023 at 12:13 AM, Bosco685 said:
On 3/16/2023 at 4:18 PM, Microchip said:

It had a 15min credits section just for the CGI studio's.... 90% of them need to shown out along with Taika!

On 3/16/2023 at 11:33 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Guessing you're out of the loop on Disney vs VFX Studios?

Thanks for the catchup (thumbsu

That makes a lot more sense.   Excec's getting bonuses for tightening budgets, and schedules, doesn't produce good movies in the CGI department.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:23 PM, Microchip said:

Thanks for the catchup (thumbsu

That makes a lot more sense.   Excec's getting bonuses for tightening budgets, and schedules, doesn't produce good movies in the CGI department.

That may also be part of the CGI issue, too many studios being used, because they are stretching people too thin.  How do you keep consistency when there is not one person or a small group keeping things in order.  When you are using so many CGI companies they are  bound to have different talent levels, abilities, different approaches, different styles and technologies. I am sure that is not helping with the inconsistencies. 

clearly passing A-M & W ($216M US), unlikely to have enough juice to get past Shang-Chi ($224M US)

Fifth belongs to Disney/Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania at 2,650 theaters with a fifth Friday of $1.3M, -24%, fifth weekend of $5.3M, -26%, $207.05M.

On 3/18/2023 at 1:32 AM, drotto said:

That may also be part of the CGI issue, too many studios being used, because they are stretching people too thin.  How do you keep consistency when there is not one person or a small group keeping things in order.  When you are using so many CGI companies they are  bound to have different talent levels, abilities, different approaches, different styles and technologies. I am sure that is not helping with the inconsistencies. 

I'd agree whole heatedly with that.   The number of studio's used is frankly staggering on some movies.   Logistaically speaking it would be a nightmare, and it seems their focus was simply on cost control.  The results are dismal, and then you have movies like Avatar come along with flawless 3 hour performances.    Not so much as a pixel out of place.

At this point, Disney is approaching the MCU like a manufacturing model.   Trying to squeeze efficiency into every step of the production process.  Their aim is not for creative excellence.   The life-cycle of the MCU as a profit centre, it is now relegated to mere financial statement analysis.

Edited by Microchip

On 3/17/2023 at 8:08 PM, Artboy99 said:

I put on movies from that time frame all the time. Within the last week I watched Iron Man 1 for probably the 10th time. It is so well written and well cast, excellent pacing, great villain and the visuals look fabulous for 2008. I just want to see good movies as well and the genre is not delivering. Winter Soldier is still the best Marvel film in my opinion.

Agreed.