• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

My searches combining a key word and an author still only go back four years.  There's 13 earlier years with a ton of historically important, informative, and entertaining threads that  can't be found.

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Custom forum installations are a hassle.

If someone is going to install a chat forum and run it, they should expect criticism.

It sounds to me like people are ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

There are still multiple issues years later so it's probably a discussion worth having.

Other than search times, the concerns I've seen listed are trivial.

Going by that logic, we don't even really NEED a chat forum. Everything is trivial.

But if you're going to do it, it should be done right.

Personally, I've found the waits and errors on searches, the limits on searches and the PM opening to the 1st page extremely frustrating after doing it for years. It's all going to depend on people's usage of the forum and what their habits are. 

22 minutes ago, namisgr said:

My searches combining a key word and an author still only go back four years.  There's 13 earlier years with a ton of historically important, informative, and entertaining threads that  can't be found.

If you know the author, here's a way to find old threads that might help you:

Let's take greggy, as he's been here forever.

Step 1 - go to his profile page:

greggy1.thumb.PNG.5c1b5b4f9c6ec7a963595dd7c0db9f0c.PNG

Step 2 - click on 'see their activity' to the far right of his avatar to bring up this page:

greggy2.thumb.PNG.7e90af87df70ca34abdc669ae924ae6d.PNG

Step 3 - from the left hand menu, select 'Topics' under 'Forums' and it will bring up a list of all the threads greggy has created since joining:

greggy3.thumb.PNG.ae1d547bf5c297ace45496aba2a7dae1.PNG

Step 4 - go to the final page, scroll down and you will see his first ever thread - in this case 'What Bugaboo does when he is alone!':

greggy4.thumb.PNG.753b8977a160055924777032ad95a44c.PNG

Step 5 - select that and you're back to a 17 year old thread:

greggy5.thumb.PNG.678fd4ea71e7e35721196867fa2e5f51.PNG

So as long as you know the author, you should be able to find anything with patience.

For anything with a key word, Google is far better than the boards search tool.

Just search "your key word" www.cgccomic.com

I did it yesterday to help Domo Arigato find a Daniel Dupcak post. The key word was 'tarbash' so I searched "tarbash" www.cgccomics.com and got this:

greggy6.thumb.PNG.5d8f009adbc5085e166c1c0c6b3b560f.PNG

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

1.  Most of the boards' largest and most informative old threads don't show up on the first several pages of a Google search.

2.  What you described is great if you happen to know the original poster from a thread started 10 or 15 years ago, but won't be a help if you don't.

Yep, just trying to help as you mentioned key word and author. 

4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep, just trying to help as you mentioned key word and author. 

Understood.  Nevertheless, with a flawed search function and so very many broken links to key attachments there's an awful lot of comic book knowledge and history that was once posted here but has been lost to the sands of time.

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Understood.  Nevertheless, with a flawed search function and so very many broken links to key attachments there's an awful lot of comic book knowledge and history that was once posted here but has been lost to the sands of time.

Genuinely not being argumentative, but could you give me an example of something you can't find? A term that, say, you would type into the boards search function and expect to find what you're looking for? 

40 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone...

vin.thumb.PNG.e17211671354e833edb8eaae59ae26e8.PNG

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
46 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone...

Way to make it personal. Are people not capable of keeping things from getting personal anymore?

51 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If someone is going to install a chat forum and run it, they should expect criticism.

There are still multiple issues years later so it's probably a discussion worth having.

Going by that logic, we don't even really NEED a chat forum. Everything is trivial.

Personally, I've found the waits and errors on searches, the limits on searches and the PM opening to the 1st page extremely frustrating after doing it for years. It's all going to depend on people's usage of the forum and what their habits are. 

Criticism? Sure. Doesn't mean it isn't trivial criticism. (Just to be obvious, this is me and my opinion).

Doesn't hurt to have the discussion.

Your logic does not function like my logic.

I'm more concerned about their cases being done right, which has prevented me from shipping them any comics for a long time. I'm not going to consider them to have failed in some regard because their forum has a few nails sticking out of the wall.

I don't have the delays you mention, though I don't use search that often. That's a database issue and exactly the sort of problem they should resolve. Whether it's a trivial or non-trivial problem, or one somewhere in between, I don't know. Maybe they find that the cost doesn't warrant it? I dunno, but in my opinion, of the complaints lobbied here, this one merits the most attention.

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Way to make it personal. Are people not capable of keeping things from getting personal anymore?

Hmm, I don't take it as personal. If you're opinion is that CGC has a professional responsibility to "do it right" or not bother, should you not hold your own professional site to that standard? 

Just now, DavidTheDavid said:
8 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Hmm, I don't take it as personal. If you're opinion is that CGC has a professional responsibility to "do it right" or not bother, should you not hold your own professional site to that standard? 

If we're talking apples to apples, my site functions for the user. I'm not aware of any glitches or errors. (shrug)

But more to the point, I'm not hosting a site which is promoted solely for people to interact with each other on nor am I taking advertising dollars to promote it as such.

So the site has an obligation to offer service without glitches during that interaction because interacting with each other is ALL this site is for.

That's different than having a site to display my wares on IMO.

I am starting to understand how some people have 60, 70, 80 or 90,000 comments. I have not run into any problems and I have been active a couple of weeks. I will try to find some things wrong so I can have a higher comment count. Are there prizes?

2 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

No. He's overly sensitive and utterly incapable of accepting criticism without getting defensive and seeing slights everywhere. 

Let he who is without sin....