• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Transplant said:

Leave it some (some qualifier definitely NOT tied to how long someone has been here) members to inevitably raise the, "It's FREE!" banner.  In short summary (feel free to search for my lengthier posts on the subject - good luck with that in the new software), the boards are ADVERTISEMENTS.  They are also REVENUE GENERATORS.  See the banner ads above.  Those aren't free and the metric is based on how many eyeballs this site gets.  Your eyeballs.  You are creating money to put in CGC's pockets.  These boards aren't "FREE-ermagawd-FREE!!"

Indeed. This board isn't free. It's paid for in advertising, both direct and indirect. It's paid for by submissions, It's only "free" in the sense that there's no upfront out-of-pocket cost to participate. But it's most certainly NOT by ANY means "free." Every time I post submissions back from CGC, I'm helping CGC pay its bills, both directly (submission fees) and indirectly (inspiring other people to "ooo" and "ahhh" and desire to submit themselves.) These are fees I'm quite willing (and often happy) to pay, but they ARE fees.

Those who think the boards are free don't really understand how websites work.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

1. It's free to join

This place is largely fantastic - and it's FREE

Just to clarify what I said - in respect of the above (forum participation costs):

• The fee to the user to join the forum and participate as a member - £0.00 / $0.00 (Free)
  • The fee to the user to post pictures on the forum (per picture) - £0.00 / $0.00 (Free)

In respect of the completely different question of the income the forum generates for CGC:

• The income CGC generate from forum related advertising - no idea, that's their business

2 hours ago, Foley said:
3 hours ago, Scott =) said:

1) I don't experience this problem when using the envelope icon at the top right of the site (shrug). When you click that envelope and then right click one of the messages and choose "Copy link address" in your browser, what URL does it give you? It gives me a URL ending in ?latest=1, and that means when I click the message it automatically brings me to the last message in the conversation. This is true for me regardless of whether I've read the conversation already. 

Hi Scott,

I think what Roy is referring to is:

When you get a notification that someone has sent a PM, and you click on the bell icon (not the envelope), then click on "So and so sent you a message", it doesn't bring you to the message they just sent. Instead, it brings you to the first page of the PM thread.

I've been clicking the bloody little dot all this time Ryan! 

Still, that's what we were told to do a good while back. I must have missed the update.

Hey, Scott, next time you see me give detailed help / instructions that aren't up to date, let me know!

notif.PNG

20 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
On 11/22/2019 at 8:34 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
  1. It's free to join

Just to clarify what I said - in respect of the above (forum participation costs):

• The fee to the user to join the forum and participate as a member - £0.00 / $0.00 (Free)
  • The fee to the user to post pictures on the forum (per picture) - £0.00 / $0.00 (Free)

In respect of the completely different question of the income the forum generates for CGC:

• The income CGC generate from forum related advertising - no idea, that's their business

I get what your saying. Joining the boards doesn't demand that you send to CGC, nor does it make you purchase any of their products....

On the other hand those that purchase products, then in turn cgc funds the boards, no where is that included in terms and agreements for purchasing said products.

In all reality purchasing products is us funding the boards, yet that is cgcs prerogative, not the buyer of said products.

I think I'm understanding :idea:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I get what your saying. Joining the boards doesn't demand that you send to CGC, nor does it make you purchase any of their products....

On the other hand those that purchase products, in turn cgc funds the boards, no where is that included in terms and agreements for purchasing said products.

In all reality purchasing products is us funding the boards, yet that is cgcs prerogative, not the buyer of said products.

I think I'm understanding :idea:

Edited lol after washing dishes for Thanksgiving containers for inevitable left overs, has left me with fat thumbs! (thumbsu 

I want to say when I signed up for the boards that the "free" part was predicated on a limited number of pm's or data stored and such, but I can't find any of that to prove it...... so I give up lol 

4) I was able to search for a message from 2010 successfully. How old is "older"? And do you have a huge inbox? It would be extremely helpful if you could PM me a screenshot of an example message in your inbox along with the failing search terms you're using to try to search for it.

So the PM search seems to have multiple problems that I have experienced.

This is one:

I did a search for ChiSoxFan to invoice him for a recent purchase.

I get the regular search delay (although it does seem unnecessarily long - I didn't time it but it felt like a minute long - definitely more than 20 seconds - I thought it was going to time out and give me an error)

807469392_Error1.thumb.jpg.d8f25088d2059a1465444f07de878905.jpg

And then once the search was completed, I got this from my search. An old message exchange from 2013 (that I had removed myself from before this latest iteration of the chat forum)

2097425589_Error2.thumb.jpg.9b4e0ab38ebe3e7133513972dfe31f7c.jpg

But I know that we've had other exchanges.

And now I just noticed something....

Did you guys remove the "Recipient Name" and "Sender Name" check boxes for a while in the "SEARCH IN" options?

I was just going to say that those were gone and since they disappeared I've been having search troubles but just noticed they've been back for the first time in months.

Am I doing something wrong?? I could swear they weren't there just a few days ago.

64867997_Error3.jpg.c6ea5de2b5a57430d81a3a04627bfb6d.jpg

3 hours ago, Foley said:

1) I don't experience this problem when using the envelope icon at the top right of the site (shrug). When you click that envelope and then right click one of the messages and choose "Copy link address" in your browser, what URL does it give you? It gives me a URL ending in ?latest=1, and that means when I click the message it automatically brings me to the last message in the conversation. This is true for me regardless of whether I've read the conversation already. 

Hi Scott,

I think what Roy is referring to is:

When you get a notification that someone has sent a PM, and you click on the bell icon (not the envelope), then click on "So and so sent you a message", it doesn't bring you to the message they just sent. Instead, it brings you to the first page of the PM thread.

Correct.

And sorry for not being more clear. I move through my notifications so quickly that I don't realize what I'm doing sometimes. It's just automatic and I really needed to slow down and retrace what I actually do to remember all of the steps.

• Which also brings me around to point 3) about redundant notifications again.

Why would I click on the Envelope to click on a little black circle to go to the last message in a message string if I'm already scrolling through notifications and click on those links (because my OCD wants those damn :mad: notifications gone!) and it SHOULD take me to the newest messages. At least that's how I would think it works logically.

I'll have to pay a little more attention to all of the ways I use to get to my PMs to really have all the details / flow logic now.

1 minute ago, comicdonna said:

I'm not allowed to clean out the fridge.  I guess you're supposed to save the Pyrex containers?

I scrubbed and scrubbed my Tupperwarre, sometimes they're too far gone and I toss them lol

I try not to wait that long eek!

35 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Custom forum installations are a hassle. It sounds to me like people are ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Other than search times, the concerns I've seen listed are trivial.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:34 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

While we're on the subject, here are some of the positive things we get out of being a member of this forum:

1. It's free to join
  2. You can create an identity for yourself and personalise your own homepage and posts
  3. You can share and receive information with possibly the biggest comic community in the world
  4. You can make new friends, regardless of where you are in the world, and stay in touch with existing ones
  5. You can have you say on any comic related matter and, in the case of the WC, most other things too
  6. You can post images, gifs and videos with ease and with no restrictions on volume
  7. You can promote your own website
  8. You can sell your comics, create a feedback thread, build a reputation
  9. You can promote your offsite ebay sales
  10. You can send private emails to friends and members
  11. You can start threads on topics that interest you
  12. You can ask questions and, more often than not, get the answer you seek
  13. You can provide detailed information to the community about things that interest you
  14. You can join competitions, win and offer prizes
  15. You can tag people that you would like a response from, or to show them something that you think will interest them
  16. You can create a gallery of all your comics
  17. You can create a journal to showcase your hobbies or pursuit of a dream
  18. You can interact with people in a reasonably observed atmosphere, knowing that abuse will not be tolerated
  19. If you make a mistake - we all do - you are given many opportunities to calm down by a moderation team that you don't pay for, reflect and return later 
  20. You can share best practice, warn other users of bad practice
  21. You can become a part of a community - we often see groups pulling together when one of our number are in trouble
  22. You can be serious, you can be silly, you can have fun - there are areas for all these types of activity

When you can do all these things for free, isn't it a bit silly to complain that certain cosmetic functional elements are 'unacceptable!' How many of us feel this community is not an important part of our daily lives? How many of us would miss it dearly if it were to close, as other much loved sites have closed?

Lets' enjoy it while we can, warts and all :headbang: