• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ongoing discussions about the chat forum software
3 3

154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Genuinely not being argumentative, but could you give me an example of something you can't find? A term that, say, you would type into the boards search function and expect to find what you're looking for? 

I could give you dozens of examples where the board search function is an utter failure.

Say you want to find the old thread about the Silver and Bronze Age Northland pedigree collection, and the original listings I posted in the thread when it was brought to market by Motor City Comics.  A search of the keyword 'Northland' and the author 'namisgr' fails to call up the thread, and only identifies posts of mine mentioning the pedigree since 2016.

Edited by namisgr

4 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I could give you dozens of examples where the board search function is an utter failure.

Say you want to find the old thread about the Silver and Bronze Age Northland pedigree collection, and the original listings when it was brought to market by Motor City Comics.  A search of the keyword 'Northland' and the author 'namisgr' fails to call up the thread, and only identifies posts of mine mentioning the pedigree since 2016.

Yes, the boards search function is appalling - even Arch recommended the use of Google once as I recall. 

Google throws up about ten thread suggestions using the search term "Northland Pedigree":

Screenshot_2019-11-27-22-15-03.thumb.png.5cc3476a91caacbf70edcf74563459c6.png

It's not perfect but worth a shot. 

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Say you want to find the old thread about the Silver and Bronze Age Northland pedigree collection, and the original listings I posted in the thread when it was brought to market by Motor City Comics.  A search of the keyword 'Northland' and the author 'namisgr' fails to call up the thread, and only identifies posts of mine mentioning the pedigree since 2016.

Not to intergect too much, but have you tried those "key terms" in Google followed by cgccomics.com? 

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Not to intergect too much, but have you tried those "key terms" in Google followed by cgccomics.com? 

Are you extracting the urine Mark? :taptaptap:

7 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Show me a large, long-running message board and I'll show you a search function that doesn't even come close to being perfect.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Are you taking the Mark? :taptaptap:

Just trying to help :foryou:

Didn't see that the responses were so close together lol

And a convoluted was happening, you've got this covered (thumbsu

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just trying to help :foryou:

Didn't see that the responses were so close together lol

And a convoluted was happening, you've got this covered (thumbsu

I've only suggested it about 84 times already in the thread. Pay attention! :bigsmile:

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Show me a large, long-running message board and I'll show you a search function that doesn't even come close to being perfect.

I mean, really compared to Google, it's almost literally they're job lol

Google inc all rights reserved registered trademark ha.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Jeffro, this is just a cheap shot and a mean spirited post. No one is saying you can't criticise the site. As I said earlier, I can match any gripes list you can muster. But the basics are great - posting, thread creation, pictures, links and gifs. Easy, reliable and fast. 

Your post tries to pigeon hole those who say that what we get we get for free as being somewhat naive or misguided. We're not. We just recognise a generally good thing when we see it. 50k+ posts show that you value posting here. Why not be happy about it rather than pour scorn on others who do just that? 

Plus before architect stopped regularly posting, he asked us to point stuff out :)

no worries, some members didn't post after the transition, maybe they weren't aware idk