• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Men’s Adventure Mags
13 13

1,162 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2024 at 8:41 PM, lbcolefan said:

Here’s one I never saw before!

IMG_1697.jpeg

Black covered beauty👍❤️

On 7/23/2024 at 4:41 PM, Jayman said:

IMG_3843.thumb.jpeg.8fac743e07f7326ae1dc2c4390ffe49c.jpeg

hm

:shy: I do have a vein of similar covers running through my collection and want list....it's not for the faint of heart these days

On 8/7/2024 at 12:20 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Great book!  That's number 1.  Number 2 and 3 also have Cole covers but they seem to be a bit more difficult to find.  (thumbsu

Thanks, I'll be on the lookout.  I knew of this one and a few other covers of other mags, I have 1-2 of those.  I'll have to scan them next.  

I just looked up the covers for 1 & 2.  AWESOME!  I'm on the hunt!!!  

Looks like Cole was the editor of Epic through the end of 1958 working for Arthur Bernhard (who did a lot of the sleazy digests and true crime magazines Douglas seems to like, Howell Dodd was at Skye in this period, too).  I imagine it's possible you could find other Cole covers on some of the Skye pubs of that era.  I see he also edited Valor for Men for Skye starting mid-1958 for a couple issues, but I don't see any of his signed covers there. Possible he's got some art work in those mags if they were pressed for deadlines or he felt like it.  A lot of former big name goldenagers like Matt Baker were hard up for work and working for mag publishers in those couple of years after the comics crash any place they could get it, and the magazines were doing far better than the comics...

On 8/7/2024 at 2:41 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

Awesome! Weasels Ate My Flesh always goes for big bucks, but I've never seen the killer pangolins cover!

Here are a couple I have - and one I stupidly let go!

Male Dec 1956.jpg

Men March 1955.jpg

True Men Aug 1957.JPG

Nice, Flex!  That issue of Men Magazine with the bats is a tough book!  So is the True Men, but then, I'm sure you already know all of this. Very cool!!  :headbang: