• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have an idea of how many active comic collectors there are these days?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

I was looking thru my "Photo Journal Guides to Comics" and there was a graph listing the estimated number of comic collectors from the years 1962 - 1995.

The final amount for 1995 showed about 35,000 collectors (I'm not sure how they determined that number).

So, here we are in 2020.  How many comic collectors are there now?  Hopefully more than 35,000.

Is the number going up or down?  I suspect down, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by gadzukes

28 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I was looking thru my "Photo Journal Guides to Comics" and there was a graph listing the estimated number of comic collectors from the years 1962 - 1995.

The final amount for 1995 showed about 35,000 collectors (I'm not sure how they determined that number).

So, here we are in 2020.  How many comic collectors are there now?  Hopefully more than 35,000.

Is the number going up or down?  I suspect down, but I'm not 100% sure.

I also wonder what qualifies as a "collector". Before I returned to the hobby, I had a small stack boxed in a closet for years. Would that have counted in their guesstimate?

I agree the number will likely drop, but I'm thinking paper comics. Maybe the digital comics will replace. I hope not, though.

Edited by MR SigS

I truly believe that with the success of the films it has done one of if not both of the following things :

1) create/ spurn a new generation of comic book collectors

2) rekindle dormant comic book collectors in their late 20’s on 

- in reality, I could speculate that with the onset of things like Key Collector - there is an unquantifiable number of people who just “ buy “ comics to flip , who wouldn’t generally be defined as “ collectors “ per say 

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm on the "hate" fence of digital comics.

I already work at a computer for about 8 hours/day. I watch hockey games and play video games at home. Have a phone on me constantly for research and etc. Paper comics are one of the very few things I do non-digitally. I appreciate the medium tremendously for that.

I wasn't a fan of the idea when it first hit either, but I have been considering looking into it- Not to read the comics, but to have the quick reference ability, or to get a panel or page image with a few clicks on the keypad. But I'm slow when it comes to updating. 

I would define collector as someone who has at least 2 full longboxes, actively buys back issues and has a decent amount of SA/BA books.

I would put the number at around one million.

35,000 in 1995 sounds absurdly low. I know some people were getting out of the hobby then, but still. Weren't there like 5,000 comic shops at that point? About 500,000 comic listings (could be singles or lots) are sold on ebay a month. We have conventions, stores, other venues. I'd like to think there are 100K+ collectors out there.

"Many more “flippers” as opposed to “collectors.”"

We're getting pretty subjective here. I'd be flipping a lot more if I had the energy to. Does that make me not a collector too?

45 minutes ago, the blob said:

35,000 in 1995 sounds absurdly low. I know some people were getting out of the hobby then, but still. Weren't there like 5,000 comic shops at that point? About 500,000 comic listings (could be singles or lots) are sold on ebay a month. We have conventions, stores, other venues. I'd like to think there are 100K+ collectors out there.

Around 1993 the comic store I worked at had about 100 people with pull lists. Even cutting that in half means that with 5000 shops there were 250,000 solid collectors in the U.S.  I think there are more than that now especially if you include anime and TPB buyers.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

"Many more “flippers” as opposed to “collectors.”"

We're getting pretty subjective here. I'd be flipping a lot more if I had the energy to. Does that make me not a collector too?

Can't someone be both?  I look to find comics that I can flip in order to buy more books for my collection.  My luck is very hit or miss. 

Yes, they can. Many people are both. I, myself fall into that category. I pick up books priced right that I can make a little money off too. I usually always, put that profit back into books for my personal collection. There are times I have sold books to pay a bill, put my kids through school or other reasons. I am ultimately a collector in the long run. Nothing wrong with being a "flipper" but I think it a bit sad that some of them just look at the books as a "commodity" and have no real love for the medium its self. But different strokes...