• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have an idea of how many active comic collectors there are these days?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Can't someone be both?  I look to find comics that I can flip in order to buy more books for my collection.  My luck is very hit or miss. 

This is exactly what I do.  I find "deals" on comics I don't care about, buy them, and flip them to buy comics I DO care about.  My goal is to fully pay for the comics I want with the money from comics I flip.

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I was looking thru my "Photo Journal Guides to Comics" and there was a graph listing the estimated number of comic collectors from the years 1962 - 1995.

The final amount for 1995 showed about 35,000 collectors (I'm not sure how they determined that number).

So, here we are in 2020.  How many comic collectors are there now?  Hopefully more than 35,000.

Is the number going up or down?  I suspect down, but I'm not 100% sure.

Let's count.

+1

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve turned into a very sedentary collector, but it’s my resolution to get more exercise and be far more active this year.

An admiral goal, sir. If golfing counts as exercise, so does walking the floor at comic shows.

18 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm on the "hate" fence of digital comics.

I already work at a computer for about 8 hours/day. I watch hockey games and play video games at home. Have a phone on me constantly for research and etc. Paper comics are one of the very few things I do non-digitally. I appreciate the medium tremendously for that.

18 hours ago, MR SigS said:

I wasn't a fan of the idea when it first hit either, but I have been considering looking into it- Not to read the comics, but to have the quick reference ability, or to get a panel or page image with a few clicks on the keypad. But I'm slow when it comes to updating. 

Digital is the perfect medium for modern comics. Have you seen some of the :censored: they release these days? How can you justify killing a tree for that?!

Just now, Batman said:

Digital is the perfect medium for modern comics. Have you seen some of the :censored: they release these days? How can you justify killing a tree for that?!

I don't read many Modern comics.

I'd rather have collected editions of 20th Century stuff than read anything digitally.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'd rather have collected editions of 20th Century stuff than read anything digitally.

Seconded.

But I do read Moderns.

Edited by Batman

I'll just add that in the horror film magazine collecting World that the baby boomers are selling off their collections in droves as the younger generation are just not interested and most of these issues are now available on digital discs. On the plus side I agree that the TV and films are helping to keep the interest going for comics and that's not a bad thing, but does it have a limit?(thumbsu  

5 hours ago, Batman said:

There are some good modern comics.

As well as moderns in digital format, I've also bought volumes containing the 40s and 50s work of Ditko, Kubert, Krigstein, Meskin, Williamson and Frazetta.  Very happy with the presentation, and the ease of access to expensive and difficult-to-find stories.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

I'll just add that in the horror film magazine collecting World that the baby boomers are selling off their collections in droves as the younger generation are just not interested and most of these issues are now available on digital discs. On the plus side I agree that the TV and films are helping to keep the interest going for comics and that's not a bad thing, but does it have a limit?(thumbsu  

horror film mag collecting?   What sort of stuff, Famous monsters, or?

20 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Can't someone be both?  I look to find comics that I can flip in order to buy more books for my collection.  My luck is very hit or miss. 

Yeah, that's my point, many folks are both. I am basically a flipper on 99% of new stuff I get, I don't have much interest in keeping it long term.