• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skottie Young cover dump on his website
1 1

120 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

Is your brother trying to corner the market on commissions (what we've been talking about)? If so, he's really bad at investing.

You've either missed my second point, or you're avoiding it. Which is, you're advocating that artists provide art for below fair market value so "regular joes" can afford it. What I'm asking is, if those "regular joes" decide to sell the art, for whatever reason, shouldn't they then also sell it to other "regular joes" for that same discounted price? So they, too, can experience that "one-of-a-kind, special connection"? You've mentioned that you've sold art from your own collection in the past. Did you sell the art at a discount? Did you make an effort to vet all your buyers for their income levels? Or did you put it up on eBay and hoped to get as much as you could?

Yes, he's gotten multiple slots before on limited commission lists, and he's sold those commissions for a profit. Its basic supply and demand, fewer slots available for others means greater demand in the secondary market. He's lost money on occasion with gambles like this, but in general he does very well for himself.

I didn't dodge your second question, I addressed it in my original post and multiple times in responses since. I don't expect an artist to sell every piece below FMV, but it'd be nice if there were a mechanism for lower income collectors to get a shot as something they couldn't normally afford. Thats all I was saying. I really don't understand the opposition to that notion. I'm not really speaking just about myself here, its more about a broader cross section of collectors. I have enough resources that If I wanted it that bad I could figure out a way to pay for it, it would just be very difficult. Many others simply couldn't, period. I was advocating for some change in the system for all of us. Its more than just a business. You can perceive of it as frivolous if you want, but some art really means something special to some people. Pricing those people out of the market entirely rubs me the wrong way. I'm not advocating for a law or a wholesale rule set. I was just throwing out there an alternative that I conceived of at 7am on a Sunday to help a more diverse range of income collectors have an opportunity to own art from their favorite artists. Again, I don't really understand the opposition to that.

Would I personally sell below FMV to provide for greater access? Yes. Would I do so knowing some people would flip those pieces for profit? Yes. Do I expect other artists to do the same? No. When I've sold parts of my collection, did I do so at FMV? Yes. Have I also listed/ sold things below FMV? Yes, for a variety of reasons. There is also difference between primary and secondary markets that feels like a tangent, but I'm more inclined to cut someone a break who commissions from me directly vs a secondary buyer on Ebay. If someone commissioned me to do a piece for them, would I charge the absolute maximum I thought I could so as to not leave any "meat on the bone" for a resell? No. But that's just me. I hope those answers are more direct than my previous ones.

8 hours ago, Nexus said:

Seems to me that you've made life choices, but you didn't consider the potential consequences of these choices. You've chosen to live a life that is (presumably) spiritually fulfilling, but doesn't afford you the opportunity to purchase luxury items like comic art commissions. Well, I don't know too many people who can have it all. So to me, this does come across as whiny and entitled. If you want to indulge in this ridiculous hobby, then be more like your brother. If that's not appealing, if you can't live with yourself doing whatever it is he does, then fine. But don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you that you can't afford expensive commissions, either.

I think you're making alot of assumptions here. I chose the career path I did, knowing the trade offs, because I felt like it was the right thing to do. Does that exclude me from certain things? Sure. Am I ok with that? Generally speaking, yes. At the same time, people like me have dedicated their lives to serving others. I think it would be cool to cut them a break on occasion in recognition of those sacrifices. There's plenty of others who, through no fault of their own, simply don't have the economic means to attain certain things. I think it would be nice to give people like that an avenue to do so. I think that would be a kind and honorable thing to do. I'm not asking every artist to give away all their art for free, or at a massive FMV discount all the time. I've been very consistent about that.

You say its a ridiculous hobby, but to alot of people its really not. A new comic or piece of OA in the mail can make a real difference in their day, in how they feel about themselves and their place in life. You're discounting that and boiling it down to a basic business model. I think that's misguided. Its art we're talking about, its meaningful to people. You can scoff at that if you want.

I've been very explicit this whole time that I don't EXPECT anybody to do anything. I know what I'm saying will,  in all likelihood, change absolutely nothing. At the same time, it can't hurt to say "it'd be nice if..". It'd be nice if more artists found a way to give an opportunity to some low income fans to have a piece of their art. That would be cool. Thats all I'm saying here. Are there financial ramifications to that? Sure. Should that stop artists from finding some creative ways to get some of their art into the hands of people less fortunate, or who chose to serve for a living? I don't think so. Call that entitled if you want, but I think you're interpreting this all wrong.

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Yep, welcome to the hobby!  Where all of your grails end up in a foreign freeport somewhere never to be seen again by human eyes. lol

But take heart and listen to @Rick2you2. He's long been an advocate for steering your available funds to new (to you) artists that are more affordable in order to scratch that itch of character or quality.

And for many years, my wife and I took shelter in prints as a way to enjoy artists we couldn't afford. They don't hold their value as well as published originals, but... hot take flying in... they might do so better than some commissions.

As to lotteries and such for commissions... yeah, maybe. Sure. But capitalism will do its thing and that's that.

Keep in mind, most comic artists are doing the freelance shuffle. Even if they have a little bit of profile, they don't have that "tick of the clock" paycheck safety net that even minimum wage workers have. They have to push hard wherever they can, for as long as they can.

In your shoes, I'd say budget for and do time payments against a nice published piece. Flip the --script, as it were.

I hope this helps!

Appreciate the response! And thanks for trying to be helpful! Most of my purchases are from little known artists or from "bigger" names that charge (for me) reasonable rates, because that's what I can afford. I just think it'd be cool if more artists found opportunities for lower income fans to snag a piece of their work, thats all. Its not really about me personally, its just something that was on my mind at the time. I knew it was going to be something alot of people would disagree with, so I really do appreciate you offering alternatives instead of just saying "thats dumb" lol.

30 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

I think you're making alot of assumptions here. I chose the career path I did, knowing the trade offs, because I felt like it was the right thing to do. Does that exclude me from certain things? Sure. Am I ok with that? Generally speaking, yes. At the same time, people like me have dedicated their lives to serving others. I think it would be cool to cut them a break on occasion in recognition of those sacrifices. There's plenty of others who, through no fault of their own, simply don't have the economic means to attain certain things. I think it would be nice to give people like that an avenue to do so. I think that would be a kind and honorable thing to do. I'm not asking every artist to give away all their art for free, or at a massive FMV discount all the time. I've been very consistent about that.

You say its a ridiculous hobby, but to alot of people its really not. A new comic or piece of OA in the mail can make a real difference in their day, in how they feel about themselves and their place in life. You're discounting that and boiling it down to a basic business model. I think that's misguided. Its art we're talking about, its meaningful to people. You can scoff at that if you want.

I've been very explicit this whole time that I don't EXPECT anybody to do anything. I know what I'm saying will,  in all likelihood, change absolutely nothing. At the same time, it can't hurt to say "it'd be nice if..". It'd be nice if more artists found a way to give an opportunity to some low income fans to have a piece of their art. That would be cool. Thats all I'm saying here. Are there financial ramifications to that? Sure. Should that stop artists from finding some creative ways to get some of their art into the hands of people less fortunate, or who chose to serve for a living? I don't think so. Call that entitled if you want, but I think you're interpreting this all wrong.

What you've thought up is fairly Utopian.  It's an extra burden on the artist/rep to vet non-flippers vs. would-be flippers in whatever fashion such a system would require (contractual provisions?  Policing?)

I like Burrado's suggestion above -- approach the artist personally and explain the circumstances.  Zero expectations.

And understand that healthy skepticism is warranted here.  This is a business, not pro bono.  Flip the --script.  If you're asked to take a cut from your own salary (whether great or small), and moreover a systematic/regular cut... best believe it.

Plus if there's any substantial risk that your regular salary cut could be turned around for unscrupulous profit by the very individuals you sacrifice it for -- and requires you to police -- that's what's at play here.

And mind you, you're not being asked to take a regular salary cut to save lives or build schools.  It's so that someone(s) can get a crack at their own chance at ______ luxury good, whether high-end OA or a Hermes bag.  Utopian.

Edited by exitmusicblue

40 minutes ago, BuraddoRun said:

I understand the sentiment of wanting expensive art available to you as a fan VS investment. But ultimately, it's up to the artist. And some artists do exactly what you're asking. I believe the TMNT Last Ronin artist sold some pages through Facebook or something to fans at below FMV specifically because he wanted FANS to be able to own that art. And guess what? Some of those "fans" immediately flipped for profit.

But beyond that, never discount the personal nature of this hobby. If there is a specific artist you want something from, and their posted prices are too high, reach out to the artist directly. I recently contacted an artist about a specific page that I hadn't seen anywhere that I was interested in. It's about 20 years old. And guess what? He actually still had it! And he sold it to me for about $100 shipped. Probably below FMV, even though it's not some high demand page. Regardless, that was his price and he didn't gouge me even knowing I wanted that specific page. On the contrary, he thanked me for inquiring and dug the page out of wherever it had been sitting for 20ish years. I think he genuinely appreciated that I was a fan.

Just reach out to whatever artist directly and ask. Tell the truth, that you're a fan, you can't afford asking price, and you'd love to try to work something out that fits your budget. You never know, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Similarly, on the secondary market, you might find a seller who will sell to YOU affordably. When I started collecting, I was searching for an artist's work on a specific comic, and couldn't find any. Demand wasn't high or anything, it's just that the artwork had already made it to other collections, and no one was selling. I contacted the artist's agent and the art was all gone. Finally, I searched CAF and began contacting collectors who had art posted, not for sale, but just in their gallery. I found an international collector who was willing to sell to me. But even with the added expense of international shipping, I believe he gave me a very fair and affordable deal, again, probably below FMV. He even had a nice title splash page he was willing to sell me that he offered below FMV, that I declined in favor of getting more pages. And he held the pages I did want while I saved up for a month or 2 to buy.

In short, don't give up. What you think is unattainable may actually be attainable with some ingenuity and persistence, neither of which would compromise your integrity. And if something is truly unobtainable, it's OK. There's always more out there, and we can't always have everything we want.

Love every part of this. Its nice to hear of some artists doing pretty much what I was advocating for. I think that's really cool and speaks volumes about their character. I also never considered trying to contact an artist directly. Thats awesome you were able to score that piece! I would be humbled as an artist if someone was tracking down some of my older work, glad he cut you a break! Really appreciate the positivity and helpful advice man!

21 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

What you've thought up is fairly Utopian.  It's an extra burden on the artist/rep to vet non-flippers vs. would-be flippers in whatever fashion such a system would require (contractual provisions?  Policing?)

I like Burrado's suggestion above -- approach the artist personally and explain the circumstances.  Zero expectations.

And understand that healthy skepticism is warranted here.  This is a business, not pro bono.  Flip the ---script.  If you're asked to take a cut from your own salary (whether great or small), and moreover a systematic/regular cut... best believe it.

Plus if there's any substantial risk that your regular salary cut could be turned around for unscrupulous profit by the very individuals you sacrifice it for -- and requires you to police -- that's what's at play here.

And mind you, you're not being asked to take a regular salary cut to save lives or build schools.  It's so that someone(s) can get a crack at their own chance at ______ luxury good, whether high-end OA or a Hermes bag.  Utopian.

I hear you man. That why I said I'd understand if people think I'm being naive. I get it. I just think it'd be a nice thing to do for your fellow human/ fan/ collector. Would it create an extra burden? Sure. Would you sometimes be leaving money on the table? Definitely. Would I be ok with those things if the shoe were on the other foot? Yes. Do I expect every person/ artist/ intergalactic bounty hunter to feel the same? No. Is it a bit idealistic/ Utopian? Sure. That shouldn't stop anyone from considering ways it could work. History is chock full of utopian ideals that weren't pragmatic until someone figured out a way to implement them efficiently. Democracy, universal suffrage, minimum wages etc etc were all considered utopian/ idealistic, until people helped make them a reality. Is this on the same level of those things? Of course not, which is why its a more attainable utopian dream than most. All I'm asking for, if I'm even asking for anything, is that more artists consider how they can get their art into the hands of people that normally can't afford it. It'd a nice thing to do. Thats all. I'm not expecting them to, or demanding that they do so, it'd just be cool if they did. And if they already are, they have my admiration and respect, not that thats worth anything on the secondary market lol.

Wholeheartedly agree. I've been hounding Rolex, Rolls Royce, The Louvre and Musee D'Orsay about this exact thing for while! I'm a true fan of those items and they should really start some sort of program to get these goods to a few of us. All I want is a nice submariner and a Van Gogh or Monet. 

Funny how being an institution shields you from these judgements that are cavalierly thrown at individual artists. If you do this, you are a high "character" individual, if not, scumbag. Many artists do a ton of high quality free things for fans, already. As far as personal commissions or published pages, all these things are attainable just not instantly for all. 

Just now, jaykza said:

Wholeheartedly agree. I've been hounding Rolex, Rolls Royce, The Louvre and Musee D'Orsay about this exact thing for while! I'm a true fan of those items and they should really start some sort of program to get these goods to a few of us. All I want is a nice submariner and a Van Gogh or Monet. 

Funny how being an institution shields you from these judgements that are cavalierly thrown at individual artists. If you do this, you are a high "character" individual, if not, scumbag. Many artists do a ton of high quality free things for fans, already. As far as personal commissions or published pages, all these things are attainable just not instantly for all. 

Well, that's one way to construct a straw man argument. There's an ocean of difference between a Rolls and a piece of OA, and you know it. And I've been very clear this wasn't directed at a particular artist. It has very little, if anything, to do with Skottie. This thread just catalyzed some existing thoughts I've had on the subject. And I've made no insinuations as to the false moral dichotomy you setup between "character" and "scumbag". I never once denigrated an artist for charging FMV, I just said it would be a nice/ cool thing to do to try to ensure some equity of access. Any moral ascriptions you derive from that are entirely your own. And I'm perfectly aware there's alot of artists who do low/ no cost work and charity work. I commend them for that, and was simply advocating for more of the same. If you're ok with the artists who do this already, I don't know why you'd be opposed to me saying "thats great, more of that please". 

19 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

I hear you man. That why I said I'd understand if people think I'm being naive. I get it. I just think it'd be a nice thing to do for your fellow human/ fan/ collector. Would it create an extra burden? Sure. Would you sometimes be leaving money on the table? Definitely. Would I be ok with those things if the shoe were on the other foot? Yes. Do I expect every person/ artist/ intergalactic bounty hunter to feel the same? No. Is it a bit idealistic/ Utopian? Sure. That shouldn't stop anyone from considering ways it could work. History is chock full of utopian ideals that weren't pragmatic until someone figured out a way to implement them efficiently. Democracy, universal suffrage, minimum wages etc etc were all considered utopian/ idealistic, until people helped make them a reality. Is this on the same level of those things? Of course not, which is why its a more attainable utopian dream than most. All I'm asking for, if I'm even asking for anything, is that more artists consider how they can get their art into the hands of people that normally can't afford it. It'd a nice thing to do. Thats all. I'm not expecting them to, or demanding that they do so, it'd just be cool if they did. And if they already are, they have my admiration and respect, not that thats worth anything on the secondary market lol.

You're charitable in a way of your choosing.  Many reps/artists also are, in whatever way works for them.  Without wholesale change to their business models, ramifications for competition, etc. etc.

It's just not a good look for the potential recipient to suggest how the giver should be charitable about a luxury that isn't needed.  It goes beyond naivete. As someone who's volunteered for a NGO and has worked in education, continuing facepalm.

Dude -- "equity of access" and luxury items do not mix.  This isn't CSR or bizhumanrights! Aaaaarrrghhhh... I'm out.

Edited by exitmusicblue

2 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

You're charitable in a way of your choosing.  Many reps/artists also are, in whatever way works for them.  Without wholesale change to their business models.

It's just not a good look for the potential recipient to suggest how the giver should be charitable about a luxury that isn't needed.  It goes beyond naivete. As someone who's volunteered for a NGO and has worked in education, continuing facepalm.

Dude -- equity of access and luxury items do not mix.  Come on, for the love of....

Its fine my guy, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. Advocating for artists to offer a couple slots in their commission lists to low income earners is hardly a wholesale change to their business models. By your logic, it would be wrong for me to say "it'd be cool of X artist did a pro bono piece for cancer research". There's nothing wrong with that. Maybe they already do charity work, it doesn't make it somehow immoral to suggest they could do additonal/ alternative works. And it may be a luxury, but so is decent housing, a car, a retirement fund etc, just because its a luxury doesn't mean we can't think up ways to make those luxuries more available to a wider cross section of society. 

12 minutes ago, Complex306 said:

Its fine my guy, you're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. Advocating for artists to offer a couple slots in their commission lists to low income earners is hardly a wholesale change to their business models. By your logic, it would be wrong for me to say "it'd be cool of X artist did a pro bono piece for cancer research". There's nothing wrong with that. Maybe they already do charity work, it doesn't make it somehow immoral to suggest they could do additonal/ alternative works. And it may be a luxury, but so is decent housing, a car, a retirement fund etc, just because its a luxury doesn't mean we can't think up ways to make those luxuries more available to a wider cross section of society. 

I see no way to continue this conversation when high-end original art, not just any art, is being equated to housing or transportation or retirement.  Or low-income slots for high-end OA with cancer research.

"A couple slots in their commissions" won't offer any change at scale.  You'd have better luck with the lottery.

Happy trails...

Edited by exitmusicblue

I think I've said all I can say on the subject. I'm glad that its at least started a conversation, but its clear most of you disagree with my underlying notion, and that's ok. The market will continue as-is regardless, so there's not much of a point in me investing time in trying convince people of my position. Thanks to all who replied, especially those who did so in the spirit of being helpful and positive. I hope all of you (yes, even those I disagree with) have a great rest of your day and week. And I really do mean that, despite our respective differences I think most of you are decent people and deserve happiness in your lives, and I really hope its a good week for you.

1 hour ago, Complex306 said:

:foryou: You're right, it was late when I replied, and I was cranky.

For the record, as others have noted, I have endeavored to make art from the artists I rep attainable to all collectors, whenever possible. I will sell pieces for as low as $20. And that's not just from low profile artists, but from some of the highest. In a vacuum, that's not a great use of my time. But I do believe in spreading the joy.

For that matter, we give away art for FREE. Routinely.

Now, these opportunities are open to all, I don't police who is allowed to participate. But at least everyone has a chance.

What does annoy me is when people believe we OWE them art for discounted rates (or for free), because they're fans. I thought I was getting a whiff of that here. Otherwise, no real objection to how you feel. Thanks for clarifying.

If you were really hard up for money, (not you personally but in the general sense), and you had a $2,000 commission that you were able to get for $100, wouldn't it be fiscally irresponsible to not sell that to pay your bills or to save for a rainy day?

This thread reminds me of an experience at a comic book convention many years ago.  A dealer I knew had a young kid come up and look at an Ironman 1 in very high grade (raw pre-CGC).  He really wanted it but didn’t even have close to what the price was but it was the one book he wanted for personal collection that he would never part with.  The dealer let him have it for what the kid could afford and felt pretty good about helping out a young collector get what he wanted.  Fast forward a few minutes and another dealer shows him the Ironman 1 he just picked up for a great price.  Turns out the kid was working the whole room with the same BS story.

Another quick one.  Had a dealer friend from Albuquerque pissed at Jack Kirby for refusing to sign his FF1 when he ran in to him in an elevator.  He was mad because he could charge more for the book if it had Jack’s signature.

People always take advantage of other peoples kindness.  Doesn’t happen every time but often enough to make artist and dealers say “yeah, no”