• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skottie Young cover dump on his website
1 1

120 posts in this topic

Have seen too many variations of the same.  What got to me this time was all the flowery language and repeated references to equity, positivity, etc.  Rhetoric can be gross.

In the spirit of Festivus, save up your $$ for the good stuff like the rest of us.

17 hours ago, Complex306 said:

I think seeing this thread just catalyzed some long simmering class resentments I have from being poor my whole life and being priced out of alot of experiences and items due to my financial status. I have several degrees, a responsible and kind disposition, and a fairly adequate IQ/ work ethic, and yet I struggle to maintain the basics, nevermind being able to afford some inconsequential art piece because it distracts me from the sissiphean drudgery of my daily existence. I imagined others might feel the same, and would appreciate someone standing up and saying "can you make some of this more affordable to some of us poor bastards out here please?". I apologize if that is misdirected or comes across as whiny or entitled.

It's definitely entitled. Compare where you fall on this:

15-10-global-wealth-pyramid.png

to this:

wealth-per-adult-world-2019-world-5c46.jpg

and then be happy you don't live here:

Massive fire destroys nearly 500 thatched huts in Indian ...

7 hours ago, Complex306 said:

At the same time, people like me have dedicated their lives to serving others. I think it would be cool to cut them a break on occasion in recognition of those sacrifices.

Since we're in the business of giving the labor of others (artists) a discount here, how do you suggest we "rank" the various ways of "serving others"? I mean we'd have to do that, because even if Skottie (or whoever, take your pick) drew 2 days every week (so 15% of a 7 day week) for "free"...the number of drawings drawn - of the quality you're hoping for - would not be enough to meet the demand of the dedicated "to serving others". So we'd have to make a list and rank it. My suggestion: those that work FOR FREE are top of the list. Wanna guess what I earn "serving others"? And before you leap...yes, I do and some here, even though it's personal business that I won't make public, know it too.

Alas, you sir, with your wage and a proper FMV valuing of (and I'm suggesting to the IRS taxation of too) your 'benefits' would be...quite far down the list. It might even be, with Skottie (or whoever, take your pick) "giving away" 15% of a full week plus or 20% of a "five day work week"...the artist actually lands higher on said "list" than you! Then you'd have to do a comission for him (or her, or it, whatever passes for nomenclature "today" ;) ). I can well imagine a new RACE TO THE BOTTOM beginning...where everyone is trying to (ala Brewster's Millions) give away as much as they can in time, talent, and income/benefits to get higher on the FREE CHARITY COMMISSIONS LIST. Rock 'n Roll baby lol 

6 hours ago, Complex306 said:

Democracy, universal suffrage, minimum wages etc etc were all considered utopian/ idealistic, until people helped make them a reality.

It would be a mistake to assume that the reality you state is desirable to all. It is not.

You're an educator? I suggest self-educating beyond your own bias, try reading the other side for a change. My favorite suggestion for beginner's is Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. If you click the hyperlink, you can read the .pdf for FREE :) 

The whole ACEO concept started around affordable art.  But as one would expect, the sketch card thing started generating attention due to the quality of the art and the dollars.  But it may be the final frontier of getting affordable art from your favorite artists.

6 minutes ago, Will_K said:

But as one would expect, the sketch card thing started generating attention due to the quality of the art and the dollars. 

Capitalism just ruins everything :pullhair:

7 hours ago, Bill C said:

In the last few years or so there were at least a couple comic creators (writers and/or artists, IIRC) that went to the public looking for blatant handouts, citing hard times. These are people that I am pretty sure (strongly sure in one such case) have lots of valuable collectibles that could have been sold to make ends meet. But rather than do the responsible thing and start selling their non essential (collectible) possessions to survive, they just asked for free money from the fanboys. And why not? they got it, lol

That's definitely a pattern with low-level artists, (not an insult), in Facebook groups where they'd have a commission sale and market it with some horrible life tragedy and nearly every time you would see posts a few months later of people saying the artist ghosted them 

13 hours ago, Bill C said:

In the last few years or so there were at least a couple comic creators (writers and/or artists, IIRC) that went to the public looking for blatant handouts, citing hard times. These are people that I am pretty sure (strongly sure in one such case) have lots of valuable collectibles that could have been sold to make ends meet. But rather than do the responsible thing and start selling their non essential (collectible) possessions to survive, they just asked for free money from the fanboys. And why not? they got it, lol

My sister-in-law runs periodic grifts on Facebook.  Her last one was a GoFundMe she set up and advertised to people on Facebook to get money for a car so she could get to her new job.  She got enough for a down payment on the car but conveniently missed the whole job thing.  Car was repo’d.  She just got another car but this time she used her stimulus check.  I don’t think the car has been repo’d yet.

1 hour ago, Khazano said:

Im surprised no one has brought up this fact, as its the same one I tell numerous new collectors who get sad they dont have what I have, or feel they are being priced out... You're 20-30 years too late. This isnt society punishing you for being poor, you simply missed the boat. But that's okay, because there's always more boats docking.

That's about the most truth I've ever seen on this board in three sentences...ever. Impressed.

2 hours ago, Khazano said:

Im surprised no one has brought up this fact, as its the same one I tell numerous new collectors who get sad they dont have what I have, or feel they are being priced out... You're 20-30 years too late. This isnt society punishing you for being poor, you simply missed the boat. But that's okay, because there's always more boats docking. (At least, until everything goes digital...) 

Skottie has worked hard over 20 years to charge what he charges for commissions, he doesn't owe anyone a discount at this point. (Although, Ive always been under the impression he does the dice roll at cons to be a good guy?)   Heck, once upon a time Skotties covers could be bought for 400 a pop.  But this is a moot point because Skottie always has some covers you can buy from him for under >1k. And you can get cool published pages for under 300. Anyone with a little bit of discipline to do time payments, whether through the vendor or on credit,  can get in on his stuff still.  And tbh, this is still the case for most hot modern artists who came into the game during the 2000s+.  So. You know. Perhaps expectations need to be tempered, some hustle needs to be applied, and what you seek can still be attained...

Very salient points, similar to how I see things that are out of your grasp. As much as this market continues to rise, there are still a LOT of reasonably priced options out there to scratch the quality art itch. Hustle indeed - that's the prescription to cure this ailment. 

3 hours ago, Khazano said:

Im surprised no one has brought up this fact, as its the same one I tell numerous new collectors who get sad they dont have what I have, or feel they are being priced out... You're 20-30 years too late. This isnt society punishing you for being poor, you simply missed the boat. But that's okay, because there's always more boats docking. (At least, until everything goes digital...) 

Skottie has worked hard over 20 years to charge what he charges for commissions, he doesn't owe anyone a discount at this point. (Although, Ive always been under the impression he does the dice roll at cons to be a good guy?)   Heck, once upon a time Skotties covers could be bought for 400 a pop.  But this is a moot point because Skottie always has some covers you can buy from him for under >1k. And you can get cool published pages for under 300. Anyone with a little bit of discipline to do time payments, whether through the vendor or on credit,  can get in on his stuff still.  And tbh, this is still the case for most hot modern artists who came into the game during the 2000s+.  So. You know. Perhaps expectations need to be tempered, some hustle needs to be applied, and what you seek can still be attained...

This rings true.