• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,720 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2022 at 7:03 PM, Forbush-Man said:

How about I show 3 highlights now, some more later then. :wink:

Funny Pages Vol. 3 #3 listed as scarce in Overstreet.  This is the highest graded. Early appearance of The Arrow.

Funnypagesv3-3.jpg

Looks like you've got some truly HTF GA books coming up in this CL Auction, and as such, they should all do quite well.  :applause:  :wishluck:

Especially when it comes to these rare Centaurs like you Funny Pages which you very seldom ever see come to market.  Totally not surprising for your V3#3 issue since there's been a total of only 2 copies graded to date after two plus decades of certification.  :whatthe:

Being a baseball cover, this one should probably also do quite well if what David Alexander is saying in his Overstreet market report is actually accurate when he states that he sold a 0.5 copy of Funny Pages 11 with the baseball park cover for $2,200:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

fun4.80a.jpg

From my point of view though, there must be some kind of typo here in terms of this price point for such a low grade entry level copy.  Then again, you never really know and by now, I guess nothing should really surprise us anymore in this marketplace for rare or in-demand books.  hm  (shrug)

How's that for pimping your book for you, and I'll collect my commision fee at the end of the auction.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/13/2022 at 10:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like you've got some truly HTF GA books coming up in this CL Auction, and as such, they should all do quite well.  :applause:  :wishluck:

Especially when it comes to these rare Centaurs like you Funny Pages which you very seldom ever see come to market.  Totally not surprising for your V3#3 issue since there's been a total of only 2 copies graded to date after two plus decades of certification.  :whatthe:

Being a baseball cover, this one should probably also do quite well if what David Alexander is saying in his Overstreet market report is actually accurate when he states that he sold a 0.5 copy of Funny Pages 11 with the baseball park cover for $2,200:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

fun4.80a.jpg

From my point of view though, there must be some kind of typo here in terms of this price point for such a low grade entry level copy.  Then again, you never really know and by now, I guess nothing should really surprise us anymore in this marketplace for rare or in-demand books.  hm  (shrug)

How's that for pimping your book for you, and I'll collect my commision fee at the end of the auction.  lol

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I took a total of 158 comics, mostly Centaur and pre-Centaur comics, to Comiclink's booth at San Diego Comic Con.  Those books were taken to CGC's booth and dropped off for grading.  My CL rep believes we should start seeing them show back up at CL starting in October, and thereafter. Some might be later, but They'll all be coming to their auctions soon. (thumbsu

Edited by Forbush-Man

On 8/14/2022 at 9:21 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I've seen that cover dozens of times, and I never noticed the message on the chalkboard before.

(Did you get that from Quality Comix? I thought I saw that copy on their web site a while back.)

Oh yeah, it becomes a much more important book when you realize Ralph has a brain lol.

I bought it a few years ago and don't recall for sure, but it might have been them.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:08 AM, Forbush-Man said:

2nd Highest graded Black Knight #1 

BlackKnight#1.jpg

I want to note the label is missing the fact that this is the "Origin and first appearance of the Black Knight and the Crusader" which is noted on more recent submissions. 

On 8/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Those early Jumbo's are tough to find, but especially in anything above low grade.

Yes, they don't show up as much as they did back 20 years ago or more.  Back then you might find one at a large convention, if you got lucky. I haven't seen too many over-sized issues of any G.A. titles in a while.  BTW, 4 of the 5 copies I have are raw graded 2.5, the other one is 3.0.  They have excellent eye appeal for their grades and are sturdy with supple pages.  As with many scarce to rare books, being picky about condition takes a backseat to owning a copy at all. 

My strategy has always been "see something scarce to rare, grab it; If a better copy comes along later & you get it, you'll have NO problem spinning your lower copy off."

I've got friends I talk with regularly that tell me they were looking at the same books I bought and that they wished now that they had grabbed them while they could. They know they missed their chance. 

On 8/15/2022 at 10:11 AM, Forbush-Man said:
On 8/15/2022 at 9:45 AM, RareHighGrade said:

A Gerber "10," nice.  :applause:

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even think of that. :banana:

With these early Jumbo's and hopefully the large quantity of Centaurs (if accurate :wishluck:) that you were talking about in this upcoming CL Auction, it looks like you've got a lot of super rare books that we haven't really seen since the Berk Auction and also when Gator had to dispose of his entire Centaur collection.  hm  :luhv:

I think it's time for me to finally start paying some much closer attention to a CL Auction for once.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/15/2022 at 10:52 AM, lou_fine said:

With these early Jumbo's and hopefully the large quantity of Centaurs (if accurate :wishluck:) that you were talking about in this upcoming CL Auction, it looks like you've got a lot of super rare books that we haven't really seen since the Berk Auction and also when Gator had to dispose of his entire Centaur collection.  hm  :luhv:

I think it's time for me to finally start paying some much closer attention to a CL Auction for once.  (thumbsu

think that would be a very wise thing to do. Doesn't cost anything to look, and you won't want to miss something you don't see very often. Just FYI, I used to post here before 2014 as FUELMAN.  My old posts can be found under the new Forbush-man name in a search.  I was always chasing the more illusive titles in any grade possible; Catman's, Centaurs, pre-Centaurs, Fox Comics, Fiction House and many esoteric issues. Keeping a few for later, but the bulk of my collection will be up from now until say 4-5 months from now.  I have more going soon too, just pulling some to send to CGC on Comiclink's behalf.  But, YES you should keep a watch for the next 5 months for sure. :wink: