• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,671 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2024 at 8:10 PM, Bat-Hound said:

Wow,,,

Congratulations on your book!!

I still like your estimate!!

Not to many of these around even coverless or near complete. 
The front cover only missing a chunk sold for over 200K a while back! Incredible and probably worth it for long term investment. 

Yours should do well. It’s a great copy and much more affordable than a complete copy. So should have a considerably bigger buyer base competing for it.

On 5/4/2024 at 2:42 AM, Grendel72 said:

What a beauty ! Complete with a CF and a backcover. Feel CGC was harsh on the PQ. The pages don't look brittle at all. 

The big problem with this book is the spine unfortunately. Brittle edges at the top and some brittleness on other areas of the spine. The page quality is better and supple going away from the spine. The colours are pretty good going away from the spine, being somewhat off-white/white in most areas. 
CGC will classify brittle if noticed anywhere on a given book. 
I think slightly brittle is telling the book has some brittleness but not in whole?

On 5/4/2024 at 7:32 AM, Bat-Hound said:

The big problem with this book is the spine unfortunately. Brittle edges at the top and some brittleness on other areas of the spine. The page quality is better and supple going away from the spine. The colours are pretty good going away from the spine, being somewhat off-white/white in most areas. 
I think slightly brittle is telling the book has some brittleness but not in whole?

I think they'll do the same think with cream areas. This book has pages that were white or close to it except for some light tanning along the top edge, so the book came back cream-to-off-white. The pages are significantly nicer than those in other books that I've had come back as cream-to-off-white, but there's no way to tell that from looking at the slab or even the notes. It would be nice if the notes had a little more clarity on things like that. (I actually thought the tanning was light enough to get an off-white-to-white designation; I'm pretty sure I've had books with entire pages as dark as the tanned area come back off-white.)

0109232243591.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 5/4/2024 at 7:32 PM, Bat-Hound said:

Yes I think so too, But it would be good to have some precision such as stating brittleness on the spine such as your book where its localised (assuming CGC agrees with the assessment). Its also informative for any prospective buyer. I have seen some books where they have stated things like 'heavy damage to first 2 wraps'. Anyway, i think the aversion to brittle pages has cooled down a lot especially for mega keys such as yours. 

On 5/4/2024 at 7:57 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think they'll do the same think with cream areas. This book has pages that were white or close to it except for some light tanning along the top edge, so the book came back cream-to-off white. The pages are significantly nicer than those in other books that I've had come back as cream-to-off-white, but there's no way to tell that from looking at the slab or even the notes. It would be nice if the notes had a little more clarity on things like that. (I actually thought the tanning was light enough to get an off-white-to-white designation; I'm pretty sure I've had books with entire pages as dark as the tanned area come back off-white.)

0109232243591.jpg

Same thing here with Startling #49, I expected page quality to be at least off-white but it came back as cream to off-white.

Startling 49 centerfold.jpeg

Startling 49 inside bc.jpeg

Startling 49 inside fc.jpeg

Startling-c.jpeg

Startling-d.jpeg

Startling Comics 49 CGC 4.0.jpg

What they need is a "Light Cream/White" designation. That's exactly what many Dell and Harvey file copies have. They should stop shoving square pegs in round holes, and create designations that fit the reality, rather than trying to force reality into what's handy. One press release and some tweaking to the software and voila, we have a process of continual improvement. GOD BLESS ...

-jimb0(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/4/2024 at 6:04 AM, Grendel72 said:

Yes I think so too, But it would be good to have some precision such as stating brittleness on the spine such as your book where its localised (assuming CGC agrees with the assessment). Its also informative for any prospective buyer. I have seen some books where they have stated things like 'heavy damage to first 2 wraps'. Anyway, i think the aversion to brittle pages has cooled down a lot especially for mega keys such as yours. 

I agree, with mega keys less of an issue now than years ago when it comes to brittle, and moreso slightly brittle. Considering the lack of availability with Action 1’s and Tec 27’s that come to market, I mean it’s really not that often, and especially more “affordable” copies like this. I think even if one comes along with any form of brittle pages you just take what you can get. I see where the slightly brittle designation came from with his photos, but they’re nicer than I expected them to be. 

Edited by LDarkseid1