• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,652 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2023 at 6:53 PM, lpsunburst said:

I think if you already have a coverless copy, you will pay whatever it takes to get that cover. You would make back your investment many times over with a married complete book.

I don't know about that. Working it out as I write this I first ask how much would a complete unrestored coverless copy in say average condition with C/OW to OW/White sell for at the moment? I don't have any way to figure that. If anyone does please do tell.

Let's say for the sake of this topic 500,000 clams, by clams I mean smackeroos, for a nice one. Add to that 235K for this cover. Would a mid grade qualified with covers from two different books sell for at least 700k? There is only one green label out there and I see no sales for it. I could be wrong but I just don't see how putting these covers from different books on a coverless copy and creating a detached cover green label copy and paying just about 240K for it could be that profitable. 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, szav said:

Phantom Ladies continue their hot streak even on CLink.  Also... this auction actually had some pretty nice GA in it, lot of high grade and more than a few infrequently seen books.

image.png.cad4d411b041037711ae71e42293ff14.png

That definitely seemed solid.

On 11/29/2023 at 11:05 PM, szav said:

Phantom Ladies continue their hot streak even on CLink.  Also... this auction actually had some pretty nice GA in it, lot of high grade and more than a few infrequently seen books.

Yeah it had some neat books. Well it still does. Some books that you rarely see in these grades

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-30_012311_www.comiclink.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-30_012831_www.comiclink.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-30_013409_www.comiclink.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-30_013544_www.comiclink.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-30_013943_www.comiclink.com.png

Edited by Professor K
Suspense 11 added

On 11/29/2023 at 10:44 PM, Professor K said:

I don't know about that. Working it out as I write this I first ask how much would a complete unrestored coverless copy in say average condition with C/OW to OW/White sell for at the moment? I don't have any way to figure that. If anyone does please do tell.

Let's say for the sake of this topic 500,000 clams, by clams I mean smackeroos, for a nice one. Add to that 235K for this cover. Would a mid grade qualified with covers from two different books sell for at least 700k? There is only one green label out there and I see no sales for it. I could be wrong but I just don't see how putting these covers from different books on a coverless copy and creating a detached cover green label copy and paying just about 240K for it could be that profitable. 

The last 4.5 to sell was about 1.2m so a green label 4.5 would likely bring at least half I would think. It could also be restored and potentially get an EP purple label, and given that cover probably get to a 7.5 with work. It will bring all the money.

On 11/30/2023 at 11:55 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Tough hit on this one. After fees on the sale and if you paid sales tax on the initial Heritage purchase, about a $40K loss.

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

Par for the course on Promise books.  If the seller was hoping for a different outcome by reselling on Clink as opposed to Heritage, they just got slapped in the face by reality.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:55 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Tough hit on this one. After fees on the sale and if you paid sales tax on the initial Heritage purchase, about a $40K loss.

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

I can't believe no one hit that Make Offer to Owner button.  (shrug) 

On 11/30/2023 at 6:59 AM, tth2 said:

Par for the course on Promise books.  If the seller was hoping for a different outcome by reselling on Clink as opposed to Heritage, they just got slapped in the face by reality.

Well I don’t think c-link was the culprit though. Pretty sure time and again we’ve seen massive drops on Promise books no matter where they were listed, Heritage or Comicconnect, etc… Since they were put at auction initially at the right time and people ended up paying high for all of them. Now with the down market we’ve had for a while, just about any promise book is taking a hefty hit. But I guess it’s possible it could have been a slightly lesser impact in a Heritage auction. If I bought a Promise copy of something back in 2021, I’d probably just sit and hold on for dear life haha.

Everyone knows Comiclink was "not the culprit". The collection came at the perfect time and HA did a good job with the hype. A good majority of the books, I would say especially the Bat books just sold much too high the first time out. The subsequent sales prices of most of them shouldn't be a surprise at all, not that anyone here is surprised. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:37 AM, lpsunburst said:

The last 4.5 to sell was about 1.2m so a green label 4.5 would likely bring at least half I would think. It could also be restored and potentially get an EP purple label, and given that cover probably get to a 7.5 with work. It will bring all the money.

Hey there mister! I agree a Green label 4.5 complete probably would sell for about 500k. I doubt any more than that, especially with detached covers. 

Have you looked at sales of recent restored copies? 7.5 A-3 9/22/22 350K, a beautiful  7.0 A-1 9/11/22 384k, and a 7.0 A-5 which compared to the previous two sold too high at 336k on 11/21/21.

No big deal but I think you and I just aren't going to agree on whether or not spending 235k on a front and back cover from 2 different books with the intention of creating a mid grade Green label detached covers copy would be profitable. 

Side note I think whoever grabbed the 7.0 A-1 last year got a really nice book for a really nice price. 

lf.jpg

Opera Snapshot_2023-11-30_122419_comics.ha.com.png

Edited by Professor K
complete added

Just a couple of thoughts to add:

I don't think combining the cover with a coverless would grade as high as a green 4.5.  Think what a blue label grade a book would get due to a complete spine split / detached cover, and then put it in a green label since it would be a married cover, so probably something under 2.0 in green label.

With that said, while it might only get <2.0 green if married, I suspect all Tec 27 values have increased in 2023, given some of recent Action 1 sales (such as the 0.5 and the page 1), and given the sale price of this cover only, so maybe it would still be worth 500K as a green <2.0?

On 11/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Let’s face it whomever initially bid up those Promise books like crazy must of came in to some serious power ball type money. But that doesn’t explain why so many have been relisted so soon ((unless they spent all their cash). 

Crypto crashed