• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,652 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, Superman2006 said:

Just a couple of thoughts to add:

I don't think combining the cover with a coverless would grade as high as a green 4.5.  Think what a blue label grade a book would get due to a complete spine split / detached cover, and then put it in a green label since it would be a married cover, so probably something under 2.0 in green label.

With that said, while it might only get <2.0 green if married, I suspect all Tec 27 values have increased in 2023, given some of recent Action 1 sales (such as the 0.5 and the page 1), and given the sale price of this cover only, so maybe it would still be worth 500K as a green <2.0?

Yeah. To be clear I'm not implying the lucky high bidder paid too much. Either way it's a good investment like you said. It's a freaking Tec 27 for Pete's Sake. 

As someone who knows absolutely nothing about sales in the $100K+ world... just intuitively, $200K and change doesn't seem completely outrageous even if the cover never marries to an interior. The Tec #27 cover is one of the most iconic Batman images ever, arguably THE most iconic. I'm sure there's plenty of high rollers who would be happy to enjoy it and display it as is, and would much prefer it to e.g. a coverless copy. And it's not like if you let this cover go, you can just grab another one next month. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:42 AM, COMICLINK said:

The drop of the Promise books are definitely a universal phenomenon

The Detective 118 Promise (published 12/1946) with a Joker cover by Sprang is the single highest graded

ComicLink sale yesterday, 11/29/23: $50,500, 60% of the original sale at $84,000 in 2021 

Not unique to any auction house, as LDarkseid1 said. Proof positive is this close "comp" also sold this month but at Heritage.

Batman 37 Promise (published 10-11/1946), also single highest graded, but the Joker cover is by Jerry Robinson.

Heritage sale 11/16/2023: $48,000, 55% of the original sale at $87,000 in 2021.

Personally, I prefer the Batman #37 cover by Robinson.  I think he is the best Joker artist and that is one of my all-time favorite Batman covers.

However, I think both 2nd round buyers (if they are not the same guy) are very lucky to be able to own each of these.   

BATMAN37PROMISE.jpg

Good points 👍

On 11/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, Superman2006 said:

Just a couple of thoughts to add:

I don't think combining the cover with a coverless would grade as high as a green 4.5.  Think what a blue label grade a book would get due to a complete spine split / detached cover, and then put it in a green label since it would be a married cover, so probably something under 2.0 in green label.

With that said, while it might only get <2.0 green if married, I suspect all Tec 27 values have increased in 2023, given some of recent Action 1 sales (such as the 0.5 and the page 1), and given the sale price of this cover only, so maybe it would still be worth 500K as a green <2.0?

Certainly as much as the 0.5 action 1 that sold.   400k ish   to 500k  

On 11/30/2023 at 11:39 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well I don’t think c-link was the culprit though. Pretty sure time and again we’ve seen massive drops on Promise books no matter where they were listed, Heritage or Comicconnect, etc… Since they were put at auction initially at the right time and people ended up paying high for all of them. Now with the down market we’ve had for a while, just about any promise book is taking a hefty hit. But I guess it’s possible it could have been a slightly lesser impact in a Heritage auction. If I bought a Promise copy of something back in 2021, I’d probably just sit and hold on for dear life haha.

I'm not blaming Clink at all.  I'm just saying that to the extent the reseller was hoping that the track record of poor resale prices was a Heritage thing, now they know it's a Promise thing.

On 11/30/2023 at 6:19 PM, tth2 said:

I'm not blaming Clink at all.  I'm just saying that to the extent the reseller was hoping that the track record of poor resale prices was a Heritage thing, now they know it's a Promise thing.

Oh yeah without a doubt. I think we’ve seen enough sales to know the Promise books previously sold on the high end, or just during the comic boom.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:49 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Does this seem cheap for a nice mid grade copy of an early pre-Robin Tec book?

Hey there SS. The 32 right? I thought it would go a little higher,like 8 or 9k. Mostly considering what this stunning 8.5 A-2 that I had my eyes on went for in June. It was a nice 5.0. If the 5.0 had hit 10k I would not have been too surprised. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-12-01_115813_comics.ha.com.png

Here's a nice copy of Adventures into Unknown 27 that was designated "Single Highest Graded!" by ComicLink. Perhaps they meant single highest graded for the signature series but I think most would assume it's actually the single highest graded copy of this book, which is way off. There are actually about 20 total copies higher. The actual highest graded is a 9.4.

The second photo shows CLink's listing for True-To-Life Romances 11. The title states "One of only 4 graded by CGC". Oddly, the description states "Only 11 copies have ever been certified by CGC". The census shows there are actually 13 copies graded. 

These auction companies can be sloppy with their descriptions, so it's always best to do your own homework...

comiclink.jpeg

BFD84E3E-4A97-452F-87B0-3A4F8B1BED89_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by thewritestuff

On 11/30/2023 at 7:39 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Well I don’t think c-link was the culprit though. Pretty sure time and again we’ve seen massive drops on Promise books no matter where they were listed, Heritage or Comicconnect, etc… Since they were put at auction initially at the right time and people ended up paying high for all of them. Now with the down market we’ve had for a while, just about any promise book is taking a hefty hit. But I guess it’s possible it could have been a slightly lesser impact in a Heritage auction. If I bought a Promise copy of something back in 2021, I’d probably just sit and hold on for dear life haha.

I have been hoping to score a cheap to reasonable Promise book during the current “downturn” but no luck even on an unpopular title. I just want to have an example in my collection of this historic pedigree. I think you are right that most of the original purchasers are just sitting on them for now.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:33 AM, Robot Man said:

I have been hoping to score a cheap to reasonable Promise book during the current “downturn” but no luck even on an unpopular title. I just want to have an example in my collection of this historic pedigree. I think you are right that most of the original purchasers are just sitting on them for now.

I feel the same way now, although I was bummed that I was outbid on every Promise book at the time, but I now see that as a blessing in disguise. 

On 12/2/2023 at 7:36 AM, thewritestuff said:

I feel the same way now, although I was bummed that I was outbid on every Promise book at the time, but I now see that as a blessing in disguise. 

I didn’t even try at the time because I saw the writing on the wall in the first auction. I knew it would trickle down to all of them and I was right.

So, I will bide my time. There has to be a carpy Famous Funnies or western in my future…:roflmao:

On 11/30/2023 at 9:30 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh yeah without a doubt. I think we’ve seen enough sales to know the Promise books previously sold on the high end, or just during the comic boom.

the Promise books previously sold on the high end, or just during the comic boom.

you mean sold on the completely insane end !!!!!!!!  No way those prices reflected anything in reality then or now ..........

On 12/1/2023 at 5:02 PM, Professor K said:

Hey there SS. The 32 right? I thought it would go a little higher,like 8 or 9k. Mostly considering what this stunning 8.5 A-2 that I had my eyes on went for in June. It was a nice 5.0. If the 5.0 had hit 10k I would not have been too surprised. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-12-01_115813_comics.ha.com.png

the 5.0 had brittle pages. Nuff said.