• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,670 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 2:20 AM, Professor Chaos said:
On 8/18/2021 at 11:10 PM, comicnoir said:

I am confused. This is in the latest CLink auction. A blue label book with a top edge trim. Someone please explain.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1506197

Yeah that is unusual. I can't explain. 

On 8/19/2021 at 9:20 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I certainly think it needs to affect the grade and be noted on the BLUE  label.

This is the part that I don't understand with this particular book here, as it already has a detached centerfold as clearly stated on the label, and that alone is enough to bring the grade down to a CGC 7.0 range for virtually all other slabs that I have seen with this designation.  ???

So, was this an error or did they simply decide not to bother to take the impact of the trimming into account when it came time to assign the final grade for this particular book here?  hm  (shrug)

On 8/20/2021 at 12:13 AM, lou_fine said:

This is the part that I don't understand with this particular book here, as it already has a detached centerfold as clearly stated on the label, and that alone is enough to bring the grade down to a CGC 7.0 range for virtually all other slabs that I have seen with this designation.  ???

So, was this an error or did they simply decide not to bother to take the impact of the trimming into account when it came time to assign the final grade for this particular book here?  hm  (shrug)

And the grade should be Apparent if they give it such a high number.

I don't know. By actually putting the word Trimmed on the label they are acknowledging that they are aware of it. I always thought any trimming at all is an automatic Purple but I just looked at the cgc website page for both Blue and Purple grading scales and I didn't see the word trimmed on either. 

I see what you mean. If the detached should have brought it down to a 7.0 regardles of anything else then yes that would mean the trimmed edge didn't affect the grade.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:46 AM, comicnoir said:

Why is that? I think I see what you mean. If they didn't consider the trimming into the grade then the label should have been Purple. 

Edited by Professor Chaos

On 8/19/2021 at 9:40 PM, comicjack said:

Heritage has a 4.0 copy this month which should be interesting to watch.I have collected skull covers for sometime and still one of the best out there 

Yep. 25,000 with 18 days to go. I know its a cool cover and rare but wow 25k. Same book went for 7,500 four years ago.

On 8/21/2021 at 3:04 AM, Professor Chaos said:

Yep. 25,000 with 18 days to go. I know its a cool cover and rare but wow 25k. Same book went for 7,500 four years ago.

Just look what a whole new world is like after a year.The lack of a sale in four years and the liquid cash around has changed the game.The hobby will never be the same for the little guy trying to put a collection together :cry:

On 8/21/2021 at 6:57 AM, comicjack said:

Just look what a whole new world is like after a year.The lack of a sale in four years and the liquid cash around has changed the game.The hobby will never be the same for the little guy trying to put a collection together :cry:

You said it. Whole new world in the collectable hobby/pastime. Well now I suppose business would be a more apt term for a lot of these people now.  I'm a little guy who some years back I decided to sell my several thousand raw Silver/Bronze books and make a graded set of all the key issues of those eras. I almost finished what I set out to accomplish then BANG/ZOOM things got crazy. 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:46 AM, comicnoir said:

On 8/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, Professor Chaos said:

Why is that? I think I see what you mean. If they didn't consider the trimming into the grade then the label should have been Purple. 

CGC's practice of allowing submitters to "elect" a blue label for books that would otherwise receive a green label was already controversial, so hopefully we are talking about an error on CGC's part.  Otherwise, is CGC extending this practice to restored books (including the trimmed ones)?   But in that case, the book in question should have received a much lower grade than 7.0 due to the trimming, i.e., a blue grade that would fetch a valuation that would approximate the value of the book had it received a purple label in the normal course?  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, Pantodude said:

CGC's practice of allowing submitters to "elect" a blue label for books that would otherwise receive a green label was already controversial, so hopefully we are talking about an error on CGC's part. 

I've always thought that the CGC green Qualified label was normally given at the discretion of CGC, as opposed to being elected by the submitter. (shrug)

Especially in the case of HG books with just something like a missing coupon where a blue universal grade of CGC 0.5 would be virtually useless in terms of providing any useful information as to the actual condition of the underlying book.  I would definitely find a Qualified grade of 8.0 for a nicely presenting GA book with a missing coupon to allow me to make a much more informed bidding decision, as opposed to a CGC 0.5 grade for this so-called "Incomplete" book which is also the same grade that would be given to a totally beaten to death POS condition graded book that you could barely read.  hm

On 8/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, lou_fine said:

I've always thought that the CGC green Qualified label was normally given at the discretion of CGC, as opposed to being elected by the submitter. (shrug)

Especially in the case of HG books with just something like a missing coupon where a blue universal grade of CGC 0.5 would be virtually useless in terms of providing any useful information as to the actual condition of the underlying book.  I would definitely find a Qualified grade of 8.0 for a nicely presenting GA book with a missing coupon to allow me to make a much more informed bidding decision, as opposed to a CGC 0.5 grade for this so-called "Incomplete" book which is also the same grade that would be given to a totally beaten to death POS condition graded book that you could barely read.  hm

I see nothing wrong with the practice of allowing the customer to select the label between blue and green because in actuality it is both 

On 8/25/2021 at 8:46 AM, sagii said:

That glitch last night cost me a sweeeet snipe :pullhair:

..oh well

Onward!

Did you get it?  Picked up the A-Man for a pretty good price given the sales prices of everything else. Have a much lower grade raw so I was happy to add to my run. Generally a sad glitch for CL but the fix was pretty seem less from my perspective. Sad I fell asleep before the Tecs came up for sale but truthfully not sure if I could abide with the spine split on the 25. 

On 8/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, ThothAmon said:

Did you get it?  Picked up the A-Man for a pretty good price given the sales prices of everything else. Have a much lower grade raw so I was happy to add to my run. Generally a sad glitch for CL but the fix was pretty seem less from my perspective. Sad I fell asleep before the Tecs came up for sale but truthfully not sure if I could abide with the spine split on the 25. 

Nope, the freeze literally came in about under 2 minutes before the lot I wanted was about to close,, I was limbering my fingers and then it happened, and when it reset the top snipe bid previous to what I was going to bid was revealed. I was going to bid higher by $100.

Then the extra time added on drove it way past what I wanted into it given what's coming down the pike (and I intend to go to the mat for now that this is out of the equation).

It was a Centaur also, AMF 21, probably won't see another for a long time.

Congrats on the pick up sir! :applause: