• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,647 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Everyone's gotta MANNUP on your bids! This is not for the faint of heart lol

For  me, it's either MANNUP :sumo: or just plain stupidity :screwy: because there's something I really want, that will be very expensive for me. I told my wife that since our oldest is graduating college this year, this comic is a no-brainer acquisition. Her response: :facepalm:

Possibly.. I think most bidders will be focused on the Promise Collection so I doubt there would be any "deals" at all in the HA Signature Auction.  I expect bidding to be fierce right off the start and of course towards the final minutes. So, unless you have armor on from head to toe with a huge amount of cash ammo to spend, then you may have a chance at winning a lot or two.

I think your best bet if you want to win something for a "decent price," which I don't even know what decent means anymore lol (previous auctions have shown strong prices this year) would be this current CL auction or the CC auction.  Everyone should just throw away any guide or price you have set out the window. 

4 hours ago, JimButlerGA said:

It’s a feature, not a bug. They force you to bid in order to be able to create a watched or tracked list. I try to be on the CL site as close to the start of an auction (always 8pm) as I can to be able to make the lowest bids possible and create my list.

And since they don't report sales to GPA, it's the only way to track sales from that venue.

5 hours ago, JimButlerGA said:

It’s a feature, not a bug. They force you to bid in order to be able to create a watched or tracked list. I try to be on the CL site as close to the start of an auction (always 8pm) as I can to be able to make the lowest bids possible and create my list.

That's basically what I do too.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

With the “Promise Collection” coming up soon, anybody think there might be any deals available the the “other” auction houses auctions? 

$160k for a 4.0 Bat 1 with brittle pages ain't no deal, especially with 3 days left

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

$160k for a 4.0 Bat 1 with brittle pages ain't no deal, especially with 3 days left

Considering a 5.0 sold for $350K (2 copies, actually, as I sold a copy for that amount after the copy sold for $350K on Heritage) and a CGC 3.0 sold for $192K in the same Heritage auction, I full expect this copy to sell for well over $160K. The market seems to be set for this book at a new baseline.

7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Considering a 5.0 sold for $350K (2 copies, actually, as I sold a copy for that amount after the copy sold for $350K on Heritage) and a CGC 3.0 sold for $192K in the same Heritage auction, I full expect this copy to sell for well over $160K. The market seems to be set for this book at a new baseline.

To me, any book with brittle pages is a 0.5/Poor. I've never understood some collectors' willingness to buy books with brittle pages.

5 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

To me, any book with brittle pages is a 0.5/Poor. I've never understood some collectors' willingness to buy books with brittle pages.

Depends on the book.  If it's my only option, I'll take it.  Also, people find different things acceptable.  Also also, I've held books designated brittle that weren't actually brittle.

24 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Depends on the book.  If it's my only option, I'll take it.  Also, people find different things acceptable.  Also also, I've held books designated brittle that weren't actually brittle.

I've only owned one brittle book—a random issue of Magic Comics. It looked good in the polybag, but when I opened it, the pages were crumbling in my hands. That was over thirty years ago; since then I've avoided brittle pages like the plague.

5 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:

My only slabbed brittle booked was designated slightly brittle and I bought it (here in the boards) because the seller took pics of the pages before he submitted it to CGC. They didn’t appear brittle at all. Plus, it was a book that I REALLY wanted and at a great price. 

On 5/22/2021 at 3:26 PM, VintageComics said:

Already at $200k. Looking like the people that got the 5.0’s for $350k non brittle certainly should be happy. 

1 hour ago, szav said:

To be fair it’s technically ‘slightly brittle’ but people keep saying ‘brittle.’

Now I’ll be the first to say it’s either brittle or it’s not, saying slightly brittle seems like saying slightly dead (cue the princess bride memes).

According to what Ive been told SB pages typically indicate splitting at the spine/separation from the cover and isn’t the same as pieces flaking off at the slightest touch. I’m not sure if SB means brittle, or weak at the spine only, and ok otherwise or what exactly though.

In all my years, this post is the first to comprehensively explain this designation. (thumbsu