• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,650 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Holy Toledo, Chicago Boy! I am shocked that they would assign a grade to a comic book that was missing two wraps. Now, if a book had a clipped coupon or something, OK. But two wraps????

It's the most that I can recall ever seeing personally. Usually I see a 0.5 that's a coupon as you mentioned, 1 page, and the front or back cover 

On 8/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, bronze johnny said:

If trimming isn’t restoration, and if my recollection is correct, then why was Ewert banned from submitting books?

The intent for trimming is to improve a book’s cosmetic look. 

Because he did that good of a job.  one has nothing to do with the other IMO.  CGC needs to pick up on it.  downgrade it. and put that its been trimmed on the blue label

On 8/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, Timely said:

I can't say as to who Overstreet took their definitions from. I can tell you trimming, on it's own, is not part of any restoration process.

I suspect the technical terms and definitions presented in Overstreet have been crafted and refined over the course of the publications 50+ years through a deliberative, consensus standards process involving Overstreet principals and advisors; the ranks of which were comprised of collectors, dealers, and historians with many different backgrounds and walks of life.

Perhaps it's time for Overstreet to reevaluated certain terms and definitions in the Guide, much the way they did in 2006 when the restoration definition itself was readdressed with collective input from advisors and the hobby at large.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:54 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Because he did that good of a job.  one has nothing to do with the other IMO.  CGC needs to pick up on it.  downgrade it. and put that its been trimmed on the blue label

So being too good at something gets you banned?

On 8/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Well, would you let a customer who makes almost undetectable counterfeit bills shop at your store ?  I wouldn't......

But you’d let a customer who passes detectable counterfeit bills shop in your store?

On 8/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Holy Toledo, Chicago Boy! I am shocked that they would assign a grade to a comic book that was missing two wraps. Now, if a book had a clipped coupon or something, OK. But two wraps????

On 8/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, Chicago Boy said:

It's the most that I can recall ever seeing personally. Usually I see a 0.5 that's a coupon as you mentioned, 1 page, and the front or back cover 

How about this one? Used to be my book. 3.5 wraps missing?

BFFAA5FD-7F23-44B2-8472-4C53905E438F.jpeg

On 8/19/2021 at 7:14 PM, Spyder! said:

How about this one? Used to be my book. 3.5 wraps missing?

BFFAA5FD-7F23-44B2-8472-4C53905E438F.jpeg

Now that is a mess of a label.  Would be an interesting niche to collect.  Train wreck labels of awesome books.  If there’s a wtf is that Frankenstein book, but it’s like totally awesome Hall of Fame, it makes the cut along with the Punch below.  There’s also the conspicuous UK or Canadian label.  Like the 7.0 AF 15 for 9 pence in the HA auction coming up, albeit I suppose that makes it a different book altogether.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:09 PM, comicjack said:

All about the cover but what a cover like the Suspense 3 great shock value !

Agreed, I love that cover.  And it rarely looks that good. I think there’s a 8.0 with a cover that looks equal or better.  I’d say too bad the rest of the book is such a wreck.  But truthfully, some folks had to go to a lot of trouble to make something of it, and it’s brought me joy.  to restore a book to that level, if we can even call that restoration, required some serious tlc, imagination, and care.  I could swing a different copy, but I’d never pull off an unrestored copy with that pretty of a cover.  Not only are they not available, but they’re ultra rare.  I think there’s one collector with most of the hoard.  

...I know there’s a 4.0 in the Heritage auction, but that’s like a 8.0 cover attached to whatever the rest of the hot mess is (referring to the purple label here).  I could swing the 4.0, but if a 8.0 ever came along, no way on God’s green Earth I’d end up with it.  It’s funny, to choose to do that with a book, it could almost only be a handful of covers.  Most highly desired books that are way incomplete, you might find the cover alone waiting to be attached to the book.  In this case, nobody’s about to find a complete coverless Punch 12, or at least it’s highly unlikely.  

Edited by eschnit

On 8/19/2021 at 9:26 PM, eschnit said:

Agreed, I love that cover.  And it rarely looks that good. I think there’s a 8.0 with a cover that looks equal or better.  I’d say too bad the rest of the book is such a wreck.  But truthfully, some folks had to go to a lot of trouble to make something of it, and it’s brought me joy.  to restore a book to that level, if we can even call that restoration, required some serious tlc, imagination, and care.  I could swing a different copy, but I’d never pull off an unrestored copy with that pretty of a cover.  Not only are they not available, but they’re ultra rare.  I think there’s one collector with most of the hoard.  

Heritage has a 4.0 copy this month which should be interesting to watch.I have collected skull covers for sometime and still one of the best out there 

On 8/19/2021 at 8:40 PM, comicjack said:

Heritage has a 4.0 copy this month which should be interesting to watch.I have collected skull covers for sometime and still one of the best out there 

Yeah, the Heritage auction is loaded to bear.  Is there a skull cover you think is it’s equal or better?  Given it’s a niche you collect.

Edited by eschnit

On 8/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, eschnit said:

Yeah, r Heritage auction is loaded to bear.  Is there a skull cover you think is it’s equal or better?  Given it’s a niche you collect.

There is but it is a pulp cover but if it was a comic cover i'm sure it would be in big demand