• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

Just got the last button I needed to complete the GA Fawcett pinback set. I already had a set but when I ran across this Capt. Marvel beanie, I decided to complete a second set. The last couple of that 10 button set took longer than I thought it would. 

1C5FAD49-A190-4743-8AB0-D7010CFB0F9D.jpeg

18274354-F9D4-4E6E-A6AE-E4BC328328DE.jpeg

Man, so much can change in 2-3 years. The market for these got hot and prices went up. How do we rename threads? I'd change this to Fawcett Comics Appreciation thread.

I didn't buy much at all since the last time I poked my head out, I got most of the ones I wanted and the ones I don't have are too expensive to my liking. BUT I did find this on ebay recently for 70$. Obviously, not in great shape, but it's complete and the colours are vibrant and I didn't have to pay hundreds just to have one in my collection.

20230427_172049.jpg

On 4/28/2023 at 8:30 AM, William-James88 said:

Man, so much can change in 2-3 years. The market for these got hot and prices went up. How do we rename threads? I'd change this to Fawcett Comics Appreciation thread.

I didn't buy much at all since the last time I poked my head out, I got most of the ones I wanted and the ones I don't have are too expensive to my liking. BUT I did find this on ebay recently for 70$. Obviously, not in great shape, but it's complete and the colours are vibrant and I didn't have to pay hundreds just to have one in my collection.

20230427_172049.jpg

"The market for these got hot and prices went up." I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't seen any Fawcetts fetching strong prices at auction. You can't go by dealers' asking prices; those don't mean anything.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:34 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

"The market for these got hot and prices went up." I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't seen any Fawcetts fetching strong prices at auction. You can't go by dealers' asking prices; those don't mean anything.

It won't be strong compared to other books, but compared to prices on the same books before, yes. You could usually buy them for below guide, like 20-30% below guide, aside from keys (which is where the title of this thread comes from). But now lots are going for above guide. Like this recent auction, where the lot went for 25% above guide.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-marvel-adventures-50-59-and-67-group-fawcett-publications-1945-46-total-3-/a/122318-11047.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

Same thing with this one random comic:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whiz-comics-49-fawcett-publications-1943-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages-captain-marvel-cover-and-art-by-c-c-beck/a/122318-11286.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-MyBids-101116

And this lot went for 50% over guide for FR-GD copies

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-marvel-adventures-group-of-13-fawcett-publications-1944-53-condition-average-gd-total-13-comic-books-/a/122236-11183.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by William-James88

On 5/2/2023 at 12:30 AM, William-James88 said:

OK, I see what you mean—but much of that increase is probably just inflation, which probably hasn't been reflected in Overstreet yet. The next edition will probably have large increases across the board to account for the inflation that occurred doing COVID.

They are still very cheap compared to books from the other major publishers.

And I love this under appreciated Ibis. A fat 68 page issue from 1943. I think this ran me about $60. A couple years ago.

With exceptions of course, a lot of the “men in tights” Fawcetts are at best kind of dopey. Some of the other off titles are much better cover to cover and still dirt cheap.

IMG_7222.jpeg

On 8/29/2023 at 11:17 PM, Robot Man said:

And I love this under appreciated Ibis. A fat 68 page issue from 1943. I think this ran me about $60. A couple years ago.

With exceptions of course, a lot of the “men in tights” Fawcetts are at best kind of dopey. Some of the other off titles are much better cover to cover and still dirt cheap.

IMG_7222.jpeg

Cool book and didn't he end up appearing in Super Friends or was that some woman Fawcett sorceress I am thinking about. There was something like that from DC in the seventies.

On 8/29/2023 at 10:57 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Oh I am thinking of Isis who actually started as a television feature on the Shazam show; clearly they ripped off Ibis!!

I think the Ancient Egyptians were singing the praises of Isis long before both shows.  lol. I remember watching that show.  Science teacher-turned-goddess.  "Oh mighty Isis".  There's a video of the intro to the show on YouTube that brought back some memories.  Almost as good, I have the first issue of the comic book. :D