• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2022 at 7:08 AM, Straw-Man said:

this one i managed the upgrade on...

master25.jpg

I remember when Clink auctioned the Church copy of this.  Still wish I'd had the wherewithal to step up and grab it.  Your copy looks very close to that with bright colors and luster.  Very tough book!  (thumbsu

Speaking about the early Raboy Master's, I still remember having the opportunity of picking this copy up, but made the mistake of changing my mind at the last minute:  :luhv:  doh!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/master-comics-26-lost-valley-pedigree-fawcett-1942-cgc-vf-85-white-pages-the-cover-of-this-issue-illustrates-nicely-w/a/808-4448.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|2

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #26 Lost Valley pedigree (Fawcett, 1942) CGC VF+ 8.5 White pages. The cover of this issue illustrates nicely w...

Was down at a SD Con and saw this copy up high on a dealer's wall display for what I thought was a very enticing price of only $900 or thereabouts.  Just as I was about to make him an offer, I decided to walk down to the Basement Comics booth and asked to see a copy of their Lost Valley Collection catalogue for one last check.  Since this was about a year or so after the whole pressing controversy had erupted on the boards here, was rather turned off when I saw the book had been initially slabbed as a CGC 8.0 even though it had been listed for $1,150 at the time back then.  :censored:

Can't remember now if it was sitting in a CGC 8.5 slab or its final CGC 9.0 slab (most likely) when I saw the book, but now that my then disdain for pressed books have mellowed after all these long years on the boards here, I probably should have picked it up based upon the very reasonable price, let alone the fact that it would sure look pretty sitting in my personal collection today.  :(

Just took a look at my Lost Valley Catalogue and makes me wonder where all of these Master's are today since this pedigree had a pretty intact run from Master 22 right through to Master 45. hm

On 7/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, mlansdown said:

This thread needs a new title: 

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap (But Not Always)

Well saying they "can be" means it's not a rule. That's the whole point. They are golden age gems that can go for thousands, but they can also go for less than $100. Like these 2 that I just picked up. Bought them from Harley at a Canadian con so I paid the sticker price but in Canadian dollars so they came out to $50 USD and $60 USD respectively (no tax, no shipping of course). Pretty cheap for GA. One's a Raboy and the other is a Communist Menace cover.

20220712_211251.jpg

20220712_211304.jpg

Edited by William-James88