• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Market correction , will we see any effect on comics?
7 7

476 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

My eBay sales last night were many new GPA records on basically non-key BA Marvels.

Remember 2008-2009 were banners years for CGC comics.  Not saying anything is a lock, but comics and collectibles seem to do better when the markets are in turmoil.  Hell I am selling books now so I can buy more stocks. 

Wow, no way.  Is this happening with everyone else?  @fastballspecial

On 3/10/2020 at 2:12 AM, VintageComics said:

Actually, it's probably most related to mandatory tax collection and bidders paying less for their comics to compensate for increased taxes. I would peg that as the primary reason.

This was my first thought too, nearly every book seems to be down 5-10% from december sales, you can still see the results from completed auctions.  Michigan was one of the states that joined the mandated collection states in 2020 and there were many others.  SO far I've only bought 3 books this year.

26 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Wow, no way.  Is this happening with everyone else?  @fastballspecial

not happening to me, I just listed a massive slab thread in the silver/bronze for sale forum too.

Edited by 90sChild

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:
3 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

My eBay sales last night were many new GPA records on basically non-key BA Marvels.

Remember 2008-2009 were banners years for CGC comics.  Not saying anything is a lock, but comics and collectibles seem to do better when the markets are in turmoil.  Hell I am selling books now so I can buy more stocks. 

Wow, no way.  Is this happening with everyone else?  

I don't know, but the stuff I'm bidding on at eBay is going great guns.  However, not stuff that is real populated in GPA.

24 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
55 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I don't know, but the stuff I'm bidding on at eBay is going great guns.  However, not stuff that is real populated in GPA.

Yennefer memorabilia? 

Yeah - the soiled stuff seems to be in demand.

14 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

You only sell slabs, correct?  Slabs seem to be doing fine but I’m see a huge slow down this week in raw filler (even hot fillers).  Like fall off the face of the earth slow down.

Just now, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I humbly disagree. The $50k and over books were hit hard. The $10k and under books did well

Thanks, I was indeed thinking of books below 50K (hell, I was looking at below 8K, I aint a millionaire), since those were the ones I was looking at, hoping for a deal which didn't come. 

56 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks, I was indeed thinking of books below 50K (hell, I was looking at below 8K, I aint a millionaire), since those were the ones I was looking at, hoping for a deal which didn't come. 

There's no shortage of disagreement on 2008. For whatever its worth maybe a majority of the older boardies here I've read from claim it was mostly unscathed for comics. I wish I had a better grasp of the situation at the time but I wasn't in a position to be collecting pricey slabs. Keep in mind there may have been a filling out of the census going on at the time.